“Poor Beds and Bathrooms” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Billabong Backpackers Resort

Billabong Backpackers Resort
Ranked #18 of 61 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Australia
“Poor Beds and Bathrooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

the rooms are not meant to have alcohol or food, thats a joke with a half eaten chicken and empty cans all around the room, the room next to mine someone put in a complaint about the room smelling like pot, they did nothing about it, prices didnt match there website, no glass around the pool except they dont impose that rule even when a bottle was broken near the pool, bathroom had broken tiles, and the room only had 2 power points with one being used for the aircon that was 4 people trying to share one plug, and lockers cant fit a pack in, the car park is very small and if your not a amazing driver it is hard to turn around, thou the free bus ride to cottosloe beach was ok, and they do have a tv in a common room and a "gym" but no community or activities. hyde park is a nice run and coles and macdonalds are near by.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Was due to stay in this hostel for 4 nights with my boyfriend in October. Arrived in Perth at 4 in the morning and got to the Hostel by 5. One of my main reasons for booking into this hostel was the fact that they had a 24hr reception And free bus from the airport. Firstly there was no answer when I tried to call to arrange a pick up from the airport which meant we had to get a taxi instead. Upon arriving at the hostel there was no one at reception except for a black cat that just stared at us, there were a few travellers eating breakfast but none offered us any help on where to find someone to check in with. Eventually a member of staff wandered out and helped us check in, he was useless and rude with no information on what to do about using the kitchen etc. we decided to book into a private room on the first night in order to get a good night sleep. The room was okay however it had a very dirty carpet and questionable bedding, the bathroom was clean enough. After a nights sleep in the hotel I woke up with bed bug bites all over my feet and arms, very disappointing considering the high price of the hostel!!!

We decided to check out early as we didn't feel comfortable at the hostel, this request was met by being ignored and silently lead to the luggage room where we collected our belongings, the attitude from the staff was incredibly rude. Very happy to be out of the hostel early!!!

Managed to find a budget hotel which was cheaper than the hostel and much nicer!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natalie B

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

It's been a long time since I've stayed in a hostel so take my review with a grain of salt. I have however spent the last year plus traveling through Asia and arriving in Perth was a huge shock. I'm used to having an awesome private room, big bed, own bathroom etc for six to twelve dollars max. A dorm would never be more than five dollars.

Thirty dollars for a bunk room that feels much like a crappy college dorm. Rooms are cleaned every couple day which is ridiculous for the price you pay. Garbage is taken daily. They don't have wifi. I've never stayed anywhere that doesn't have wifi until Perth which is a bit odd to me.

There are plenty of areas to chill out which is nice, they have a pool that would be good for summer time. Kitchen is big and they provide cookware. Don't leave food in the fridge it will get nabbed and that includes beer.

Good location. About fifteen min walk to the city center and a five min walk to some bars, cafes and restaurants.

All in all it's not a bad place but outrageously priced for a dorm room. But that's all of Perth. It just makes no sense, there's nothing here. I've also talked to people and there are far worse places for around the same price.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Weeble W
Basel, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

I spent three nights at the Billabong Resort. Not because I wanted, but because it was high season and it was the only place which had availability.
I didn't have very high expectations, but the price is definitely to high (AUD 33) for the poor standard this backpackers offers.
I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm. The room was dirty, especially the floor. The fitted carpet looked in my eyes really disgusting. The ensuite bathroom was also not very clean. While I was there the room never got cleaned.
Same situation in the kitchen. There was a big mess and it wasn't clean either.
The staff at the reception was avarage, they just did their job but nothing more. They very not very helpful in providing information about the city or activities.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Capunsli
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

I was booked in at the billabong for 2 weeks but only stayed for 4 nights. I never expect to much from hostels, but for the price I paid I would of at least expected clean rooms! I think the biggest problem is they only employ travellers looking for no rent, so nobody is that bothered about anything!
I was in a 6 bed mixed dorm, people were smoking in the room and the shower floor was thick with hair and a build up of god knows what!
I would definitely suggest the yha hostel instead which is cleaner, more central and cheaper. A lot of people stay at the billabong for the pool but if you could see it, you wouldn't go in!
If you are a female on your own and have already booked this place be careful when walking home at night, walk the long way and do not cut through the park as it's full of homeless which for the most part are ok but some of the experiences I had heard about I would definitely walk around!! Also if your looking for a trouble free night out head to subiaco over north bridge!

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Katie B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and i have spent 2 weeks at this hostel in a private room which is very comfortable good atmosphere its a like for me.troy

Stayed March 2012
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed for 2 weeks,way back in March '08 and I'm not sure how I lasted that long.
The staff are just a disgrace, they have a huge attitude problem, looking down their noses at the dirty backpackers (Yeah, you're so much better than us, we're travelling the world, you're working in a hostel, ever wonder where your life went wrong?), the most basic, simple request see's a look of disgust and disdain. I asked once if I could charge my phone behind reception; a very simple request I'm sure everyone would agree, as the other people in my room were charging their own phones and laptops in the room.
You would have thought by the look on the woman's face that I'd asked her if I could come into her house on Christmas day and take a dump on her kids.
She eventually agreed, but by God she was not happy about it.
They are also liars, there is no airport bus, I'm yet to hear any single person who stayed there say they were picked up by this bus, everyone who asks gets the same excuse about it being out of service or that they can't leave reception.
On one night I was sat outside quite late, just chilling with a beer, when a bunch of locals simply wandered in, took as much as they could carry from the fridge (beer and food) and walked back out. The door is never closed, and the guy supposedly "working" at night time was so stoned out of his head he wouldn't have noticed if his shoes were on fire, never mind anything else.
Luckily I never had anything in the fridge, as I'd already been told by others that nothing is safe in there and always goes missing, but certainly wasn't about to apprehend 4 drunk guys on my own either!
Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere, there are much, MUCH better places than this to stay at, places secure, with friendly staff, and clean beds and bathrooms.
I must go have a shower now, writing this has reminded me of those 2 weeks and I feel dirty again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo