“Like paying to be in prison!”

Britannia on William
Ranked #29 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Perth
“Like paying to be in prison!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

This place is not good at all. I imagine its kind of like what prison feels like. But prison is free and this place charge a fortune! Glad I only stayed 1 night.

Only plus side is that it's close to the city centre. 5 min walk to perth central train station. I didn't meet the crazy Chinese lady on the front desk I met a quite nice Australian man.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Kevin T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed here over the weekend and I have got little bites all over my skin. I dont know whether it is from the mattress, or the discusting carpeting that looks original. I have had to re-clean everything, including my backpack. Staff is not friendly. The room smelled like my grandmothers house (after she died in it) and when I walked across the floors I feard I might fall through. I am a well travelled backpacker and have stayed in many places, but this tops the list for worst hostel I have ever been to. I DO NOT RECOMEND STAYING THERE!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank yey11

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Not very clean and quite unfriendly staff. The room we were supposed to check into had yet to be cleaned and the beds still had previous guests sheets. They managed to find us another room but they all feel like prison cells without windows and dirty walls and roofs. Very difficult to get a good nights sleep aswell because of the sounds the building makes when people move around. (floors and doors squeeks loudly).
overall not a very good place but still a good location and one of the cheaper backpackers in Perth.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jesper A
Novara, Italy
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Most horrible experience I ever had in staying at a backpackers hotel still itching from the bed bugs! Everything was dirty ... Personal extremely rude and unhelpful ! Don't book with these slobs if you have a choice !

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Viola456
Griffith, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night before and two nights after a trip up the west coast. The first night everything went smoothly, room was clean and considering there are bars nearby very little noise. However when I checked in for two nights after my trip the problems began.

I was checked in by a guy who was clearly on his first solo duty as he asked me on 3 occasions if I was checking in. 1 of the 2 nights was prepaid in conjunction with the night I had stayed previously. I had given them the voucher on the first visit and was told I wouldnt need it back as I was now on record, however the guy at reception the second time wanted me to pay for a night that id already paid for and then requested the voucher that I dont have as they had kept it! To make things worse, on attempting to pay for the 1 remaining unpaid night, I wanted to use my debit card but was told that their card mininum is 100 dollars! That is a joke and I have never seen that rule in any other hostel in Australia in the last 11 months! As for the room, it was clean but the hallways were stinking of vomit the whole 2 days I was there. Very poor

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Oliver B
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Britannia would be an ok hostel if it was priced a little more fairly. We were paying around 28/29 dollars a night to stay there and it wasn't really worth it. I don't know if the Chinese woman is the owner or the manager but the way she acts is completely unprofessional. If she's the owner I wouldn't be surprised. The kitchen is covered with cockroaches and there aren't enough units for the amount of people that are there, even out of peak season when we stayed there. The bedding arrangements are disgusting, when you check out you just take your sheet and pillow case with you, so the actual cover is never washed, there was one that smelt of urine in our 8 bed dorm which we kept away from us, if an 8th person came they wouldn't have been happy. Aside from that I think asians are just used to being treated poorly, the asian woman seems to regard people as cattle on a conveyor belt bringing in money and since a third of the guests are asian they don't complain. Without naming names, if you take a 5 minute walk and ask around you will hear or see a better hostel that is cleaner and cheaper. There are 2 actually within 10 minutes. The only good thing about this place is the location, I think that's why people stay there and why it will always be busy, but it doesn't really deserve to succeed as a business anymore.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here only one night. The hostel was too big, so there were too much people. Almost all were from Asia. Our room was little, there was only bunk bed. Shower room was new, so it was clean. The kitchen was too little, so cooking was problem because there was so many people cooking at the same time. Location is good!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perth
Citylights Hotel
City Perth Backpackers Hostel
Ozi Inn Backpackers
Ozi Inn Backpackers
#32 of 49 in Perth

Been to Britannia on William? Share your experiences!