“Never ceases to deliver!”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We once again stayed at the Duxton. They have finishes revamping the restaurant with lovely new décor. Staff very good. Service excellent. The room just your average hotel room really but spotless. The meal in the restaurant was faultless. I had the pork belly, my husband fillet mignon and a Turkish bread and dips to start and a tasting plate for dessert. All absolutely faultless. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Valet parking though expensive was excellent service and the staff at the hotel couldn't have been nicer. Will go back again.

1  Thank M B
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Happywaikiki,

I am glad that we delivered again and thrilled that you enjoyed the Firewater Grille. We are very proud of our achievements with the new renovation. Thank you for selecting the Duxton for your stays in Perth and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We upgraded our room to a river view spa room and it was worth the extra money. The room was spacious with a separate dressing area and large bathroom. As we were on the 11th floor the views across the river were beautiful.

Whilst the room was very clean and comfortable, attention to detail was needed, contrary to their catchphrase. The bed had a broken wheel and creaked dreadfully when I sat on it, the tap was leaky and too close to the edge of the sink which made it hard to wash your hands, the shower door did not shut and water consequently leaked everywhere, some mould was appearing above the shower cubicle...however these were small details and overall we liked the room. The bed was comfy, there were lots of fluffy towels and despite being near the lifts it was very quiet - in fact we didn't share a lift with a single other guest during our four night stay, despite the hotel being so large.

The hotel is more focused on business travellers rather than tourists but concierge generally tried to help with our queries. Sometimes they went above and beyond - Brian was fantastic- at other times they were a little vague, for example one guy couldn't even recommend a decent restaurant when we asked ( thank goodness for Trip Advisor).

The location is perfect for the Barrack Street Jetty area and the shops and cafés, though the CBD is pretty much a ghost town at night. However we managed to walk to the Northbridge area and found that Perth does have nightlife! The train station was a 10 minute walk away and we found the public transport system was excellent, we got trains to Rockingham ( for Penguin Island), Fremantle and Cottesloe.

If we returned to Perth we would stay here again, we liked the free wifi and had a very relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Room upgrade was $55 per night and worth it if you are staying for a while
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Louc77,

I appreciate the details of your review and will ensure that your comments pertaining to the room are actioned immediately. I am glad you enjoyed the comfort of your room and I will also thank Brian for his outstanding service.
The location of the hotel is extremely good for visiting the Perth CBD and Northbridge and glad you enjoyed the sites.
It is also pleasing to read that your stay was very relaxing. Wishing you a safe journey back to England and for the rest of your holiday.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed one night at The Duxton on business. It is very well located. The room was clean and adequate. The bed very comfortable. Free wi-fi was appreciated and worked well. The hotel is dated with a sterile atmosphere. The restaurant and it's staff was woefully slow, disengaged, not very busy but food was good. Room service menu was delivered but not as menu described. The front desk staff were very helpful. A mixed bag really. It's ranking does not meet expectations. It was an average experience.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank John B
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear John B,

I appreciate your constructive comments and I will ensure that we address them immediately. I was pleased to read that the comfort of the bed was to your liking and the WiFI worked well for you.
The Firewater Grille Manager has been briefed on your experience and the necessary changes to service have been made. I ensure that all feedback is actioned to continually improve our service standards.

Regards

Reviewed April 15, 2014

5 night stay . There few hotels that i would rate so lowly but Duxton hits the mark for a property that no longer understands the concept of hospitality and reflects a mean spirited and disinterested nature. In an economy fuelled by the resources boom and in a city faced with an under supply of hotel rooms the Duxton obviously feels it no longer needs to make any effort whatsoever with guests.

A$349 per night gives you the following

1. Newspaper delivered on day 1 of my stay - thereafter it never appeared again despite repeated requests to reception and bell desk ( no one wanted ownership of the issue)

2.. Room service - on the first night the dish came on a dirty plate ( grease marks evident on the rim of the plate ) and lacking the accompaniments as stated on the menu . Second night i ordered it direct from the restaurant to be sent up and again a accompaniments missing
Third night I asked if I could order something from the restaurant menu ato be delivered as room service and was advised not to as the kitchen was very busy. I decided to go out to eat and as I passed the restaurant I noticed it was hardly busy.

3. The rooms have not been refurbished since opening and are tired. The aircon is so loud its akin to a 747 taking off and therefore you can not leave it on at night if you want to sleep.
There was mould on the shower walls

4. Checkout - after 5 nights i would have expected to be asked did I enjoy may stay or something similar - the only words spoken were "here is your receipt sir."

There is one area where Duxton worked like clockwork - they delivered the bill to me overnight for express checkout - obviously in matters of revenue generation the Duxton excels

I can hardly wait for Ritz Carton, Marriott and Hilton to enter the market

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank 51intercon

Dear 51intercon,

In all due respect thank you for your review and I can garantee that this is not our usual standard and we will be addressing all the issues that you experienced. We have completed a soft refurbishment of each room and will continue to improve our rooms during 2014 & 2015.
I can understand you remarks and the choice that you have made.
Hopefully in the future we can offer you a better service experience.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We had a 9 night stay at the Duxton Hotel. Although the hotel caters for conferences and large weddings, it still retains a very personal feel and we found all the staff friendly and helpful. We had a huge room on the Club floor, which gave us access to the Club Room with views overlooking the Swan River. Each day we had breakfast there (thus avoiding the queues at the main restaurant downstairs at the weekends!), and enjoyed an early evening glass of wine and nibbles while watching the sunset - very nice indeed! All the staff were helpful, but particularly Paul the concierge, Stephen at reception, and the staff in the Club Room. Thank you all for making our stay in Perth a memorable one!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear LP-UK,

Thank you for selecting the Duxton Hotel for your 9 day stay. Your comments have been well recieved and I will ensure that the Team gets the opportunity to read your review. I will also ensure they recieve the commendation for their great service.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The Duxton was everything that a quality hotel should be. Comfortable, welcoming, sedate, well presented and clean. The staff were efficient, well dressed and pleasant. I would recommend the Duxton unreservedly.

Room Tip: Don't be too enticed by the river views at the back of the hotel although they are great. The fr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Avogil,

I appreciate your wonderful review and glad that the hotel was everything you expected.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed four nights for a business event. I was very fortunate to be upgraded to a King suite and although I didn't have a view of the Swan River it was a very nice room. My colleagues had other room types and all were pleasantly surprised with the room space. Rooms are very clean and well presented. I had access to the Club lounge and enjoyed breakfast (included in the room rate) with a beautiful view of the river. The scrambled eggs looked dismal but everything else was very good and plentiful. The service in this hotel is above and beyond, all staff were friendly and helpful. The Grill restaurant was excellent as was the event catering.

The hotel location is great, lends itself to some good walks on the river and also walking distance to the main streets of Perth CBD.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, its only negative is the cost per night, however Perth is a very expensive city for accommodation at the best of times.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear KarePhilBrisbane,

May I take this opportunity to thankyou for your positive review on the hotel and our facilities and services. I will ensure that the team recieves the praise that they deserve. I have addressed the eggs with our Club Manager and Chef, change has occurred.
Hopefully we are able to be of service to you in the future.

Kind Regards