“What A Dump”

Comfort Inn & Suites Goodearth Perth
Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am amazed that anyone could review this hotel as a good one. This ranks as one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I was travelling with ten other people who were also booked into this hotel. Within minutes of check in, we were all calling each other saying what an awful hotel it was and immediately discussed trying to get another hotel. Therefore, my opinion is also shared by the other's I travelled with.
The hotel is old and musty. I was almost sick from the odor in my rooom. I'm not sure what the odor was but it smelled like I was in a hospital. The bedding was old and very uninviting. I did not want to sleep on the sheets they provided, therefore I threw my clothes over the sheets and slept on those. The room cost in excess of $300.00 per night. (what a joke)
I did not know this until I asked at the front desk clerk ( because someone else made the reservation and paid for it). I was expecting him to say that the cost was $60.00 or $70.00, so I almost fell to the floor when he told me the price. In fact, he said it could cost as much as $500.00 on any given night. It is one of the most depressing places I've been to in many years. Stay away, this is a real dump. Next morning we checked out and checked into the Duxton (about a mile down the road) an amazing 5 star hotel at around the same price (at least it was on that day) Calling this hotel "The Good Earth" is also very misleading.
Rather than trying to save all that water they should heat it up and give the place a good scrubbing, put in new carpet,bedding, and a few coats of paint (just for starters) and maybe then it would rank as an "acceptable" room for the night for those on a real budget. BTW..I ordered room service and I had to go and pick it up myself from the restaurant.(I thought the idea of room service is that they bring it to you) The in house restaurant is awful and the cooks handle meats and vegetables with their hands. I quickly went across the street to the Dome restaurant which was very good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank mambojo

Reviewed October 10, 2012

room 611, extremely noisey elevator, all night I was constantly woken by the lift noise travelling through to my room as though it might as well of been in my room.
I guess noise is the biggest issue here, doors closing, people in hallways, the noise just travelled but the elevator noise drove me insane!!!!!
Bathroom was so small, had to contort to get in and out making sure the door was closed so I could actually get into the shower, anyone bigger would really struggle, ergonomics and design is shocking.
Food on the dine in menu was terrible, very basic and overpriced.
Luckly I did not pay for my stay as my work did, but I will be recommending the book elsewhere in the future.
Make sure if you get room 611 ask to be moved!!! or prepare to listen to an elevator all night.

Room Tip: dont stay in room 611 if you want a peacful nights sleep, constant elevator noise heard easily in ro...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank mattieflavour
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Having recently stayed at this hotel, I was most impressed.
We had a 2 room apartment which was very comfortable.
The hotel is well situated and only a few minutes walk to other hotels and the city or the river.
The free bus leaves from outside the hotel.
We had the full buffet breakfast which was great and a very reasonable cost.
The staff were very helpfull and friendly.
Free car parking was a bonus as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank faboio
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Well Perth was the Best Place.
It was very lovely and you where able to travel from out side the Goodearth Hotel on a free bus that took you around the city for free, you could get on and off and it would not cost you any thing for the day, it takes you to the train so you can take the train to where you would like to Freemantle/ down to the last stop and then up to scarbough where the wave beachers are.
YOu can walk fromt he Goodearth Hotel to the City it and around if you wish it has alot of old buildings and lots of Photo Opertunities. then if you walk it again at night the lights change the whole City. The city the shops are all over they have little Allies that look so coolies with little shops in them with alsorts of this nicknakes, I love this place it is clean and tidy and it is the Simply life and so relaxing. Fantastic rail service and bus service, lots of cheap places to eat. in the city.
I would recommend Perth to any one, you would have to go to the Cosino that is different, for me it did not work but it might for you.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room away from the Lifts. A quiter Room.. Corner suites are large and sunny"...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yabba569
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We ended up here because all other good value options were closed but didnt regret it. We arrived late so could park our car on the little side street and the next morning there was space in the free car park. The breakfast was incl in the Booking.com deal we got and it was definitely OK breakfast. No complaints. Would stay here again if same deal and wanting a hotel room.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was a little unsure after reading TA reviews but the price was great for Perth. Stayed one night in a large, clean. well appointed room with plenty of TV options incl 4 free movie channels. On TA advice asked for a got a room away from the main road which was quiet. Staff were helpful, room service good value and quick. Location excellent with mainstays of supermarket and grog shop a block away. Free bus shuttle also a block away to enable getting around cbd easily. Recommend highly on this visit.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from main road.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We went to Perth for a Vietnam Vets 6 RAR reunion. PosItion of hotel was pretty good. Free bus service runs next street over. The reception staff could not be any more helpful. They were terrific.
Our room on the other hand was very disappointing. The bathroom did not have a fan for steam or smell. The towel rail was only big enough for one towel so instead of being enviromentally friendly we asked for clean ones each day. If it had another towel rail we could have used same towel for a couple of days. No hand towel or face washer. Bed was comfortable. Would have been nice to have lounge chairs for watching TV or relaxing. Ours were more like kitchen chairs.
On the first night there was 10 of us and we tried to eat in the restaurant. They had half of it blocked off and the other half full. We were told because only one chef on. We were told we could eat in the Cafe and Chef approved we could eat from Restaurant or Cafe Menu. Would have made more sense to open up the other half of restaurant. The table and chairs in cafe are more for coffee and cake dining, not a meal. I did not feel like eating my evening meal off my lap. We left and went to the Grosvenor around the corner where they have a great menu and could accommodate us with no problems. The meals we all had we're just beautiful and so we went back. Good Earth lost a lot of revenue from us not eating there. Not just food but also drink. I estimate we would have spent at least $3000 on evening meals for the 5 nights. You would think a big hotel like this would accommodate more than 30 people for their evening meal. We booked months ago so they knew we were coming. To only open half the restaurant was an insult. On principal we did not eat there except breakfast, which was included in the price of our room. Breakfast was another fiasco. Tables were not cleared until you left. Would have been nice to have all finished plates cleared so you could have a cuppa and enjoy the view of the river without all the clutter on the table. A bit more attention to detail would not go astray.
I have stayed in a lot of Hotels and this was far from the standard required to charge us $170 a night. We have been to Perth a few times and I don't think we will stay here again next time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends