“AVOID AVOID AVOID”

Ranked #28 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“AVOID AVOID AVOID”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If the cockroaches and bed bugs don't drive you away, "Aunty Po" will. Bed bugs are rampant in this hostel and people have to constantly change rooms to facilitate their fumigation. Nests of cockroaches are found all around the kitchen sinks and crawl into the dining area. The Chinese woman who runs this place is INSANE,controlling and sly. She has taken on the role of a prison warden. You cannot bring ANYONE into this hostel after 8pm and on the day you check out they take i.d from you in order to use their facilities...even if you stayed there for 2 months: pathetic! If you want to feel like a child who is back in school being constantly watched, stay here. This hostel is mainly catered for Asians which account for 80% of the residents. So maybe they like this kind of place. But I wouldn't put a dog in here!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Smiley F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at Britannia for just under 3 weeks, the only thing that kept me there was a group of friends I made whilst there!! For the first 10 days I was moved to different rooms constantly due to a lack of organisation. The first BAD thing happened was when they moved me into a room that they knew was infested with BED BUGS, information that was not shared with me. I was in there for 2 nights and was covered in bites (35bites on my left foot alone). This meant that I had to clean all my stuff and be moved to another room. The next room I could stay in permanently for as long as I wanted to stay at the backpackers. Now I'm thinking things are getting better, not a bad room although there was no mossy net up at the window, my room mates were permanent and so hopefully no bed bugs would return, however after a few days I found that I had BED BUGS again, I was covered in bites, they are itchy and uncomfortable - it's not nice. Now both times I was given $6 so that I could wash and dry my clothes. I let that slide the first time but the second time I wanted more money, to wash and dry all my clothes is 2 loads and again in the dryer which costs $12, they were incredibly reluctant to give me any extra. Had they closed the infested room straight away, having known about it for over a week, then they would not have to pay for people to wash their clothes! They also put me into a 8bed dorm for one night while they sprayed our 3bed dorm, when it came to paying for my rooms the following week they refused to give me any kind of discount including the difference for one night in a bigger dorm.
Another thing that you should know is when you check out of a room the bedding you take down to be washed is 2 sheets and your pillow case, the blankets that are on the bed NEVER get taken down to be washed, this will not help with spreading the bed bugs, also I think my pillow was the only one to be thrown out because it had no protector on it and I stated I would not use it when I knew that bed bugs would be living in it and so I threw it in the bin!!
One good thing about this place is the court yard, you are aloud to bring your own drink and party out back with other Britannia guests, you can even have guests round as long as they leave before 8pm - no exceptions! However having said this the women who runs this place gets very annoyed about the drinking and the noise that comes with the partying, one Friday she came out at 8.30pm turning the music right down and telling us we have to be quiet, on a Friday night in a hostel???!!! No need to say that people were getting strikes against their names for having too much fun, including myself. The woman that runs this place and one of the other female workers do not approve of the drinking and partying of the backpackers in fact it seems that fun is not an option for them!
Privacy is also not much of an option here, one night while in my room with a guy, the guy on reception decided it would be funny having seen us go up together to come up and let him self in the room firstly to throw Vaseline at us which I can see to be funnyish but then began to film us on his mobile phone, this is not funny and totally unprofessional, he even told me he was going to put it on facebook - I'm glad to say he hasn't after seeing how upset I was getting. Unfortunately my stay did get worse, the 2 females working here had definitely taken a dislike to me and told me they would make sure i wouldn't be there much longer. On my what we now know to be my last night we had a big party at the hostel for 2 of the guests leaving dos'. This had been a great day and was looking to be an amazing night. Then the manger came and told me that she would not be extending my stay as I was no longer welcome, i shrugged this off and thought well at least I get to enjoy tonight and then I'm happy to leave. But she was watching me constantly and waiting for something. I went up to the guys room that I mentioned earlier and was given enough time for us both to strip and start having fun when the manger walks straight into the room, no warning of her entrance shouting that I have 15mins to pack my bags and leave the hostel. Within 1 minute she was back in the room with another member of staff. This guy had been drinking in the court yard with all of us and so was just as drunk as us! At this point obviously I'm really angry and naked with people in the room that should not be there and I certainly don't want there. So I started shouting, they screamed and hollered and then the guy started throwing things. He threw a fan at me and then picked up the closest backpack and threw that at me. (I now have a lovely big bump just above my eye and a bruise on my left arm and a swollen bruise on my right leg.) At this point the other guy from reception comes in and them 2 leave. He then leaves to give us a couple minutes to find our clothes and dress! In this time I phone the police to report assault and refuse to pack until they get there. When the police arrive the staff obviously deny all of this and as the manger is the only one sober the police decide we are just drunk backpackers causing trouble i am not believed and am fobbed off. I had already paid for the accommodation for the week, that's from this awful night and for the next 6 nights - $190, they only refunded me $120 saying that I had to be charged for this night (which I'm not worried about) but then I was charged an extra $40 on top just because they can, this does not make sense and they refuse to give it back and are unable to explain it to me!! Because they did not give me enough time to pack and all of my stuff was unpacked it meant that I left stuff there which I wasn't allowed to collect, fortunately my friends found everything they could and gave back to me, unfortunately my hair dryer is lost to the hostel and this cant be found!
I cant understand why people are able to treat other people like this or get away with being so unprofessional. A lot of the staff at this hostel should not be allowed to work at hostels, they don't understand the concept of hostels or backpackers themselves!
Aside from all of this the Britannia is just not a clean hostel, they have a luggage room that is infested with cockroaches, the fridge downstairs is also full of cockroaches. A lot of the rooms have bed bugs. The kitchen is very small for a hostel this size and the oven does not work and has not worked for over a year. The showers and toilets are clean however one of the toilets upstairs hardly ever works. When in the courtyard in the evening another thing to know is that the guests in the restaurant next door use the hostel toilets, so you are not allowed friends in after 8pm but complete strangers can be found walking around trying to find the toilets, so keep valuables locked away. The whole building needs a paint job at the very least and they need fans in the eating area because it is to hot in there, very uncomfortable to eat when you are sweating so much.
Bed Bugs, Dirty, Unprofessional, Violent, stay somewhere else for your own health and safety!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank gemmalor

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Brno
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I booked a single room for 3 nights for march 2012 through hostelworld.com.
I didnt have problems to find this hostel, checkin run apace, staff was friendly (at least in march 2012).
My room was big enough with comfortable bed and a window to the main street.
The ground was creaking by the door every time I was going out of my room. I found it rather funny than bothering.

Although it was possibly to buy wifi connection at reception I used the free wifi
provided by the Perth government.
Bathroom was clean. I liked the location of this hostel, its very close to many restaurants, pubs, discos.

Because my return flight to Singapore was going early I had to use perth
airport shuttle. The service was reliable for good price (and easy to book).

I can recommend Britannia and also the perth airport shuttle.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank rbbrno
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was an experience from hell! We only lasted 5 mins in this poor excuse for a hostel room. My mates & I pooled our $$ together to get a room at the novatel which ended up costing the same for us all to stay at that hostel ($100). The owner was cranky & rude and refused a refund even only after 5 mins. I would strongly recommend that you book somewhere else!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Nveronica27
Lyon, France
Reviewed December 29, 2012

!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T COME HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This hostel is terrible! There is a lot cockroaches, thr kitchen is very disgusting, THE BOSS, A LITTLE CHINESE WOMEN, HARAS YOU ALL THE TIME "ARE YOU STAY ING HERE?" TEN TIME IN A MORNING!!!! And you say "I've pay for stay here stop to harass me" she threaten you "I'M THE BOSS, YOU LEAVE NOW!!!" Seriously don't come here!

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Cyrl74
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I did not sleep at this hostel, but I came there to use their computers and the internet. When I was done using their computers, I went to pay for my usage of their computers. As I was paying, the owner got very rude because she thought I was taking too long to count my change to give to her, and I didn't even spend that long at all to give her my money. Then, not knowing that she was the owner, I told her that I will complain to her boss. Then she said something like "go ahead, complain to me. I am the boss!". She seems to think that because she owns the place, that she can treat customers like dirt. I will not come back. Not even to use the computers.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Matt363
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! this hostel is run by a little chinese woman and not only did she shout at me but her hostel is vile. we arrived about 11 oclock on saturay and couldnt check in till 12 so that was fine when we did go to our room it was very smelly and the bedding looked very unclean. we were to check out the next day at 10 oclock but unlike every other hostel in Australia we werent allowed to go upstairs and use the kitchen or showers. which she had not informed us at check in and we had bought a load of food for our lunch and dinner but had to put it in the bin. the worst part was i had put washing in at half 8 that morning but there had been no dryers come 10 oclock so i went upstairs after check out to use the dryer and the owner came storming after me demanding what room i was in! when i said i had checked out i was just putting my washing in the dryer she said i should have done it last night and told them i was doing a washing :S she questioned me where my baggage was and where my cousin, who i was travelling with, was. she told me not to go upstairs again. our flight was not till much later that day so we couldnt even shower or anything before our flight. Do not stay especially if you want to be treated like dirt by the owner!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends