“bit like a kindergarden really”

Billabong Backpackers Resort
Ranked #14 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Rooms were very average for the price. I stayed in a four bed dorm. my roomies were great. Staff are rude, condescending and arrogant. I felt like I was staying at a kinder-garden.

Only one working power point in our room for four people and even that was unsafe. You have to carry all your kitchen needs with you, including plate, bowl, mug and cutlery. Food and beer consistently stolen from fridges and storage areas.

Privacy was also bad with cleaners coming into the room and bathroom unannounced. Being Australian and originally from Perth I was embarrassed for the peeps who came from other parts of the world to stay here.

My stay was for a few weeks as there no other options available over the Christmas NYE holiday period.

Apart from that guests were great had a good time with them. I hear that this place is to be knocked down for a new apartment complex, can't happen soon enough!

Room Tip: My advice would be to look elsewhere. If you do have to stay here, get a room that faces Beaufort St...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed January 2, 2013

booked this hostel last minute as our christmas plans fell through, 3 of us slept in a 4 bed with an ensuite, air con was ok but it was extremely hot over christmas! pillow were AWFUL!!! blankets were ok and bathroom was grand, but old but if u want shiny white tiles book a hotel!! tall lockers in rooms which u can padlock. the reception/dining room/kitchen were grand, u get your own plates etc which means everyone washes up after themselves!! we stay over christmas day so the place was very lively but didnt hear any noise from bedroom! your allowed your own beer/wine and the big dudes that work at reception keep an eye on everyone, the female receptionist seemed to drink at hostel every night after work though!! lol i think i paid $31 a night which was ok. getting round my fair share of hostels in australia and this place was ok. and also as per usual 1-2 plugs per room which is ridiculous, but ive yet to find a hostel that over indulges in power sockets lol

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2012

the rooms are not meant to have alcohol or food, thats a joke with a half eaten chicken and empty cans all around the room, the room next to mine someone put in a complaint about the room smelling like pot, they did nothing about it, prices didnt match there website, no glass around the pool except they dont impose that rule even when a bottle was broken near the pool, bathroom had broken tiles, and the room only had 2 power points with one being used for the aircon that was 4 people trying to share one plug, and lockers cant fit a pack in, the car park is very small and if your not a amazing driver it is hard to turn around, thou the free bus ride to cottosloe beach was ok, and they do have a tv in a common room and a "gym" but no community or activities. hyde park is a nice run and coles and macdonalds are near by.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Was due to stay in this hostel for 4 nights with my boyfriend in October. Arrived in Perth at 4 in the morning and got to the Hostel by 5. One of my main reasons for booking into this hostel was the fact that they had a 24hr reception And free bus from the airport. Firstly there was no answer when I tried to call to arrange a pick up from the airport which meant we had to get a taxi instead. Upon arriving at the hostel there was no one at reception except for a black cat that just stared at us, there were a few travellers eating breakfast but none offered us any help on where to find someone to check in with. Eventually a member of staff wandered out and helped us check in, he was useless and rude with no information on what to do about using the kitchen etc. we decided to book into a private room on the first night in order to get a good night sleep. The room was okay however it had a very dirty carpet and questionable bedding, the bathroom was clean enough. After a nights sleep in the hotel I woke up with bed bug bites all over my feet and arms, very disappointing considering the high price of the hostel!!!

We decided to check out early as we didn't feel comfortable at the hostel, this request was met by being ignored and silently lead to the luggage room where we collected our belongings, the attitude from the staff was incredibly rude. Very happy to be out of the hostel early!!!

Managed to find a budget hotel which was cheaper than the hostel and much nicer!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie B
Reviewed July 12, 2012

It's been a long time since I've stayed in a hostel so take my review with a grain of salt. I have however spent the last year plus traveling through Asia and arriving in Perth was a huge shock. I'm used to having an awesome private room, big bed, own bathroom etc for six to twelve dollars max. A dorm would never be more than five dollars.

Thirty dollars for a bunk room that feels much like a crappy college dorm. Rooms are cleaned every couple day which is ridiculous for the price you pay. Garbage is taken daily. They don't have wifi. I've never stayed anywhere that doesn't have wifi until Perth which is a bit odd to me.

There are plenty of areas to chill out which is nice, they have a pool that would be good for summer time. Kitchen is big and they provide cookware. Don't leave food in the fridge it will get nabbed and that includes beer.

Good location. About fifteen min walk to the city center and a five min walk to some bars, cafes and restaurants.

All in all it's not a bad place but outrageously priced for a dorm room. But that's all of Perth. It just makes no sense, there's nothing here. I've also talked to people and there are far worse places for around the same price.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Weeble W
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I spent three nights at the Billabong Resort. Not because I wanted, but because it was high season and it was the only place which had availability.
I didn't have very high expectations, but the price is definitely to high (AUD 33) for the poor standard this backpackers offers.
I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm. The room was dirty, especially the floor. The fitted carpet looked in my eyes really disgusting. The ensuite bathroom was also not very clean. While I was there the room never got cleaned.
Same situation in the kitchen. There was a big mess and it wasn't clean either.
The staff at the reception was avarage, they just did their job but nothing more. They very not very helpful in providing information about the city or activities.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Capunsli
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I was booked in at the billabong for 2 weeks but only stayed for 4 nights. I never expect to much from hostels, but for the price I paid I would of at least expected clean rooms! I think the biggest problem is they only employ travellers looking for no rent, so nobody is that bothered about anything!
I was in a 6 bed mixed dorm, people were smoking in the room and the shower floor was thick with hair and a build up of god knows what!
I would definitely suggest the yha hostel instead which is cleaner, more central and cheaper. A lot of people stay at the billabong for the pool but if you could see it, you wouldn't go in!
If you are a female on your own and have already booked this place be careful when walking home at night, walk the long way and do not cut through the park as it's full of homeless which for the most part are ok but some of the experiences I had heard about I would definitely walk around!! Also if your looking for a trouble free night out head to subiaco over north bridge!

Stayed: April 2012