“Cheap and Cheerful”

Ranked #55 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Cheap and Cheerful”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We booked this hotel knowing that it was an older inner city one. The price of the rooms reflects this. Our room was a good size, clean and adequately furnished. The bed was very comfortable.This is not a modern American type generic hotel, so do not stay here and then moan if that is what you are used to. The staff were helpful and polite.
We liked the central location and enjoyed the food at the restaurant. We plan to stay here when we next go back to Perth.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank colbe_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Indonesian first
Woodend, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The location of this hotel is one of its most attractive features, right near the malls and Carillon, with free bus at the door. It had free WiFi in the room. The welcome drinks and substantial discount for house guests in the restaurant made it hard to eat anywhere else, and the food was good. It is no resort however, with typical inner-city roof views or frosted glass windows in our rooms. The renovation (such as grouting and tap fixtures) are of an amateur standard, but the shower was still clean and enjoyable, and the bed comfortable enough. We didn't need to sit in our room all day, but they are not the kind of rooms you would want to.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grintona
carnarvon
Reviewed August 10, 2012

went there tonight by myself, staff started out friendly enough however they delivered my main when my entree plate was still sitting there. when I tried to talk to here to ask her to take my plate and could I have a glass of wine she was rushing away (note: this was before 7pm, maybe 5 out of 40 tables taken and 4 waitresses so not busy) she did come back but it was a bit inconvenient!
OK that's fine, when I finished and went to pay I mentioned this, the girl said sorry they were so busy so I did point out that actually the restaurant is nearly empty. The waitress did not care at all.

The food was just ok, the soup was tasty though as thin as water, the risotto was nice. would I go there again? Probably not, great location but thats it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank jill42

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 6, 2012

From the website
"The rooms, lobby and its restaurants have been designed to incorporate the style of yester year yet achieving a modern day look through studied creative designing."

Could not find any creative design in my room, which contained a bed without headboard, a small desk and a TV. Clearly the creative designer did not spend a lot of time on creative though on this one.

We checked in after midnight after a long flight and were met by a rude and aggressive night desk clerk. Guy was angry at the world.

Service in the restaurant was non existent, in fact service was non ex1stant everywhere. Best of the bunch were the reception staff.

Based on the website I thought we were going to check in to a beautiful old pub, tastefully renovated to reflect its history. The reality is that the hotel is old and decrepit, while it has been renovated it was renovated on a very tight budget.

We only spent the nights in the room and no other time at the hotel so it was bearable. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank adw b
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Luckely we were only there for 1 night and didn't have to spend much time in the room. The whole hotel is very dated and worn. I was suprised that hotels like this in major cities still exist. The room was very small and looked like student digs with scuff marks on the walls, the paint was very worn on the doors. I couldn't wait to get out of there, it's certainly not a space you would want to spend any time in chilling out and resting after a busy day. The bed was comfortable enough but I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElleBee1234
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

To be fair I'd probably give this one 3.5 stars but that's not an option. I stayed for one night as I was over in Perth for work. Paid about $120 for this hotel which was considerably cheaper than any other option in the CBD. Perth has got really expensive since my last visit!

Like most of the reviews have said, the rooms were clean, but dated. I went in expecting that and thinking I didn't really care if the furnishing were a bit dated, etc, but it really did drag the place down and made it feel dirtier than it was. The paint is peeling off the walls and they are covered in scuff marks, which gives it a bit of a dingy feel. I happened to be there on the coldest night of the year, and the grill on the heater was broken so although it worked, it was noisy and I didn't want to leave it on overnight for that reason. There were no spare blankets in the room so I ended up sleeping in my clothes. I could have asked for another blanket I'm sure but by the time I'd figured all that out I couldn't be bothered calling downstairs. The mattress was comfortable however and the sheets were really clean and looked quite new. The pillow on the other hand was lumpy, and there was no bedhead on the bed. The tap in the bathroom sink sprayed water in all different directions so it was hard to clean your teeth, and it made me think twice about whether to have a shower or not the next morning, especially because the shower door was stuck and I had to wrestle with it to open it. To my surprise however the shower worked fine.

The room was really quiet from the point of view of street noise, however the noise from the water running in an adjacent room was really loud to the point that it drowned out the tv and it made me feel guilty having a shower in the morning as I had to leave quite early and thought I was probably disturbing anyone sharing a wall with me.

In short, I wouldn't not stay here again, especially since the price was so much lower than anywhere else, but if you get a cheap deal in another hotel, I'd probably go with that option.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Claire B
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed in a few of the cheaper hotels in Perth - this is one of the better ones. Clean, good location and ok service. Very small room with dated decor - wouldn't want to be aiming to spend a lot of time in it - but for an overnight stay in Perth in an inner city location, was good. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012