“You're on your own here”

Riverview on Mount Street
Ranked #10 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Canberra, Australia
“You're on your own here”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have booked in from4 nights at river view on mount street perth

At 10pm tonight I had just gone to bed when I heard the apartment door opening

there was a man (I am a 64 year old woman) whose key had opened my door. he was as shocked as I was. This hotel closes the front desk at 7pm and a process of collecting keys from a safe has to be undertaken after that.

The man's key number was the same as my room number ( although his letter showed a different room number)

No information in the room, or that I had from the hotel gave an after hours number

this was really scary. I am here on business and have to be at a meeting early in the morning - but I can't sleep now-

The room cost about $200 a night- this makes WA look very frontier like

I have pushed the table against the door and hope I might get some sleep at some time

I am planning to go somewhere else fornthe next two nights of my stay in Perth

It seems terribly basic to ensure that only one person has the key to each room !

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank joanbsails

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed in a studio with kitchen & found it to be clean, comfortable & well equipped. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpfull. Contrary to some reviews, I found the location excellent being positioned between the CBD & Kings Park with only a 5 to 10 min walk to either, but being in a quiet neighbourhood, also very quiet. Reasobale views from the balcony also.

Room Tip: Be sure you put number 42 in your GPS and dont just enter Mount st as part of Mount st is on the oth...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Its apartment not hotel. No service after 12!!! Far way from city and near Kings park. Must have car if book this hotel. Hotel have good price, room is okay, bathroom have window which you cant cover, Queen bed is quite small for two adult and TV is small as well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I spend half my life in hotels, all over the world and I am a regular vistor to Perth. I'm used to the over-expensive under-delivering accommodation that Perth is famous for. This is the first time I've felt I must post a review so that you can think twice before booking.

Its very basic, I'd rate it as a 2 star motel. It reminded me very much of a cheap roadside motel - noisy, uncared for and unclean. Don't be fooled by the photos, the orange chenille bedspread might have gone but its the same saggy, uncomfortable bed you remember from family road trips last century. Its definitely not the 4 star hotel it advertises itself as. Don't get your hopes up from the foyer which is nicely presented. Its a cheaply renovated motel, with no reception after 7pm and the restaurant is not open for dinner.

Did I mention its noisy and its right next to a freeway junction? To be fair, I didn't look it up on the map, so that was my oversight.

Its definitely dirty as other reviewers have commented on. I was going to make a cup of tea but the kettle didn't work. I could have used the stove as another reviewer did. The Arcoroc mugs were so dirty it put me off the whole idea. I decided to watch tv in bed instead.

Its the smallest TV I have ever seen, perhaps 17 inch - like a small PC monitor....and its a long way from the bed (on the plus side it is a large room). I ended up watch iview on my laptop, which I suppose is okay if you've got fast enough internet. I used my own internet so can't confirm other reports of slow connections.

I can confirm that the air conditioning wasn't working for me either. It was a cold night and I ended up sleeping in all my clothes to stay warm. There was one dusty blanket. So you might want to bring your sleeping bag if you do decide to stay (or your fan if its the height of summer).

The moral to this story is to book early for your trip to Perth, there are plenty of places better than this to stay. There are plenty of 2 and 3 star places that are at least clean, have full size tvs and dvd players, and have airconditioners that work. If you book early enough, you can stay at a 4 and 5 star hotel for the same cost.

I'm trying not to reflect that by the end of this week I'll have stayed in some best 5 star hotels in Brisbane, Melbourne and Beijing, all of which were much cheaper than this dive.

Room Tip: I stayed on level 3
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ffnumber

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Toodyay
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Very basic. Had trouble with the air conditioning. Was really cold for most of the time I was there. Showed a restaurant, but there was nothing there. Had to order in very expensive take-away. Don't think I will be back. Had to stay in the city for a course. Didn't really meet my expectation for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MsToodyay
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have stayed at the Riverview twice. The first stay was pleasant enough with an attractive and comfortable room. It seems that hard economic times have hit however, and during my most recent stay I had to empty my own bin, make my own bed and buy my own milk. It appears if you stay longer than one day, you don't get a housekeeping service. The internet connection, which costs $15.00 per day, was consistently poor. Add to that the lack of staff on the premises overnight to break up the domestic violence on the floor above... Hotels should provide more information on booking about what they will and won't provide.Overall I would say this hotel is overpriced and trading solely on its location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank megwolff
Melbourne
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed here quite a bit at different times. first time with sensational bed! balcony, kitchen nice bathroom. Every stay was fantastic as it was quiet inside the room, even got upgraded on one occasion. i did spend ALOT of money there. The rooms are brand spanking new but for what they advertise the cheap rates for I'd rather go 4.5 or 5 star elsewhere. I got some great deals then i also paid ridiculous amount for the same room elsewhere in the complex. car parking is free and laundry available. Tv is small and room can seem dark with the lighting at might.

My only dislike was without a car there was no where to walk to eat. Restaurant downstairs.. sorry i didnt venture to expensive french. A cafe wouldve been my thing - lucky for the kitchen.

the staff are great. but the more i stayed there the more i felt i was taking room they couldve sold to someone who wouldve paid more... maybe im paranoid. One morning i rang reception to ask if i could extend my stay willing to pay more for each night... I was told no rooms available.. stupid me shouldve checked on line first... Yes they were advertising rooms.. hence my paranoia. My last stay of 6 consecutive days... i got no room clean, sheets changed, bath supplies or bin changed.

I dont understand the 'really' expensive rooms advertised, rooms are pretty much the same... unless you get the dingey one in the corner or the car park.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends