“BEWARE OF NO PARKING FACILITIES and poor service”
Review of Mantra on Murray

Mantra on Murray
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Perth, Australia
“BEWARE OF NO PARKING FACILITIES and poor service”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked this on-line as we have a huge amount to do with the Perth Telethon and considered that it may have been advantageous to catch a few hours sleep rather than driving home before having to come back to the Telethon.

After driving into Murray Street at about 12-15 to check-in problems arose with:-

1. No area to stop at the front to unload
2. No parking anywhere for your vehicle as all parking areas in a close proximity close at midnight
3. Murray Street right near this location is like a wild zoo at this time on a Saturday night
4. Cars, taxis abusing us for parking in one lane out the front while trying to unload

My husband had to stay with the car while for security reasons while I tried to get some sort of assistance to get our luggage inside and to get information from the staff about where to leave our car, however they really didn't give a rats about our situation.
The best option then for us was to go home and forego the $400+ that we paid for the two nights accommodation.

Very disappointed that a hotel like this is on offer for people coming to Perth.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kazzagirl
Peter_Halliday, General Manager at Mantra on Murray, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Kazzagirl,

I am most disappointed to read your comments.

I am sorry that you found the parking options unsuitable or unavailable. It was indeed an extraordinarily busy weekend with the opening of the Perth Arena and Telethon telecast from PCEC taking place alongside the normal activity that occurs in the city at night time.

Like many hotels throughout Australia, especially in central city locations, Mantra on Murray was not built with carparking facilities. We are very particular to ensure this is communicated in all our literature and in the information provided on all the various websites we feature on including the site you booked through.
In an effort to address the problem, Perth City Council have designated a parking bay at the front of the hotel as a 5 minute set down/pickup only bay.
Unfortunately Council Parking Rangers are the only people who can enforce this and only by issuing infringement notices.
We also have an affiliation with the Wilsons Carpark nearby in Queen Street where we purchase 1, 3 and 5 day tickets at a discount and pass these on at cost to our clientele. In addition we keep a list of all the nearby available carparks and I am informed that this was provided to you and your husband when you arrived at the hotel. We are aware that parking options in Perth are limited after midnight on any night of the week but regret that we are unable to influence the opening and closing times of those businesses.

Peter Halliday

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

If you have exceptionally low standards then this is the place for you. The walls clearly have not seen a paint brush for years, carpets wearing and the bar / restaurant area is one of the most depressing I've seen anywhere in the world. However it's the staff that that is the worst part of staying at this hotel. Arrogant, condascending and unhelpful are just 3 appropriate adjectives to describe them. I could go on but suffice to say just don't stay here.

Room Tip: Tip. Stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank tamfaeglesga
Peter_Halliday, General Manager at Mantra on Murray, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Mantra on Murray. I am most disappointed that you have not enjoyed your experience with us.
Over the last two years we have spent an enormous amount of money refurbishing the hotel including painting and re-carpeting the rooms 20 months ago, and painting and re-carpeting all the public areas including the foyer, corridors and banqueting facilities in the last 4 months. It was therefore quite a shock that you describe the property as needing paint and having worn carpet.
I am truly sorry if our service and hospitality has not been up to our normal high standards. I would certainly welcome an opportunity to discuss in detail your experience so that we can improve in the future.

Margaret River, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at the Mantra on Murray when I collected my daughter from the airport after an overseas trip. The location was perfect, right in the heart of the city. There is not onsite parking available, but the hotel has an arrangement at a facility near by for a very reasonable fee (For Perth standards anyway).
The staff were very nice and helpful and the room was as we had requested. It was also clean and bright. We could not fault the hotel or our experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle W
Peter_Halliday, General Manager at Mantra on Murray, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you Michelle W for your review of Mantra on Murray.
I am very pleased you enjoyed the xperience and found our staff to be helpfull and friendly.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Ive stayed at the Mantra on Murray a few times now and it never disappoints. Soon as you walk in the staff are there to help and are so friendly. The rooms are very clean, modern and good size. I always stay in the studio room which is the smallest and it is quite large for inner city hotel room.
I was advised of the in-room menu choices and they were honest enough to say after 10pm the menu is very simple so dont expect a huge selection. I love that they were so honest and informed me of this because a lot of the time you order something and what you get isnt worth the money.
You step outside the front doors and you are on Murray street which is full of pubs, cocktail lounges and eateries. big selection within walking distance & the train station being just over the road is a bonus also.
GREAT GREAT HOTEL. RECCOMMEND IT TO ANYONE.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Mantra on Murray
We are working hard to deliver friendly hospitality in a comfortable environment. I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Mantra on Murray
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We loved staying here. The staff were friendly, the room was beautiful and we had an amazing view. This is the best hotel I have stayed in and I would recommend it to anyone. Beautiful place all round!

• Stayed October 2012
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Ive never put a review on Tripadvisor before but due to my recent stay at the Mantra on Murray I felt compelled to.

The hotel is nice and modern in an excellent location in Perth's CBD, a minutes walk away from the Underground Station which connects the city to its neighbouring suburbs. It is also a short stroll to the beautiful Kings Park and many local restaurants and bars.

The rooms are spacious, clean and tidy. With well equipped and sized bathrooms and bedrooms. Apart from the above and a few more elements this is all the Mantra has to offer.

During our stay the internet went down for 4 days in which we were told after day 2 the engineer was in and all would be fixed by the evening. Day 4 came and still no internet, so another trip to the front desk resulted in being told the connection was being changed frm broadband to wireless. How come this was not told beforehand? Even after the wireless connection was up and running, the download speed is pitiful at around 150kb!

The fire alarm literally goes off every 2 days. As previously mentioned in another comment, the half past 2 in the morning alarm was a real treat!!

With the exception of one front staff employee who was most helpful and nice, after a few days of staying the rest became arrogant and very short with us. For a couple who stayed in the hotel for 2 weeks and barely require any assistance, this was quite bizarre in our view.

Overall, if your on a one night business trip then the Mantra is for you (expense pending). If your heading for a long weekend or a week vacation avoid, avoid, avoid!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brett L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I found this accommodation via last minute (Au) using their 'secret room' facility for on average between $135 to $150 per night (I stayed 4 nights in total and nightly rates varied). As we know, Perth is an expensive city in which to stay (with accommodation in great demand), so the above cost probably represented okay value. I stayed on the 3rd floor (several lifts were available for clientele) and had requested a rear facing room to avoid any possible noise from Murray Street at the front of the building.

The studio apartment was modern, incredibly spacious, well appointed, comfortable and clean. The bed was large and incredibly comfortable, with high quality linen and pillows.Lovely space in which to stay. The bathroom was a good size, and well appointed. The shower pressure could have been better.

My only legitimate minor criticism is regarding housekeeping - one day my room was not made up, despite there not being a 'do not disturb' card on my door. When I mentioned this, an apology was made but I was informed that housekeeping staff had left day so not much could be done. To be fair I was asked whether I needed anything e.g. more coffee or towels. On my check out day, I was disturbed early twice in succession by housekeeping. When raising the latter issue, front desk staff were most apologetic and dealt effectively with the matter.

The reception staff were pleasant, friendly, professional and helpful.One young lady was particularly helpful in sourcing local GPs for me as I had become quite ill - thank you.

Overall I would definitely recommend Mantra on Murray and hope to stay again one day.

Room Tip: Request a rear facing room to prevent any noise from main street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo