“Good spot!”

Billabong Backpackers Resort
Ranked #18 of 57 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Helpful staff with a quirky humorous edge. Lots of people around. A fun social Backpackers place. The location is nice too, close to transport and some bars. Fairly clean too. Maybe wouldn't swim in the pool. But the hangout spot in the backyard and on the first floor is cool.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Booked to stay in the bong in November 2012 for 7 nights, 4 months down the line I was very sad to leave

The Bong isn't great, grungey rooms, some pretty unprofessional staff, sketchy kitchen where food is stolen but I wouldn't have changed it for the world. The atmosphere is second to none, met some amazing people and friends for life!

I think for all it's inadequacies, the bong is a pleasant, relaxed place to stay. You don't have to feel the need to act appropriately like you would at a hotel and everyone's in the same boat - looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful in a stupidly expensive city!

If I was ever to return to Perth I know my first port of call would be here.

Room Tip: It's a huge, very busy and vibrant hostel - just go and embrace the mayhem.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Whilst travelling I ended up staying/working in Perth for over 7 months, all of which I stayed at the Billabong. I came straight over from the UK and having never been in a hostel before I had no idea what to expect.

My first impressions weren't all that good, it wasn't as clean as I thought it would, the staff member who checked me in wasn't very friendly and overall I wasn't too impressed with it.

However, 7 months down the line I was gutted to leave. I made some of my best friends at the billabong, the staff became like family to me and I grew to calling it home!

Quite simply, if want big, clean rooms with no noise from drunken people outside- stay in a hotel. If you want to meet people and have fun- stay at the bong!

Yeah the staff aren't exactly professional, the kitchen and equipment is ancient and if you've got a poolside room you may be kept up by noise, but this is a hostel...what do you expect!

The pool is good, the kitchen has everything you need and the atmosphere is brilliant. Of course it can totally depend on what the guests are like at the time but the management did a good job of removing people who didn't contribute to a happy/friendly atmosphere!

Overall I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Rooms were very average for the price. I stayed in a four bed dorm. my roomies were great. Staff are rude, condescending and arrogant. I felt like I was staying at a kinder-garden.

Only one working power point in our room for four people and even that was unsafe. You have to carry all your kitchen needs with you, including plate, bowl, mug and cutlery. Food and beer consistently stolen from fridges and storage areas.

Privacy was also bad with cleaners coming into the room and bathroom unannounced. Being Australian and originally from Perth I was embarrassed for the peeps who came from other parts of the world to stay here.

My stay was for a few weeks as there no other options available over the Christmas NYE holiday period.

Apart from that guests were great had a good time with them. I hear that this place is to be knocked down for a new apartment complex, can't happen soon enough!

Room Tip: My advice would be to look elsewhere. If you do have to stay here, get a room that faces Beaufort St...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2013

booked this hostel last minute as our christmas plans fell through, 3 of us slept in a 4 bed with an ensuite, air con was ok but it was extremely hot over christmas! pillow were AWFUL!!! blankets were ok and bathroom was grand, but old but if u want shiny white tiles book a hotel!! tall lockers in rooms which u can padlock. the reception/dining room/kitchen were grand, u get your own plates etc which means everyone washes up after themselves!! we stay over christmas day so the place was very lively but didnt hear any noise from bedroom! your allowed your own beer/wine and the big dudes that work at reception keep an eye on everyone, the female receptionist seemed to drink at hostel every night after work though!! lol i think i paid $31 a night which was ok. getting round my fair share of hostels in australia and this place was ok. and also as per usual 1-2 plugs per room which is ridiculous, but ive yet to find a hostel that over indulges in power sockets lol

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2012

the rooms are not meant to have alcohol or food, thats a joke with a half eaten chicken and empty cans all around the room, the room next to mine someone put in a complaint about the room smelling like pot, they did nothing about it, prices didnt match there website, no glass around the pool except they dont impose that rule even when a bottle was broken near the pool, bathroom had broken tiles, and the room only had 2 power points with one being used for the aircon that was 4 people trying to share one plug, and lockers cant fit a pack in, the car park is very small and if your not a amazing driver it is hard to turn around, thou the free bus ride to cottosloe beach was ok, and they do have a tv in a common room and a "gym" but no community or activities. hyde park is a nice run and coles and macdonalds are near by.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Was due to stay in this hostel for 4 nights with my boyfriend in October. Arrived in Perth at 4 in the morning and got to the Hostel by 5. One of my main reasons for booking into this hostel was the fact that they had a 24hr reception And free bus from the airport. Firstly there was no answer when I tried to call to arrange a pick up from the airport which meant we had to get a taxi instead. Upon arriving at the hostel there was no one at reception except for a black cat that just stared at us, there were a few travellers eating breakfast but none offered us any help on where to find someone to check in with. Eventually a member of staff wandered out and helped us check in, he was useless and rude with no information on what to do about using the kitchen etc. we decided to book into a private room on the first night in order to get a good night sleep. The room was okay however it had a very dirty carpet and questionable bedding, the bathroom was clean enough. After a nights sleep in the hotel I woke up with bed bug bites all over my feet and arms, very disappointing considering the high price of the hostel!!!

We decided to check out early as we didn't feel comfortable at the hostel, this request was met by being ignored and silently lead to the luggage room where we collected our belongings, the attitude from the staff was incredibly rude. Very happy to be out of the hostel early!!!

Managed to find a budget hotel which was cheaper than the hostel and much nicer!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple