“Really enjoyed my stay.”

Miss Maud Swedish Hotel
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“Really enjoyed my stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Prior to my recent stay, I have only visited Miss Maud once before. I had breakfast there while I was in Perth last year. After I found out that breakfast was included in the room rate, I really wanted to stay there next time I was in the city.

The hotel had a 24-hour reception which was great since I ended up arriving in Perth close to 2am on a Saturday morning. The gentleman who checked me in was very cheery and helpful. Checking in went smoothly.

The hotel building itself is of the "old style". Even the room keys were still actual keys and the doors had doorknobs. The lone elevator was the old fashioned one too with the stairs going around it. While I was there, few people actually used it so the waiting time was very short. I usually used the stairs going downstairs and the elevator when going upstairs since I had my bags with me the first night and some shopping for the rest of my stay. Note that since the elevator was of the older style, it has two doors which had to be slid open. It's spring-loaded so it closes automatically. Mind your fingers.

I was lucky to get a room with french doors and a little balcony. The Murray Street side of the hotel face some shops and a multi-storey car park so it was great that the glass windows and doors were double-glazed. People also tend to hand around the area, chatting. Apart from a couple of extremely loud vehicle noises, I had peace and quiet during my entire stay. The double-glazing also helped retain the cool air inside the room since Perth was experiencing 30+ Celsius temps when I was there.

The room and the bathroom were extremely clean. There was a split air AC which was great. The usual room amenities like bar fridge, desk, TV were also there. The bathroom had a bath with the shower at one end. The shower's water pressure was wonderful. I mentioned this only because I have stayed in numerous hotels before where I had to virtually hug the wall because the water pressure was poor. The bed was also very comfortable. Since it's an old building the walls (in my room at least) were solid. The only thin wall I found was separating my room and the bathroom.

Possibly the only gripe I had was that the programming of the TV was off. Many of the channels I was supposed to have were not available and some appeared more than once. It's not a deal-breaker for me though. I also noticed the upholstery on the armchair was starting to fray but that for me was minor considering how satisfied I was with the rest of my room.

Breakfast came with the room and it was excellent. Next time I am in Perth, I will try the lunch and dinner.

The reception staff were helpful and very approachable. They happily answered all my questions. It was also really nice the housekeeping staff respected the 'Do Not Disturb' sign I put up one afternoon. A note was left under my door stating they did not disturb me as requested but if I needed any supplies re-stocked, to just make a request.

I also read on their hospital guide that if for some reason, my flight is early and I would miss breakfast, I can speak with someone at the hotel and they can arrange something for me before I leave. That's something I have never encountered at other hotels before.

The hotel is located a few minutes walk to the Perth Underground station, Murray Street and Hay Street Malls. A Yellow CAT bus stop is located on Murray Street at the opposite side of Pier Street. Blue and Red CAT bus stops are located minutes away at Barrack Street. The location is really convenient.

I would happily stay here again next time I am in Perth. Don't forget the Miss Maud bakery is next door.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

For a weekend in summery Perth my partner and I needed accommodation in the CBD. We chose Miss Maud as it was #2 on Tripadvisor and was a little "different" (it was attached to a bakery). The rates we paid was standard price for CBD location hotel (as Melbourne) and included a good breakfast with hearty Swedish bread (the black rye bread is very good, I bought 2 loaves to bring home to Melbourne)

Good: The breakfast, location. The rooms were comfortable and clean, the decor is kitsch and homey but not in a dirty second-hand kind of way. There were lovely little prints / paintings of "all things Swedish" which is novelty in Perth, Australia!

Not so great: We arrived after midnight to check in and had a panic attack thinking that the reception was closed for check in (it wasn't). We had to alert the security guard and press the door bell about 20 times, maybe better signage? Also, they don't have free parking for guests which added about $60 on to our two night stay (parking in Perth CBD is as expensive as Wilson's private parking anywhere, by the hour) which isn't great because it's impossible to get around Perth coming from the airport without a car.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancashire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel is charging five star hotel rates and at the end of the day is an old house, with creaking floorboards and in a run down area. It reminded me of the bed and breakfast hotels in Blackpool which charge £30 a night not £180.

This overpriced hotel is in a central location but sadly that brings its own problems. There were drunks, beggars and young teenagers in close proximity night after night and this reflects on the fact that the front door is locked at 7pm.

The hotel is in dire need of updating. We stayed 6 nights on a first floor room with a concrete wall for a view. This room was acceptable as it was spacious however when we returned for a second stay of one night (we had prebooked otherwise we wouldn't have returned) we had a second floor matchbox for a room whereby we could hear all our neighbours on all sides - one of which was the laundry room which disturbed us too).

The air conditioning units (in both rooms) only affect the area directly below them so the rest of the room is either too hot or too cold. You get one bath towel per person but only one hand towel for both of us. The plumbing is in poor condition as the shower (again in both rooms) suddenly goes very hot or very cold if water is turned on/off elsewhere in the hotel.

The wi-fi was fine on the first floor but on the second floor despite us changing networks on several occasions we had problems connecting.

The remote control on the television had to be changed six times to find one that worked.
The breakfast was nothing to right home about, it was a buffet. End of. Nothing glorious and the hot foot wasn't hot.

The only good thing about this hotel were the staff who were very helpful.

Overall, it is one step up from the backpackers accommodation and if you are spending over $200 a night, walk away, like one gentleman and his wife did who had come in off the street for a quote.

Room Tip: Don't book it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lttle_Gem
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the MS. Maud hotel from Mar 5-10 and were very satisified. The room was immaculate, the desk staff was pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast buffet was great. I suspect that many US tourists are finding restaurant prices very expensive down under and this is a plus. Free wifi also helps. The location is convenient with just a short walk to the wharf area or on and off bus. The only complaints were minor. I would have liked some local restaurant menus at the front desk and the elevator was a bit quirky but it appears to be a good value.
Dave from Sacramento

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We dined in the restaurant on a Sunday night, the carpeted floor was filthy, to the extend it was like stepping in doggy do, chocolate cake mashed into the carpet under the table. The waiting staff very unfriendly and looked bored, we had to summoned them over to us when we wanted more drinks, We ordered from the a la carte menu, and waited over an hour for our meals, thankfully they were worth waiting for!

• Stayed March 2013
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Room was very clean. Close to all amenities and shopping malls. Casino is only a short taxi ride away. If going to the airport take the airport shuttle and it will only cost you $15 each.hotel has an old world charm and employees are very friendly and helpful.No gym or pool or view but still pretty good.

Room Tip: We had room 106 audit was very good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights at Miss Maud's after completing a cruise at Freemantle. The hotel is old but very comfortable and spotless. It is located in downtown Perth convenient to everything.
The breakfast was outstanding! The hotel Wifi was also included and worked in the room at no extra charge.
The day we left we had an early flight which would have made us miss the breakfast. When I informed the hotel clerk about the time of our departure she said she would send breakfast to our room and asked what time. At the exact minute we asked for delivery, it was there. I had expected a roll and maybe a bowl of cereal. When it arrive it was more than we could eat! Milk, juice,cereal, danish, coffee, tea and oranges. Food is much more expensive in Australia than here in the U.S. so I hate to think what the cost of it would have been at another hotel. This hotel is built on its services and I could not have been happier with the service and value for my money. While in this area we ate lunch one day at the Indiana Restaurant at Cottesloe Beach. Great beach and fun restaurant! Loved Western Australia, its weather in February and its people! ( I found them to be friendly like Americans from the South.) Hope I can return someday.

Room Tip: I would advise a lower level room as the elevator is small and slow.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple