“Weekend at the Duxton”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My sister, daughter and myself stayed at the Duxton over the Anzac long weekend. from the moment we entered the beautiful foyer the staff were amazing. Any query in regards to " where is a nice place to have desert" ( Halo- on the Jetty- easy walk) to leaving our car for an extra hour after checkout-- nothing was an issue. The room was exceptional, the bed amazingly comfortable, the location perfect, a wonderful stroll to the city shops and to the Swan River for coffee. I am planning my next trip to Perth just so I can stay at the Duxton. Perfect.

Room Tip: We stayed in 309- the room overlooked St George Terrace- there was no issue with the traffic noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Michelle C,

I was glad to read that you stay was perfect in every way. Thank you for your feedback and hopefull we are able to be of service to you in the future.

Warm Regards

Bruce G. Doig

Write a ReviewReviews (1,155)

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My husband booked a night at the Duxton in celebration of my birthday. We have stayed there before, and once again it was an absolute pleasure. We only live half hour away, but it's just nice to have a break away in our beautiful city, and the Duxton is great value for luxury accomodation.
The room is as stated, 5 star. We had a welcome bottle of wine, and after returning from our night in the city, the best nights sleep, and lovely breakfast this morning.
The staff are well groomed, friendly and make you feel very welcome.
We look forward to next time, and in the meantime thanks guys, keep up the great work!

Dear Jacquelina P,

Thank you for selecting the Duxton Hotel for your birthday celebration, I am glad you enjoyed the wine and facilities of the hotel. We are proud of the Duxton team and their achievements when it comes to friendly and warm efficient service.
Many Happy Returns and all success for 2014.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We work FIFO so stay in a lot of hotel on breaks, we stayed here for two nights the rooms are spotless and the hotel staff are so very assisting and pleasant. Valet parking too pricey @ $40 per night but the Room service was amazing we had the Ameila Park sirloin it was delicious the best I've had! We will be back for sure.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Krystle O,

I appreciate your positive feedback on the hotel especially room service. I will ensure that your review is relayed to the team and I will pass on the necessary comendations.
Thank you for your kind words and once again your review.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We once again stayed at the Duxton. They have finishes revamping the restaurant with lovely new décor. Staff very good. Service excellent. The room just your average hotel room really but spotless. The meal in the restaurant was faultless. I had the pork belly, my husband fillet mignon and a Turkish bread and dips to start and a tasting plate for dessert. All absolutely faultless. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Valet parking though expensive was excellent service and the staff at the hotel couldn't have been nicer. Will go back again.

1  Thank M B
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Happywaikiki,

I am glad that we delivered again and thrilled that you enjoyed the Firewater Grille. We are very proud of our achievements with the new renovation. Thank you for selecting the Duxton for your stays in Perth and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We upgraded our room to a river view spa room and it was worth the extra money. The room was spacious with a separate dressing area and large bathroom. As we were on the 11th floor the views across the river were beautiful.

Whilst the room was very clean and comfortable, attention to detail was needed, contrary to their catchphrase. The bed had a broken wheel and creaked dreadfully when I sat on it, the tap was leaky and too close to the edge of the sink which made it hard to wash your hands, the shower door did not shut and water consequently leaked everywhere, some mould was appearing above the shower cubicle...however these were small details and overall we liked the room. The bed was comfy, there were lots of fluffy towels and despite being near the lifts it was very quiet - in fact we didn't share a lift with a single other guest during our four night stay, despite the hotel being so large.

The hotel is more focused on business travellers rather than tourists but concierge generally tried to help with our queries. Sometimes they went above and beyond - Brian was fantastic- at other times they were a little vague, for example one guy couldn't even recommend a decent restaurant when we asked ( thank goodness for Trip Advisor).

The location is perfect for the Barrack Street Jetty area and the shops and cafés, though the CBD is pretty much a ghost town at night. However we managed to walk to the Northbridge area and found that Perth does have nightlife! The train station was a 10 minute walk away and we found the public transport system was excellent, we got trains to Rockingham ( for Penguin Island), Fremantle and Cottesloe.

If we returned to Perth we would stay here again, we liked the free wifi and had a very relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Room upgrade was $55 per night and worth it if you are staying for a while

Dear Louc77,

I appreciate the details of your review and will ensure that your comments pertaining to the room are actioned immediately. I am glad you enjoyed the comfort of your room and I will also thank Brian for his outstanding service.
The location of the hotel is extremely good for visiting the Perth CBD and Northbridge and glad you enjoyed the sites.
It is also pleasing to read that your stay was very relaxing. Wishing you a safe journey back to England and for the rest of your holiday.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed one night at The Duxton on business. It is very well located. The room was clean and adequate. The bed very comfortable. Free wi-fi was appreciated and worked well. The hotel is dated with a sterile atmosphere. The restaurant and it's staff was woefully slow, disengaged, not very busy but food was good. Room service menu was delivered but not as menu described. The front desk staff were very helpful. A mixed bag really. It's ranking does not meet expectations. It was an average experience.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank John B
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear John B,

I appreciate your constructive comments and I will ensure that we address them immediately. I was pleased to read that the comfort of the bed was to your liking and the WiFI worked well for you.
The Firewater Grille Manager has been briefed on your experience and the necessary changes to service have been made. I ensure that all feedback is actioned to continually improve our service standards.

Regards

Reviewed April 15, 2014

5 night stay . There few hotels that i would rate so lowly but Duxton hits the mark for a property that no longer understands the concept of hospitality and reflects a mean spirited and disinterested nature. In an economy fuelled by the resources boom and in a city faced with an under supply of hotel rooms the Duxton obviously feels it no longer needs to make any effort whatsoever with guests.

A$349 per night gives you the following

1. Newspaper delivered on day 1 of my stay - thereafter it never appeared again despite repeated requests to reception and bell desk ( no one wanted ownership of the issue)

2.. Room service - on the first night the dish came on a dirty plate ( grease marks evident on the rim of the plate ) and lacking the accompaniments as stated on the menu . Second night i ordered it direct from the restaurant to be sent up and again a accompaniments missing
Third night I asked if I could order something from the restaurant menu ato be delivered as room service and was advised not to as the kitchen was very busy. I decided to go out to eat and as I passed the restaurant I noticed it was hardly busy.

3. The rooms have not been refurbished since opening and are tired. The aircon is so loud its akin to a 747 taking off and therefore you can not leave it on at night if you want to sleep.
There was mould on the shower walls

4. Checkout - after 5 nights i would have expected to be asked did I enjoy may stay or something similar - the only words spoken were "here is your receipt sir."

There is one area where Duxton worked like clockwork - they delivered the bill to me overnight for express checkout - obviously in matters of revenue generation the Duxton excels

I can hardly wait for Ritz Carton, Marriott and Hilton to enter the market

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank 51intercon

Dear 51intercon,

In all due respect thank you for your review and I can garantee that this is not our usual standard and we will be addressing all the issues that you experienced. We have completed a soft refurbishment of each room and will continue to improve our rooms during 2014 & 2015.
I can understand you remarks and the choice that you have made.
Hopefully in the future we can offer you a better service experience.