“Not up to standard”

Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Western Australia
“Not up to standard”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last Saturday night and we were disapointed. We had a nice room - obviously clean and tidy (it is new). It was no different to other hotel rooms in good hotels. We were very disapointed in the parking. We were told to park at the side of the hotel as this was free. When we couldn't get a space there i went back to reception and agreed to pay $35 for underground parking as we had to put our car somewhere. When we returned back to the hotel at 10.30pm we could not get in. They didn't charge us after we complained. When we were walking into the hotel there was a group of young people on the balcony giving cheek. During the night several times we were woken with people talking in the halway - they sounded like they were in our room. Not safisfactory for the style of the place. The bed was comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear casper009,
With sincere regret to hear of your experience at the car park and room entry in the night. We have since had our key card reader rectified as there has been a glitch over that period.
The noise along the corridor I can imagine would be most distrubing. We have since upgraded our 24-hours Close Circuit Surveillance and with the assistance of guests informing us any opportunities, we envisage that we could react expeditiously should we be faced with a similar occasion.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is a new build hotel which I totally understand. One can forgive plaster on the carpets, unfinished naked concrete, dust everywhere, dirty windows, etc but you would think this is where the service would really outshine the shortcomings...but alas no.

The arrival at the hotel was my first & lasting impression. I've spent 20 years in hospitality & never experienced such a poor example if bad service. I now know how prisoners feel in arrival to a jail.

Upon arriving at the desk the young fellow simply looked vaguely at me. I'm not too sure if he took me for a mirage or a possible figment of his imagination but the blank stare & lack of standard social greetings left an uncomfortable silence. 5 of those uncomfortable seconds later I said hello & introduced myself. Now I'm not too sure if he was alive or processing the little information I passed him in a standard international welcome but he still made no effort to welcome me or my family to the newly completed hotel.

After giving my name, date of stay, room booked & booking details (which the first piece of info he could have quite easily asked for upon arrival to save me giving all this) he said I had a double booking. I know what this is due to experience but I don't need to hear that. A 2nd person came into equation & reiterated the same info...again I don't need to know this.

After 10 mins of too's & fro's I finally managed to get a key & checked in. Yeh, finally. Lasting impression & hopefully time will improve this process. The foyer is very nice, modern & spacious. The first thing I noticed were the elevators, 4 of them, didn't chime when they arrived so after what seemed forever this dawned upon us. Please add a chime.

Room entry is refreshing as you wave key over sensor & door also illuminates "Do Not Disturb" & "Make My Room". 1 Bedroom Suite is spacious with large windows & modern with minimalist feel. Chaise couch & single chair felt uncomfortable after 10 mins. Kitchen was well equipped for a long stay with dishwasher, electric stove top, cutlery, crockery, kettle, convection oven & glassware.

Bed was a zipper king but I like a semi/hard bed & this was plump & I had a reasonably bad sleep due to this. Airco when you left the room had to be reset or it was hot in the room so don't forget that. Bath was good & sprout impressive. Shower was nice but bathroom cramped if two in there. Unfortunate.

Pool was nice but felt like a cathedral as if someone spoke at one end then someone at other end heard. The echo was cavernous. The large windows were nice with a view but the new build next door may look onto another building. Spa ok & good size. Gym looked well equipped too.

So the hotel would have revived a higher rating if the welcome was better (or even human) & slightly cleaner. Not picking but first impressions count. The future may present a better quality hotel in Perth...fingers crossed

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank JVG23
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear JVG23,
We will certainly address the first impressions at the Front Office that you have mentioned, much appreciate it. Noted on your opinions on the hotels hardware.
Sydney
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Three weeks since Fraser Suites Perth opened its doors, and it's set to be a winner: excellent position, lovely decor, good bathroom products, really good bed. But what sets this place apart is its accessibility. I have a friend with a disability and she'd be right at home here. The doorways are extra wide, there are railings in all the right places and there is even a shower seat or a chair in the bathroom. At the same time, it's so tastefully done that it's perfect for all guests, and you don't have the feeling you're in some kind of special room. With free buses right at the door and a ramp for access, Fraser Suites and its designers deserve special mention for getting this so right. Bravo!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joanna K
Dear Joanna K,
We are indeed delighted that you have had a pleasant recent stay and appreciated our facilities. I am delighted to let you know that we are still bringing onboard more services which we are certain that our esteem guests as yourself will enjoy.
Singapore
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed 5 nights at this new property which opened recently. Knowing that it is new and I expect glitches during my stay, I was totally surprised there weren't many glitch as expected. The check-in was smooth though the gentleman serving me could not pronounce my surname and even during my stay it was still pronounced wrongly. Actually I am used to it.

I was given a room facing the main road, which was OK for me except that the noise from the vehicles during the night was driving me crazy! The room was a Suite and it was spacious! All the amenities was there. The welcome fruit bowl was great but they forgot the cutlery. Full kitchenette, strong water pressure, large HD TV (two, one in the living room and the other in the bedroom), full length mirror but the dining table was blocking it. Overall, it was a comfortable suite. jJust one thing, the pillows were to high and uncomfortable.

Breakfast was OK - nothing to shout about. The service from the staff was excellent though. The gym was well equipped and the indoor pool was awesome.

The hotel is located about 25 mins walk to the Murray/Hay Street Square and closer to the hotel are 24/7 convenient shops. The Guest services was excellent in providing info about Perth.

Overall, I had a good stay and thanks to the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Try to request a room away from the main road as the noise from the vehicles is unbearable.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Maxmaya,
Certainly delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us recently and appreciated the new facility and offerings.
Only too sorry to know that you have been disturbed by the road traffic. Do let me know of your next intended visit and I will ensure that you have a more restful room.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I had high expectations for this hotel as I have stayed at other Fraser Suites around the world that have been absolutely wonderful ! Boy was I in for an awakening . From the moment I checked in I was informed the room I had selected was not available.. However I was being moved to a larger better room with twin beds as requested. Not the case at all.. Once I returned down stairs I was told firmly to take a seat and they would assist me soon. Two hours later.. I was still waiting behind 16 or so other customers.. Waiting to be served by one of the two people serving . I stood closer to the counter only to be told to sit down and wait firmly once again !! By this time I had enough of the waiting game asked for a refund so I could move on to another hotel, this took another hour waiting to be acknowledged .. I eventually was forced to raise my voice to get served. If you don't mind waiting hours for your room or the next best thing than its the hotel for you. If your not opposed to being spoken to like a child .. It's for you. The hotel it's self is lovely ! It's a shame the staff let the place down.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank giorgiadettoni
Dear giorgiadettoni,
Delighted to hear that you enjoy the new facilities and above all, indeed appreciative of your candid feedback of your experience with us. I will certainly take it back to the team in our strife for improvement at all guest contact areas. We hope to be able to realize your return visit and experience the change.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had 3 nights here in suite 1602 from 26 October. It really felt like the hotel systems weren't sorted and little things weren't happening. The suite itself was larger than we needed but very nice all the same. The decor is very beige. There was no room compendium so we were left wondering how some things worked TV, music, lighting etc. AC grill In the bedroom needs directing away from the bed. Even at 23 degrees my partner was left with a cold - maybe just needs calibrating.
We asked for some milk to make a cup of tea at reception after arriving back after dinner. Rather than sorting it on the spot we were told they would send some up. I waited up for a while thinking they would arrive soon with the milk - I'm still waiting.
Breakfast is $35 per person. They offer a 25% discount for house guests but I still think this is a bit rich for a buffet breakfast. There aren't any immediate cafe neighbours but if you walk a block or two towards the CBD there are a few options at normal prices.
All in all it is great in bricks and mortar and I would stay again but wish I wasn't one of the first guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CraigAH,
Appreciate your testimony of your staying experience at #1602. We will surely be able to receive you better in your next visit.

Canberra
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Freser Suites Perth has not officially opened yet so there are a few teething poblems. The spa and sauna were not working and the fire alarm went off twice. The staff were very courtous but obviously new on the job and it took a longer time to book in as they were all getting used to the booking system. However if you are prepared to overlook these minor details, you are in for a wonderful experience at a new and perfectly appointed hotel.

Room Tip: Specify wheter you want a double or twin to save time.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Francis T,
Much appreciate your comments. Delighted to let you know that we have since replaced the faults at the Spa and Sauna. We will be upgrading from the original devise which will be more user friendly. The fault that we have experienced for the fire alarm activation have been eliminated as well with the consultants presiding.

We look forward to receiving you next and confident that you will have a more delightful staying experience.