The "New" Esplanade Hotel is in desperate need of a refurbishment to warrant the "New". Having stayed in hotels and hostels of all star ratings and qualities across Australia, I can honestly say that I have never been quite so surprised at the gap between the official star rating and the quality of the hotel. Perth is notorious for being overpriced, but this place is going too far.
- room size: very large, standard double can easily fit 3 adults, and could (if they allow) fit another 2 trundles in
- location: away from the hustle and bustle but only a quick stroll to the 'mall' area. Plenty of good places to eat nearby. (note - the view will be excellent once the redevelopment of the riverside is complete)
- parking: free street parking right outside the hotel from 6pm - 8am, and plenty of places nearby - tip 'book a bay' with Wilson Parking 2 blocks away is a fraction of the cost of the hotel
- air con: nice and chilly with good in room controls
- linen: crisp and clean
- lobby: plenty of 'to do' brochures, seating area with good view to outside to see taxi etc
- key card access: worked PERFECTLY every time (never had to go to reception)
- general decor & furniture: in desperate need of replacing. The hall on my floor had the distinctive smell of mold
- beds: again old and in need of replacing as they were either too 'soft' (worn out) or too hard (cheap)
- bathroom: in need of complete refurb. Marks on walls where mold had been scrubbed away, taps troublesome to turn 'off' properly (lots of dripping), toilet from the late 80s (we had the same one in the house I grew up in)
- TV reception: constantly dropping out
- bathroom towels/ toiletries: cheap and poor quality (no face washers or hand towels either)
- electricity sockets: the few in the room are in exceptionally awkward places
Overall, if you only care about location and keeping cool, this is an OK place. However, given the price, you'd be better off getting a room elsewhere or better still, booking a private ensuite room at one of the better backpackers in the city.
This hotel COULD be amazing, but needs a lot of work to warrant its name.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your The New Esplanade Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Esplanade Hotel
- New Esplanade Perth