“very drab indeed”

Criterion Hotel Perth
Ranked #58 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Luckely we were only there for 1 night and didn't have to spend much time in the room. The whole hotel is very dated and worn. I was suprised that hotels like this in major cities still exist. The room was very small and looked like student digs with scuff marks on the walls, the paint was very worn on the doors. I couldn't wait to get out of there, it's certainly not a space you would want to spend any time in chilling out and resting after a busy day. The bed was comfortable enough but I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElleBee1234

Reviewed July 25, 2012

To be fair I'd probably give this one 3.5 stars but that's not an option. I stayed for one night as I was over in Perth for work. Paid about $120 for this hotel which was considerably cheaper than any other option in the CBD. Perth has got really expensive since my last visit!

Like most of the reviews have said, the rooms were clean, but dated. I went in expecting that and thinking I didn't really care if the furnishing were a bit dated, etc, but it really did drag the place down and made it feel dirtier than it was. The paint is peeling off the walls and they are covered in scuff marks, which gives it a bit of a dingy feel. I happened to be there on the coldest night of the year, and the grill on the heater was broken so although it worked, it was noisy and I didn't want to leave it on overnight for that reason. There were no spare blankets in the room so I ended up sleeping in my clothes. I could have asked for another blanket I'm sure but by the time I'd figured all that out I couldn't be bothered calling downstairs. The mattress was comfortable however and the sheets were really clean and looked quite new. The pillow on the other hand was lumpy, and there was no bedhead on the bed. The tap in the bathroom sink sprayed water in all different directions so it was hard to clean your teeth, and it made me think twice about whether to have a shower or not the next morning, especially because the shower door was stuck and I had to wrestle with it to open it. To my surprise however the shower worked fine.

The room was really quiet from the point of view of street noise, however the noise from the water running in an adjacent room was really loud to the point that it drowned out the tv and it made me feel guilty having a shower in the morning as I had to leave quite early and thought I was probably disturbing anyone sharing a wall with me.

In short, I wouldn't not stay here again, especially since the price was so much lower than anywhere else, but if you get a cheap deal in another hotel, I'd probably go with that option.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed in a few of the cheaper hotels in Perth - this is one of the better ones. Clean, good location and ok service. Very small room with dated decor - wouldn't want to be aiming to spend a lot of time in it - but for an overnight stay in Perth in an inner city location, was good. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Mooboo2
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were visiting Perth prior to another cruise and decided to use the Criterion again after our previous very satisfactory visit. We were not disappointed, location is first class, the price is right and the staff were extremely helpful, gave us the room we requested etc. OK, its an old building but what the heck,the rooms are clean and tidy and would go back yet again.
Noise; No, apart from an Asian altercation in the corridor the first night for a few minutes !
Breakfast at $13 is a snip, the buffet is adequate and once again good at the price. The lift has been totally renewed( a bit "Tardis" like compared to the building) and was fine. They gave us a discount coupon for the Japanese restaurant next door which was excellent;try it. We ate in the hotel one night and, like last time, the food was really good. Altogether a good visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank David-NZ
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here because it was cheap and near the airport. Decor needs a major update. Rooms look like they've been put together from a Vinnies store or left overs from my grandma's house.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Kathy R
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I booked this hotel last minute and chose it as it was one of the cheapest and was only for one night. I arrived at 2 am in the morning after travelling for almost a day. The staff on reception were friendly. The room was a double standard room and was clean and the bed was comfortable. The hotel is an old building and could do with some updating. There was a bottle of water in the fridge but the bottom of the bottle was dirty!! The hotel is in a great location in the city centre.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Caleypoopoo
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Criterion in Hay Street for one night when we were travelling on an early morning international flight. We stayed in Perth instead of a hotel near the airport as we thought that it would enable us to get a feel of the city.
The hotel is adequate and clean. the bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked. The hotel is central to the CBD of Perth and an easy walk brings you to all the shopping of Perth Central.
The restaurant attached to the Hotel served a very good meal on the night we stayed and the service was good although basic.
Staff at the Criterion were, we thought, artificially friendly, as if they were told to be happy and friendly with the clients. In saying this they did respond to any requests we made but were not welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple