“Terrible shower !”
Review of Mantra on Murray

Mantra on Murray
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed October 6, 2012

As far as serviced apartments go this is pretty standard and functional with all that you need and in a good location.

What I do need to have a moan about is the utterly woeful shower !
1) the taps have writing on them that is so small that no binoculors could assist with working out which was the hot and the cold (and there were four taps in total)
2) and they turned in opposite directions so it took some time to work it all out.
3) when finally on at full turn - the water pressure was ummmmm not "pressure" at all ! It was barely strong enough to wash soap off your body - certainly impossible to get shampoo or conditioner out of your hair.

Utterly abysmal as far as showers in a mid range quality hotel/serviced apartment go.

Its off my list for any future trips.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Mantra on Murray which was a decision made at the last minute we were pleasantly surprised at the great location close to hay st & murray st malls as well as several restaurants and bars to choose from for a great night out in Perth. The room was large, very clean and stocked with everything we needed, staff were very friendly and helpful also

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Mantra on Murray is located in the business centre of Perth. This time I asked the local office in Perth to book the hotel for me.
When travel I need to have a comfortable bed, clean room and bathroom and Wi-Fi. As extra service I look for swimming pool and gymnasium.
I had the bad surprise to find that in this expensive hotel, in the heart of the City Business District, they do not provide Wi-Fi connection. Internet is available via cable only and it cost 25 AUSD a day, which has no sense. Anyway the room is large and clean, the bed is comfortable and at the end this is a good hotel for its location if you haven't the needs I have.
The restaurant is on the average. I had the dish of the day, consisting on lamb coming with mashed potatoes, asparagus and glass of wine. The lamb wasn't remarkable, the asparagus were tasteless and pure was too large portion. I had also a good bruschetta and 1/2 of water. I think that the food is too expensive for the quality they offer. I paid about 60 AUSD for that.
The breakfast is ok, without shame, without price. But again 22 AUSD for a continental breakfast is too expensive. The service is very good, receptionists and waiters are very helpful and they are very kind.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here for one night in passing, the room was quite large with a kitchenette included, I got a deal on Wotif. Overall my room was comfortable, clean and I enjoyed my stay. The staff were helpful and friendly, the food was nice. Its close to shops and all your shopping needs. I'd stay here again definitely.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My partner and I stayed here last week. He often stays at Mantra on Murray for business and I accompanied him this time, having never seen Perth before.

I used to work for a hotel company and as a result have quite low expectations of chain hotels and their staff, who I know are often poorly trained and underpaid for what they have to deal with. I was really pleasantly surprised by Mantra on Murray, however. Aside from having a fantastic location just a few steps from the Murray and Hay Street shops, the Mantra employs some genuinely friendly and attentive people, particularly those working at the front desk. They couldn't do enough for us, remembered our names and room number, and actually really enhanced our stay.

Our room was spacious, clean and well-appointed and the bed was comfortable, although it would have been great to have the option of a firmer pillow (they're very soft, feathery ones). We had a comfortable couch and TV with Foxtel channels, plus a small kitchenette. The bathroom's decor was a little dated compared with the room itself, but that's no big issue.

The only complaints I have relate to the bar and restaurant, which are really overpriced (although that's pretty common for hotels) and uninspiring. The white and sparkling wines by the glass, for example, were extremely average, and even though the bar staff are generous in their servings, that doesn't make up for the poor quality. I also live in a dream world that one day free WiFi will be a reality in hotels, particularly ones catering to the business market. If you don't want to pay the $25 for internet access, pop down the street to Wolfe Lane, where you'll find a few cafes (The Secret Garden, Tiger Tiger and Cheeky Sparrow) which offer great coffee and free WiFi when you order. I spent quite a while here with my laptop and really enjoyed the atmosphere.

Beyond that, I had a great stay at Mantra on Murray and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Try not to stay on levels 2 or 5 as these have guest laundries on them and could be noisy if your ro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MissLC
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Last minute business trip so I wasn't looking for anything special, and that's exactly what I got. Perth hotel prices are overly inflated already, so I expected that features that are standard in most hotels I've stayed in in Australia, USA, Canada, Vietnam, Cambodia, Spain etc would also be standard in Perth. Not so. Ordinary room, no wifi (really? There are hotels that still don't do wifi?), view nonexistent. Bed was comfortable, room clean but unremarkable. Nice clean iron. Checkin pleasant, though the facade is just a hole in the wall up some stairs past a lingerie shop. Thank goodness the Belgian Beer Bar is just a couple of doors down. Will seek out better value for money lodgings next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have stayed two and a half weeks at mantra on Murray. Whilst the staff at reception are nice, the rooms average, the rooms service is plain poor.
From a menu that is boring beyond belief to the fact it takes 1 hr and 20 minutes to deliver room service even after ringing at 40minutes and then 1 hr; and then being overcharged beyond belief. I noted my concerns to the desk about the poor performance and then the next night room service can't even find salt nor establish what is available on the menu.
Not once has the manager called or rung to apologise despite repeated polite follow ups.
If you don't need to eat at Mantra on Murray then it is a good place to stay.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business