“Easily one the worst hostels we stayed in on our 6 month travels” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beatty Lodge

Beatty Lodge
Ranked #15 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Easily one the worst hostels we stayed in on our 6 month travels”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

This was the first hostel we booked into for our 3 month stay touring Australia, and we couldn't have picked a worse place to start our Oz experience (only chose this because of a lack of availability elsewhere and was cheap for a twin room after arriving from a long flight). As soon as we pulled up outside, we noticed it was a very large hostel, and a group of drunks hanging around the entrance and in reception, some no doubt on something!! The reception were very casual, like it was always like this, checking us in hassle-free. We booked a twin room, which was comfortable enough, decent size, with a single bed each, TV and table. The kitchen was pretty foul, guests failed to wash up their dirty cooking utensils every night, leaving the sinks full of used equipment. Noticed ants crawling around the kitchen surfaces!! Location was very remote, not very close to shops, and definitely nowhere near the town centre. Bus stops were pretty close though which was handy. Now don't get me wrong, we enjoy a night out and a few drinks as much as the next, but this place was BAD!! In the evenings, the hostel was very noisy (despite notices around the hostel informing everyone of quiet time after 11pm) ...the bedroom walls were very thin, could hear people walking along and even just sitting around drinking in the corridor...even got woken up in the early hours by 4 guys playing their TV at high volume next door!! Would have contacted reception, but turns out they close at 11pm and no-one around to contact in the middle of night to deal with these situations...so just took it upon ourselves to knock on next door and give them a firm, grumpy talking to at "3am" (lucky me and my brother are both 6ft3 so can look pretty intimidating if we need to!). Overall, nothing positive to say about this place, lucky was only there 3 nights.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hubbardy

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

Not a bad location a short bus ride from the city, Leederville has some good shops, cafes and bars.
The hostel was one of the cleanest I have come across while travelling. Rooms were a little hot, they did have fans though. I think some of the dorms had air con, but these were all full.
The staff were great, very friendly and couldn't do enough. They were able to book me on some of the tours I wanted to do.
All in all the hostel was value money and clean.
My only real complaint was that the kitchen was a bit under equipped for the amount of people staying there, could do with a few more cookers and fridges.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Robiero
Beatty_Lodge, General Manager at Beatty Lodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Hi Roberio,

Thanks for the awesome feedback!!

The kitchen is definitely an area we are looking to improve. The space is great as it use to a commercial kitchen. It just needs a bit of an update, which we are already working on. We've just had the old walk in fridge fixed up and re-commissioned so there's heaps of space for food now. All we need now is a few more gas burners and ovens and it will really be the "best in west"

Once again, thanks for the feedback Roberio. I hope to welcome you back one day so you can see all the improvements we are making. Please contact me via reply to this message should wish to discuss anything further.

Haarlem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed in a single room for 1 week, I had to change rooms twice. But it was painless.
The rooms are ok but without any decoration and each room only has 1 plug outlet. The rooms have no airco but just a fan which takes up the one plug outlet.

It's clean and there are enough toilets and showers and a large kitchen.

The location is not convenient. It's about 10 min walk to the bus stop. But the bus doesn't go very often. Sometimes it's faster to just keep walking into town (about 30 min).

5 minutes walk from the hostel is a street with some restaurants, a supermarket, post office etc.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AnnaNLCH
Hi Anna,

Thank you for the feedback. The only we can improve is going off feedback like your's and we appreciate it very much.

Yes, our location is not is considered central but we often find that the majority of our guests really appreciate that. Our location tends to keep the real "party animals" away and we don't face the same kind of drunken behaviour/security issues as properties in Northbridge or the City.

Bus number 15 runs in to the city every 15 minutes from Newcastle Street and is free. The walk is approximately 600 meters but perhaps you weren't aware of this. I'll speak to my staff and make sure these basic things are being relayed to all guests on arrival.

The decor is getting a little old. We certainly do not disagree with that statement. The exciting thing about that is the owners are re-investing back in to the property and I am currently working on many facility improvement programs, such as;

Room Updates (inc new beds, new TV's, carpet, paint, soft furnishings)
Bathroom Update (new toilets, vanities, tiles, paint, light fittings)
Gym Update (already laid new carpet, paint and new equipment)
Kitchen Update (more burners, ovens and prep area's)
Alfresco extension
New Property Management system
And the list goes on and on..............

My first concept room should be completed by 14/03/11. I have already installed new AC units in the 6 bed dorms/lobby and dining room. Our new lobby is now finished and is a nice place to hang out with wifi, AC and cool tunes from the ipod.

Once again, thanks for the feedback Anna. I hope to welcome you back one day so you can see all the improvements we are making. Please contact me via reply to this message should wish to discuss anything further.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

This hostel is clean an big rooms but the staff are rude and power hungry that they made are stay a nightmare . We planned to stay for 3 months but after 2 weeks we couldn't deal with the staff looking down there noses at us and talking to us like something they found on the bottom
of their shoe. My boyfriend started work a week before me so during that week I was at the hostel alone. Because of this the cleaner assumed I was a prostitute and thort everyone should no my apparent dirty behaver! I have never been so insulted ! I wouldn't stay here ever again I'd rather sleep in my boyfriend ute ! I hate it there and enyone in there right mind would stay well clear.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Stephbobanddang

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Victoria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

I was expecting Beatty Lodge of offer a slightly better than hostel accommodation - boy was I wrong! The place was filthy - especially the bathrooms, which were not cleaned for the duration of my stay. The carpets were filthy in the hallways and bedrooms, there was no air conditioning, I was kept awake by drunken louts, food that I had in the communal fridge was stolen on more that one occassion, and I was followed into the female toilets by a drunken male late one night. My bedroom was riddled with bed bugs and there were people smoking ice outiside the comon area. All in all, the entire stay at Beatty Lodge was a nightmare. NEVER AGAIN! There is much better accommodation for a cheaper or comparable price in Perth.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank migsy13
Hi Migsy13

My name is Brendon and I am the new manager of Beatty Lodge.

It is certainly distressing to read your comments about your experience with us here. I just wanted to touch on few things that have changed here at Beatty Lodge since your stay in 2010.

I have personally reviewed all processes in all departments and have made many changes. We now have a Managers Checklist that includes all public areas. This checklist is completed twice daily. We are now constantly auditing these areas to ensure they measure to our new brand standard. We also have a PM public areas cleaner so everything is being checked at least 3 times a day.

In terms of food stealing and unsavoury guests, we now have a zero tolerance policy for this kind of behaviour and have several long-term guests that report back to us about issues that arise Management are off site. We also have food lockers now so guests have the ability to keep their food under lock and key.

Room Updates (inc new beds, new TV's, carpet, paint, soft furnishings)
Bathroom Update (new toilets, vanities, tiles, paint, light fittings)
Gym Update (already laid new carpet, paint and new equipment)
Kitchen Update (more burners, ovens and prep area's)
Alfresco extension
New Property Management system
And the list goes on and on..............

Once again, thanks for the feedback Migsy13. I understand that your first experience was a disaster but I still hope to personally welcome you back one day so you can see all the improvements we are making. Please contact me via reply to this message should wish to discuss anything further.

middlesex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

Clean, organised, helpful staff, good parking round the back and great location. The cooking part of the kitchen area is a bit small but other than that it is probably the best budget accomodation in Perth for a long term stay. It cost me and a friend $140 each to share a twin room with a TV wardrobe desk and big chest of drawers it was excellent and very very clean.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

Whilst the facilities were clean and adequate for the budget traveller, the 11 nights of being bitten, sometimes badly, made my stay in Perth miserable and stressful. The mattress was rife with bedbugs, as well as the bedding and carpet. Although the mattress and bedding was replaced, fumigation was necessary and for some unknown reason was not taken out. The hostel is very large and I can imagine the infestation if not already, will spread quickly to the many other rooms. Without fumigation there will be many more unhappy souls there.

• Liked — clean apart from bedbugs
  • Disliked — bedbugs
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Kathryn_8