“7/10 - New hotel with potential but service needs major attention as first impressions count”

Fraser Suites Perth
Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is a new build hotel which I totally understand. One can forgive plaster on the carpets, unfinished naked concrete, dust everywhere, dirty windows, etc but you would think this is where the service would really outshine the shortcomings...but alas no.

The arrival at the hotel was my first & lasting impression. I've spent 20 years in hospitality & never experienced such a poor example if bad service. I now know how prisoners feel in arrival to a jail.

Upon arriving at the desk the young fellow simply looked vaguely at me. I'm not too sure if he took me for a mirage or a possible figment of his imagination but the blank stare & lack of standard social greetings left an uncomfortable silence. 5 of those uncomfortable seconds later I said hello & introduced myself. Now I'm not too sure if he was alive or processing the little information I passed him in a standard international welcome but he still made no effort to welcome me or my family to the newly completed hotel.

After giving my name, date of stay, room booked & booking details (which the first piece of info he could have quite easily asked for upon arrival to save me giving all this) he said I had a double booking. I know what this is due to experience but I don't need to hear that. A 2nd person came into equation & reiterated the same info...again I don't need to know this.

After 10 mins of too's & fro's I finally managed to get a key & checked in. Yeh, finally. Lasting impression & hopefully time will improve this process. The foyer is very nice, modern & spacious. The first thing I noticed were the elevators, 4 of them, didn't chime when they arrived so after what seemed forever this dawned upon us. Please add a chime.

Room entry is refreshing as you wave key over sensor & door also illuminates "Do Not Disturb" & "Make My Room". 1 Bedroom Suite is spacious with large windows & modern with minimalist feel. Chaise couch & single chair felt uncomfortable after 10 mins. Kitchen was well equipped for a long stay with dishwasher, electric stove top, cutlery, crockery, kettle, convection oven & glassware.

Bed was a zipper king but I like a semi/hard bed & this was plump & I had a reasonably bad sleep due to this. Airco when you left the room had to be reset or it was hot in the room so don't forget that. Bath was good & sprout impressive. Shower was nice but bathroom cramped if two in there. Unfortunate.

Pool was nice but felt like a cathedral as if someone spoke at one end then someone at other end heard. The echo was cavernous. The large windows were nice with a view but the new build next door may look onto another building. Spa ok & good size. Gym looked well equipped too.

So the hotel would have revived a higher rating if the welcome was better (or even human) & slightly cleaner. Not picking but first impressions count. The future may present a better quality hotel in Perth...fingers crossed

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank JVG23
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear JVG23,
We will certainly address the first impressions at the Front Office that you have mentioned, much appreciate it. Noted on your opinions on the hotels hardware.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Three weeks since Fraser Suites Perth opened its doors, and it's set to be a winner: excellent position, lovely decor, good bathroom products, really good bed. But what sets this place apart is its accessibility. I have a friend with a disability and she'd be right at home here. The doorways are extra wide, there are railings in all the right places and there is even a shower seat or a chair in the bathroom. At the same time, it's so tastefully done that it's perfect for all guests, and you don't have the feeling you're in some kind of special room. With free buses right at the door and a ramp for access, Fraser Suites and its designers deserve special mention for getting this so right. Bravo!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joanna K
Dear Joanna K,
We are indeed delighted that you have had a pleasant recent stay and appreciated our facilities. I am delighted to let you know that we are still bringing onboard more services which we are certain that our esteem guests as yourself will enjoy.
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed 5 nights at this new property which opened recently. Knowing that it is new and I expect glitches during my stay, I was totally surprised there weren't many glitch as expected. The check-in was smooth though the gentleman serving me could not pronounce my surname and even during my stay it was still pronounced wrongly. Actually I am used to it.

I was given a room facing the main road, which was OK for me except that the noise from the vehicles during the night was driving me crazy! The room was a Suite and it was spacious! All the amenities was there. The welcome fruit bowl was great but they forgot the cutlery. Full kitchenette, strong water pressure, large HD TV (two, one in the living room and the other in the bedroom), full length mirror but the dining table was blocking it. Overall, it was a comfortable suite. jJust one thing, the pillows were to high and uncomfortable.

Breakfast was OK - nothing to shout about. The service from the staff was excellent though. The gym was well equipped and the indoor pool was awesome.

The hotel is located about 25 mins walk to the Murray/Hay Street Square and closer to the hotel are 24/7 convenient shops. The Guest services was excellent in providing info about Perth.

Overall, I had a good stay and thanks to the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Try to request a room away from the main road as the noise from the vehicles is unbearable.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Maxmaya,
Certainly delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us recently and appreciated the new facility and offerings.
Only too sorry to know that you have been disturbed by the road traffic. Do let me know of your next intended visit and I will ensure that you have a more restful room.
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I had high expectations for this hotel as I have stayed at other Fraser Suites around the world that have been absolutely wonderful ! Boy was I in for an awakening . From the moment I checked in I was informed the room I had selected was not available.. However I was being moved to a larger better room with twin beds as requested. Not the case at all.. Once I returned down stairs I was told firmly to take a seat and they would assist me soon. Two hours later.. I was still waiting behind 16 or so other customers.. Waiting to be served by one of the two people serving . I stood closer to the counter only to be told to sit down and wait firmly once again !! By this time I had enough of the waiting game asked for a refund so I could move on to another hotel, this took another hour waiting to be acknowledged .. I eventually was forced to raise my voice to get served. If you don't mind waiting hours for your room or the next best thing than its the hotel for you. If your not opposed to being spoken to like a child .. It's for you. The hotel it's self is lovely ! It's a shame the staff let the place down.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank giorgiadettoni
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear giorgiadettoni,
Delighted to hear that you enjoy the new facilities and above all, indeed appreciative of your candid feedback of your experience with us. I will certainly take it back to the team in our strife for improvement at all guest contact areas. We hope to be able to realize your return visit and experience the change.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had 3 nights here in suite 1602 from 26 October. It really felt like the hotel systems weren't sorted and little things weren't happening. The suite itself was larger than we needed but very nice all the same. The decor is very beige. There was no room compendium so we were left wondering how some things worked TV, music, lighting etc. AC grill In the bedroom needs directing away from the bed. Even at 23 degrees my partner was left with a cold - maybe just needs calibrating.
We asked for some milk to make a cup of tea at reception after arriving back after dinner. Rather than sorting it on the spot we were told they would send some up. I waited up for a while thinking they would arrive soon with the milk - I'm still waiting.
Breakfast is $35 per person. They offer a 25% discount for house guests but I still think this is a bit rich for a buffet breakfast. There aren't any immediate cafe neighbours but if you walk a block or two towards the CBD there are a few options at normal prices.
All in all it is great in bricks and mortar and I would stay again but wish I wasn't one of the first guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CraigAH,
Appreciate your testimony of your staying experience at #1602. We will surely be able to receive you better in your next visit.

Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Freser Suites Perth has not officially opened yet so there are a few teething poblems. The spa and sauna were not working and the fire alarm went off twice. The staff were very courtous but obviously new on the job and it took a longer time to book in as they were all getting used to the booking system. However if you are prepared to overlook these minor details, you are in for a wonderful experience at a new and perfectly appointed hotel.

Room Tip: Specify wheter you want a double or twin to save time.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Francis T,
Much appreciate your comments. Delighted to let you know that we have since replaced the faults at the Spa and Sauna. We will be upgrading from the original devise which will be more user friendly. The fault that we have experienced for the fire alarm activation have been eliminated as well with the consultants presiding.

We look forward to receiving you next and confident that you will have a more delightful staying experience.
Southport UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

There is an exciting new development in Perth which has set a totally new reference standard in the luxury and comfort it provides for those fortunate guests who have chosen to make this complex their home when visiting Perth.

We were very extremely fortunate to have found their web site in good time for our visit to Perth, which happily coincided with the opening of this prestigious new development, however nothing could have prepared us for the opulent surroundings which greeted us upon our arrival from Perth International airport at 3.00 a.m.

We were warmly greeted at the reception desk and our reservation was processed with speed and efficiency, before we were escorted to our one bedroom executive studio apartment, which was offered as a free upgrade as part of a current promotion running until 31st December 2012.

On opening the door of this luxurious suite, it became immediately obvious to us that an interior designer had excelled in transforming the room into a welcoming haven of luxury, peace and tranquility, seldom experienced in apartment accommodation. The ambience of the property exudes an upper level of luxury which exceeds even the finest hotels in any major city of the world, and you could be forgiven for thinking this is luxury at the level of Royalty!

The apartment offers a spacious fully fitted kitchen with every modern convenience to delight the most accomplished cook, and gourmet meals can readily be prepared with all the necessary cooking utensils and gadgets you could wish for. A modern dining table and chairs complements the food preparation area, and leads on to a relaxation lounge equipped with LCD TV and a stereo system for entertainment. Overlooking the Swan river, the large picture double glazed windows offer panoramic views of the parkland area adjacent to the river, whilst traffic noise is non-existent from its prime position in Perth.

On entering the bedroom and en-suite bathroom area, situated off the main room, one is immediately aware of the tranquil and calm atmosphere they have managed to introduce into this spacious apartment, with provision of a wall mounted TV iPod sound system and alarm clock, telephone, and the most comfortable beds, equipped with the highest quality linen and luxurious cushion an pillows dress the bed in a seductive and inviting manner. The en-suite bathroom offers its guests an opportunity to sample a wet room shower, with quality cosmetics and gels to luxuriate with. Included in the kitchen area is a self contained washer/drier, together with an incorporated sink to ensure that your clothes are always at their best, and this is of some significant importance since you are sure to want to be well dressed and of smart appearance when walking the corridors of this smartest luxury address in Perth.

Every aspect of this apartment complex is presented at the highest possible level of comfort and is packed with design features you will marvel at. the Dining room at the hotel is an experience you will not forget, and here you can enjoy a tasty breakfast of your choice, served with high quality cutlery and crockery which is sure to please even the most discerning guest. There is an al-fresco area off the main dining room where guests can enjoy the fresh air whist sampling the delights of this outstandingly impressive new development.

We had fortunately made our reservations to last for 4 days duration; sufficient time to sample the many varied menus on offer including a chocolate fountain daily prepared in the dining room, and were favourably impressed with the carefully selected staff members throughout the complex who have been employed to cater for your every need.

This exquisite address in perth has only been open for business for less than 1 month, and despite initial minor teething troubles in the first few days of operation, they have managed to build a reputation for high quality, attention to detail, and above all, a new reference standard in hotel management which continues to challenge the well established levels of older establishments in Perth city.

Under the management direction of Tamara Kasalica, the future of this new development is assured as she brings to the complex a wealth of experience in hotel management, well suited to the challenge this exciting new venture in apartment living brings to the area. Fraser properties have every justifiable reason to be extremely proud of this their latest building which is guaranteed to succeed as more discerning travellers, be they business personnel or holiday makers, discover the delights of staying in the heart of the city of Perth with all the convenience of City CBD access, whilst enjoying the splendour of Fraser Suites on Adelaide Street.

Why would you choose to stay in an hotel when you can have all the luxury you could wish for, together with the convenience of a home from home?
Take my recommendation and choose to stay at the Fraser Suites and I am certain that you will be as astonished as we have been. Another success story to be supported by discerning patrons.

Room Tip: Take this unique opportunity to sample the delights of an executive room in this property; you will...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RGS1000
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear RGS1000,
Thank you ever so much for the delightful comments and most importantly, glad to learn that you've had a pleasant stay with us.
I am happy to know that Tamara have assisted and have helped with your stay.
We certainly look forward to receiving you back with us.
Best wishes.