“Old is the new New”

Ranked #60 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Alice Springs, Australia
“Old is the new New”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The "New" Esplanade Hotel is in desperate need of a refurbishment to warrant the "New". Having stayed in hotels and hostels of all star ratings and qualities across Australia, I can honestly say that I have never been quite so surprised at the gap between the official star rating and the quality of the hotel. Perth is notorious for being overpriced, but this place is going too far.

Positives:
- room size: very large, standard double can easily fit 3 adults, and could (if they allow) fit another 2 trundles in
- location: away from the hustle and bustle but only a quick stroll to the 'mall' area. Plenty of good places to eat nearby. (note - the view will be excellent once the redevelopment of the riverside is complete)
- parking: free street parking right outside the hotel from 6pm - 8am, and plenty of places nearby - tip 'book a bay' with Wilson Parking 2 blocks away is a fraction of the cost of the hotel
- air con: nice and chilly with good in room controls
- linen: crisp and clean
- lobby: plenty of 'to do' brochures, seating area with good view to outside to see taxi etc
- key card access: worked PERFECTLY every time (never had to go to reception)

Negatives:
- general decor & furniture: in desperate need of replacing. The hall on my floor had the distinctive smell of mold
- beds: again old and in need of replacing as they were either too 'soft' (worn out) or too hard (cheap)
- bathroom: in need of complete refurb. Marks on walls where mold had been scrubbed away, taps troublesome to turn 'off' properly (lots of dripping), toilet from the late 80s (we had the same one in the house I grew up in)
- TV reception: constantly dropping out
- bathroom towels/ toiletries: cheap and poor quality (no face washers or hand towels either)
- electricity sockets: the few in the room are in exceptionally awkward places

Overall, if you only care about location and keeping cool, this is an OK place. However, given the price, you'd be better off getting a room elsewhere or better still, booking a private ensuite room at one of the better backpackers in the city.

This hotel COULD be amazing, but needs a lot of work to warrant its name.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river - nice light for sunset
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank jossmcboss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Total dis-interest by staff, a weird guy in a car park staring at us and smoking the entire time! The last day I just wanted to taste their breakfast. Scrambled eggs made with nothing more than tough eggs! No milk... nothing!! Lift was so rickety we thought it would collapse! !!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank erin400

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Albany, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Our family stayed in this hotel on 26th for the skyworks, due to my budget I chose Esplanade because of the location and reasonable price. I've had done my research for the hotel on Australia day and the prices anywhere near are MAD!!! We stayed in the family room for 4 of us and we went out for the skyworks at night. That was an amazing night for all of us and we had a conversation with the reception staff, the guy gave us heaps of tips about the city area since we are from the country. Not to mention earlier the girl was really great helping us check in at noon. Helpful staff, great location and reasonable price. yes the room needs some TLC but hey, you cant expect a six star with what you paid, am i right?

Room Tip: Family room for 4
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment. Blood on the walls of the lift. Room not cleaned properly. Very poor maintenance. In serious need of a revamp. Great location, pity about the condition of the hotel. Parking is available.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Anna S
Port Kennedy WA
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My partner booked this place to view the Skyworks , he booked a delux room on the 8th floor. Arrival at reception was one staff checking in 5 people approx 1.30 pm. When she got to us we were asked to wait as "there were people in front of us and check in is not till 2 pm" a bit confusing since she had just booked in 5 and now the 2 people who had been waiting. After checking in the last two she proceeded to flip about sorting paperwork, mean while 2 more lots of people came in wanting to check in, they were told to wait....of all the hotels I have never had such poor service. We eventually got our turn to book in then asked which room, we were told 7 something meaning we had been placed on the 7th not 8th floor....... when we told her we booked the 8th floor she mumbled something about allocating the rooms out the night before, it was difficult to understand her broken English.......We got a room on the 8th floor the room was ok, a lick of paint would hide the dust on the walls, the bed linen clean but the pillows cheap and nasty. We had one double and one single....bathroom clean no hair from previous guests...As a WA local resident who has travelled extensively it is frustrating to be charged these high prices , dont get me wrong I am no stinge , I just expect a professional service to match the price!
Would I stay again? Only if I could not get a booking at another hotel that offered me the view this one did of Perth Skywors for those of you who dont know the Skyworks happens on Australia day January 26th. Perth prides itself on being the best.

Room Tip: The higher up for a better view, there is a 9th floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linsim
WORCS
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We booked an upgraded room with wonderful Swan river views by phone after having to vacate immediately from previous accomodation due to disastrous plumbing problems. Had we read previous reviews would not have even considered this hotel but were pleasantly suprised. We were able to check in at noon, just 2 hours after phone reservation, The staff were very helpful and friendly and the room on the 7th floor was o.k. with wonderful views. We stayed for 5 nights, the location excellent for sightseeing Perths many attractions.

Room Tip: Upgraded rooms have better views of Swan river.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WORCSCOUPLE
Broome, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am kicking myself for not reading the reviews before I booked. There is no way I will sleep tonight. The smell is so disgusting....stale tobacco, dust, mould...seriously fowl. The valet parking....there isn't any ...just a scary car park at the back. Public hair on the old bath. Paint peeling off the walls. I am here for 3 nights but will count my losses as I can't do this another night. No refund...I booked thru wotif. I didn't notice that it was 2 star when I booked. I hate sitting in hotel rooms writing reviews. I flew down from Broome this afternoon and I thought I would be sitting in airconditioned luxury ordering room service. So so so disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo