“No WOW Factor but did the job.”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Perth
“No WOW Factor but did the job.”
Reviewed June 27, 2009

The service was fine. We used the valet service, greeted as we drove up to the front door and vehicle taken care off - left to haul our luggage to reception and then to our room. Check in was efficient and with minimal fuss, nothing exemplary but certainly nothing bad to say. Being my girlfriends and I first stay at a 5 star hotel we where impressed with the marble foyer and made a quick inquiry about the restaurant before heading to our room.

Booked a Superior King Room. All have baths, some have spa jets. We didn't special request as we where content with being given what was offered, as per the title definitely no WOW factor but everything was as advertised. Clean room, big hot tub and a view to other city buildings. Woke up with 3 big bites on my leg, whether it was from the bed or maybe being bitten walking around the city who knows.

Dinner was great. Expensive for us students but my word, haven't eaten such a good meal in all my life.

THE GOOD
Clean, spacious room with a big hot tub.

THE BAD
Paying for internet and on demand movies.
Not being offered spa jets (if available?? not really a negative)

Side Note - On the first night we where listening to music in our room having a few beverages and enjoying ourselves until we where interrupted by a rude security man. Basically told us he's having complaints from our floor and that it was our last warning. Being that the music was quite soft and with the room having a couch to invite guests to sit down have a drink and a laugh we found this very rude, and the manner in which the security man went about our 'last warning' was very arrogant. Had we known we where being a little loud, a polite request would have been more than enough, we where only to glad to help out if we could.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
australia
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We are from the outer suburbs of Perth and on special occasions over the years we have overnighted at the Duxton and were generally satisfied (apart from the excuse for a pool and its inaccessability).

BOOKING: This time we were attracted by the special deal which coincided with our anniversary – $180 =room, buffet breakfast, overnight parking and a bottle of wine. A few days before our booking we asked if we could have a room that does not look into the offices (Cth Court) next door as one of us works there – that was understood and we were given a room at the front of the hotel.

CHECK IN: check in begins at 1400 hrs (2pm). We arrived at 1530 (3.30pm) and were advised by a professionally friendly receptionist that housekeeping was essentially in meltdown, our room was not ready and whilst she hoped it would be ready within 40 mins, she really could not say when. A free drink was offered in the bar (there is just one bar and just one restaurant) – there is something really tacky about this – as if we could be placated by alcohol. Our plans for the afternoon had to be abandoned. The room was ready within about 45 minutes.

FREE BOTTLE OF WINE (part of the deal). A bottle was delivered to us as we waited in the bar. Another staff member tried to deliver a further bottle to our room. Given what followed one could regret one’s honesty in refusing.

ROOM: spacious but tired 90s décor and the shower grouting looking distinctly old and stained. Shower head fixed and not very user friendly but in a water challenged city at least it was eco friendly. An allegedly 5* hotel with no robes or slippers and … sachets of Nestle instant coffee and teabags. More of the room later!

We went out for the evening and returned to have a coffee and liqueur in the bar. No Cointreau! Not exactly a rare or unusual drink!! Night bar staff very nice but terribly inexperienced. We called for the night manager who was incredibly unprofessional; appearing to have an attack of the giggles as he agreed it is unusual to be out of stock of this drink. However, he was keen to correct our mistake in referring to the hotel as 4*. Given some persuasion he agreed to check for stocks of the liqueur elsewhere in the building – which he found. With no apology we were subjected to a lengthy explanation as to why the bar didn’t have it and why it was elsewhere – like we cared!

ROOM SERVICE: Before midnight we decided to order up a snack. Hit the ‘room service button’ on the telephone – several times. No response. Hit the ‘reception’ button to be informed that there was no room service. When advised that there is a 24 hour menu in the room … we placed our order. One was for scrambled eggs and toast, the other a bagel. Some 40 mins later our food arrived. The eggs were cold, and sans toast. The wait person said reception gave them the wrong room number. The bagel was fine. The ‘room directory’s’ last page refers to Room Service menu as being on the next page … there is no next page. The room service menu was on the fridge/bar area.

BREAKFAST: Thinking that nothing else could go wrong and recalling luscious breakfasts in the past we lined up at the self service bain marie. Back at the table we found that the scrambled eggs, champignons, bacon and tasteless pieces of the cheapest brand of potato as well as the falsely labelled ‘grilled’ tomatoes were less than lukewarm. Enough!

I picked up my plate and en route to the service area I informed a passing waitperson abouthe the temperature of the food … she said ‘the chief should be told’ … it seems by me, as she made no effort to do so. I hung around until a chief appeared. He appeared to agree with me as he said ‘maybe the heat needs to be turned up’ !!! Meats are stored and served from this bain marie!!

As one moved from course to course the cutlery was not replaced. We resorted to helping ourselves from the unoccupied table next to us but were in effect reprimanded by a waitperson for doing so.

COFFEE: if you are even half ways towards being a serious coffee drinker do not accept the stuff served in a jug to your table … it’s included in the cost but it is pretty dreadful. Be prepared to order and pay for coffee from the coffee bar that is in the restaurant.

CHECK OUT: Be prepared for a lengthy queue at 10am.

CAR UNPARKING: 30 mins advance notice required and given. We indicated where we could be contacted ie where we were seated reading in the lobby. Time passed … eventually we checked and found that our car was outside but no one had bothered to inform us.

PREVIOUS STAYS: elegant welcome ‘gift’ of strawberries and chocolate. Prompt, experienced and efficient service through out the hotel. Seasonal fruits such as figs on the breakfast spread. Coffee awful but good stuff available from the coffee bar in the restaurant (costs extra).

FEEDBACK: perhaps the most damming evidence of this hotel’s concern for its guests is the absence of a ‘feedback’ form in the guestroom. However, I recall commenting in the past about the instant coffee/teabags in a 5* hotel and not receiving a response. Perhaps I should have taken note and expected the downhill trend.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 30, 2008

We landed at midnight; checked it at 1AM, it needed until 3 AM we finally got the baby cribs which we were confirmed by reservation 3weeks (!) ago. Then they felt sorry and moved us into a better room where our room was not made or it was the bigger mess afterwards. I told the reception but the answer was 'no worries' but I worried... We will not return to this hotel anymore and if only because we find no other room in Perth.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service attitude
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank dude2009
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2008

Had to stay in Perth on business for 1 night only and found Perth vitually booked out. Managed to find the Duxton on wotif at the last moment. The hotel certainly can be classed as 5 star and has all amenities. Nothing outstanding, though I only stayed 1 night. Friendly and efficient staff and room could be any Sheraton or Hilton. Shower was exceptional. Bit overpriced but I put that down to the lack of 5 star rooms in the city.

• Liked — Efficient staff, shower
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Perth
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I stayed here for our wedding night and have to say this is a poor 5 star hotel. Rooms were nice but basic layout, but no toobrush/toopaste, razor blades, tea/coffee making facilities etc. The room was not cheap- cost $260 for a night. The hotel was well aware this was our honeymoon and I certainly would have expected something extra.
My wife unfortunately had her change of clothes mixed up and didnt have them in the morning- breakfast was rushed as the hotel would not let us transfer our buffet breakfast to a room service breakfast.
We didnt use the pool- it was fairly small and in a very shady area.
I certainly would not stay here again- I have no doubt their are better value nicer hotels in the vicinity.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MerlsWA
London
Reviewed August 28, 2008

The Duxton was apparently converted from a government office block and this is pretty obvious in its boxy appearance. It's perfectly adequate as a business hotel, but really nothing special. Once you throw the prices that they are clearly able to get away with due to the mining boom into the mix, it is really poor value for money.

• Liked — Reasonable location
  • Disliked — Poor value for money
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I stayed @ the Duxton hotel in Feb for two nights with my mum. I have to say it wasn't too bad. The room was pretty nice and clean, we stayed in a twin room and the beds were comfy. The bar fridge was well stocked and the bathroom was pretty good and clean as well. The hotel wasn't overly busy and overall the stay was pretty quiet. For the first night we had dinner down stars @ the restaurant, the food was pretty bad... I had the duck and let me tell you I nearly puked because it tasted so disgusting.

The daily turnover service was efficient and it was nice to come back to a clean room with fresh towels and bed made.

The guys at the front desk were ok, I requested an early check in and a late check out and they were happy to accomodate my request with out charging me extra.

The hotel pool and spa were a bit of a joke tho, they seriously need to upgrade.

Overall I had a pleasant experience with the Duxton and would stay here again if I return to Perth.

• Liked — Clean Room
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business