“familiär, very friendly Staff (Herman)”

Ozi Inn Backpackers
Ranked #34 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We spend 10 days in this hostel. We really enjoyed the stay!
Just the matress is too soft, thin.
Herman is great! Perfect service!
The hostel is in a very gold location. Near the City and near many Clubs.

Thanks for the time!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2014

It was afternoon when I checked in at Ozi Inn Backpackers. My boyfriend was supposed to get accommodation at his new job but it turned out that he got scammed and so he needed a bed to stay as well. When he wanted to check in at Ozi Inn Backpackers in the evening, the receptionist told him that there were no beds left. When I asked the receptionist about the two free beds in my room he became strange.
Eventually he told us that he doesn't want my boyfriend to stay for only one night because he's sick of washing sheets of people who only stay for one night!
My boyfriend and me were very upset. I never had something like this before that people don't let you stay at their hostel when you only want to book one night. At least I got my money back. I didn't want to stay at this place on my own. The receptionist allowed me to stay a night but he didn't allow my boyfriend to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maja S
Reviewed May 11, 2014

If you're here for just one night this is a good cheap hostel near party northbridge. The receptionist is super chatty and the communal areas are socialable. HOWEVER, the bathroom (2 toilets for everyone I think?) are disgusting, people staying there long term obviously have no respect. I decided not to get a shower because they were that filthy! Also, I can't 100% confirm this, but bed bug bites did appear on my lower legs about 9 days after staying here. Very luckily (and here's some good advice!) I was wearing shorts so apparently they are less likely to transfer on to clothes.

Room Tip: Wear shorts (or nothing!) to bed
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The great thing about this hostel is that they provide free pick ups from the airport. We were greeted by Herman who was very friendly and chatty. It all started so well!

I was disappointed when arriving at the hostel as the exterior is very run down, this continued inside and it appears very grubby. We had to give a $20 deposit which I did not understand as there was no key for the rooms, just locks with a passcode.

The bedroom is incredibly basic. I stayed in a 6 bedroom share room. The room is spacious enough, however dirty and very run down. The floor was covered in dirt, dust and bits. I also noticed that one of the guys who was sleeping did not even have a pillow case, he just had another sheet to wrap around his sheet. The other guy in the room also did not have a sheet on his bed which I found quite gross.

The beds are the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. The mattresses are so thin and you can feel every single slat beneath you digging into your back.

I was thankful when I saw that the rooms had lockers, but then realised that you have to pay $1 each time you use them (ie every time you unlock them and want to lock them again you have to pay $1)

The indoor shower is very dirty and does not look like it has been cleaned in a long time. The showers downstairs are a lot cleaner and nicer, so if you stay here, I recommend that you use them!

The free pancakes in the morning are great, just make sure you use one of the better pans and not one that burns everything! Herman is a nice guy, however I think he is not that interested in providing a nice clean budget place to stay, he is more interested in hanging out with all the backpackers smoking. This is nice that he is sociable, however, I think there needs to be more of a balance.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 13, 2014

In all honesty this hostel is a bit grubby and could definitely do with a bit of refurb and lick of paint. There are numerous accounts of bed bugs of which I got a few, but thankfully washed everything so I didn't travel with them.
In spite of all this I walked away feeling good about this backpackers, and it solely comes down the the manager Herman. He really makes you feel part of the place when you arrive and is always smiling and having fun. I really hope the owner knows the value of this man and pays him more money, because without him it will be a bit of a dive with only negative reviews.
If you don't believe me then go and stay yourself and you'll see what I mean.
Bless you Herman!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2014

After hostel shopping I chose OZI Inn because of the hospitality and friendly spirit I felt from Herman the manager/ leader! Always encouraging to join the activities around the Ozi space IE: cooking, group discussions, movie night etc. As a yoga teacher I asked Herman if I could conduct a daily yoga class in the backyard. He was very open to have the yoga classes as many people attended, even Herman ;) . I found the travellers from diverse cultures mostly under the age of 25 .Free breakfast: make your own pancakes, coffee, tea. all kitchen utensils provided, big refrigerator storage ...CCTV needs repair and rooms cleaner. Overall a friendly hostel I'd return and recommend it to global travellers.

Room Tip: Friendly hostel in a great location a 10min walk to pub action, Western Australia Library, Museum, a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This is a friendly hostel in a great location. It's a 10min walk to the city centre or, if you're feeling lazy, walk for 5mins and catch the free bus. In the immediate area there's plenty of restaurants, bars and shops/supermarket. The hostel is basic but it has what you need, including a tv room and a pretty spacious kitchen with a lot of fridge room. If you can pay weekly it's a bargain.
The atmosphere is really laid back and friendly. And the guy who runs it is one of the most helpful people I've came across in a hostel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo