“Great hotel and location for business trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne
“Great hotel and location for business trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Only stayed for one night, but the hotel was perfect for a short business trip. The room was clean and the service was great. The location of the hotel is perfectly situated in the Perth CBD. The highlight for me was the Firewater Grille, which offered excellent food!

Room Tip: Eat at the Firewater Grille!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear ScorpioMelb,

I appreciate your valuable time to list a review about your recnt stay with us. Thank you for your positive comments and especially our Flagship the Firewater Grille, This makes us very proud.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Bruce G. Doig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

we visit the Duxton every couple of years for our Wedding Anniversery.
We do love this hotel, as it seems to be the best value for money in Perth.
We stay in a lot of hotels, so we feel we know what is good and what is bad.
The rooms are delightful, if you can afford to stay in the Excutive suites you will not be dissapointed. The package is great, with breakfast included, and evening drinks and nibbles.
The only gripe i would have if you could say it, was we stayed in the same room that we booked in 2 years ago. There is a hole in the roof, in the bathroom and you can see ducting and the roof cavity. There are cigarette burns in the bath. Now they were there 2 years prior, and we complained about it and moved rooms. this time we stayed in that room and it is also behind the lifts, to my surprise the lift noise was not excessive and did not disturb my sleep. for a hotel of that stature, one would think that maintenece would be of the upmost. Althouth those 2 things did not hinder our stay, for the price you pay per night, the rooms should be immaculate and have no maintenence issues. We dined in the new refurbished resteraunt, that night, as was a little dissappointed with the meal. The service of the wait staff was impeccable, but when it came to the oysters Kilpatrick, we got 3 oysters with grit in it. We told the staff to let the chef know, as this is his domain. No discount on the meal, and we should have sent them back, as this really is not acceptabe in a fine dining resteraunt. Breakfast in the morning was a fantastic range, but a sign of a lazy cook, when all the bacon has been cooked in a slab, so parts of the bacon were cooked and other parts just cooked. A few tweaks in the eating department and I would give you a ten out of ten.

Room Tip: The river view rooms have a great outlook, but are a little smaller than the excutive suites. Rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicole S,

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Duxton Hotel and that you return frequently.
I appreciate all the points that you have raised and I will ensure that they are all addressed with the appropriate team members.
Your feedback is very valuable to us and we forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sincerely

Bruce G Doig
Houston, Texas, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The Duxton is top of the line in Perth, very classy, great service, good restaurant, rooms are nice and roomy with great shower and comfortable bed, nice stay when so far from home, they always deliver first class service.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear David H,

Thank you for your review I appreciate your kind words. I am pleased that all the homely comforts that we have added is being appreciated by our guests.

Best Wishes

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at the Duxton twice. The first time service was somewhat less than hoped for, with a bathroom that was less than one would expect. Then we toured WA and returned to the hotel.

The second stay, however, was magnificent! My son was admitted to hospital and the hotel cared for me as if I were a member of its own family. I can only say that, over the ensuing 8 days, as the staff (from the driveway, to the restaurant, to the cleaners) came to know me, I received right royal treatment.

As one who was staying for a longer term, I really appreciated small items, such as a (complimentary) laundry, which is rarely available in a five star hotel.

If I have a criticism, it's with the pace of drink service in the restaurant - a little slow.

Overall though, the Duxton could not have been better.

Room Tip: Any room, apart from 806, where the plumbing was less than acceptable.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear StayalotNewcastle,

Sir, I was pleased to read your review and that the Duxton team cared for you in a family way. I will ensure that the team recieves my personal appreciation.
Thank you for choosing The Duxton Hotel and hopefully in the future we are able to be of service to you again.

Best Wishes

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Today a friend and I celebrated our birthdays with a High Tea at the Duxton Hotel. After reading mixed reviews from all over about different High Tea venues i was undecided as to where to go. A lady who came to our celebration had been to the Duxton before and recommended it. So we booked and attended. Even though some of the party were late, the staff were wonderful, patient and polite. The High Tea was filling and a variety of different foods. I would recommend to anyone to go there, and I noted that there was a lot of patrons doing High Tea as well as our party of 11.
So give it a go, well worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Kate P,

I was pleased to read your review, I appreciate that you thoroughly enjoyed your afternoon tea.
I will pass on your comments to the Firewater Grille team.

Thank you for selecting the Duxton Hotel.

Kl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Have stayed at various 'upscale' hotels in Perth but this was the most disappointing and really underscores the dichotomy of how does a conversion from tax-office to 5* hotel work ? It doesn't ...

My observations correlate with those in Ryan E's review: drab rooms, lack of sound-proofing, lack of amenities and out-of-the-way location (unless your business is at the concert hall or my office around the corner and you intend to stay in of an evening).

For a hotel that ranks itself as a 5*, I expect better than to hear private telephone conversations from the next door room and when a bunch of teenagers are on the fllor you know what noise is as well as when there's a wedding-party downstairs.

Dripping taps and minutes, instead of seconds, to adjust the water temperature .... Eh, not quite right for the rates charged.

Wi-fi, mediochre reception and and not used to having to go and sit on the WC to get decent strength signal and most times the energy-saver kicks-in on iGadgets (phone or pad), wi-fi disconnects - irritating.

Someone should also educate the kitchen staff how to cook bacon .... Instead of taking a slab of bacon and separating the slices so that the slices are cooked on both sides ... The complete slabs are left complete and cooked on side and then turned-over so that the individual slices (when separated in the warmers) are anemic and unappetising ...

Also didn't apprecite an unauthorised AUD 800 being taken from my credit card (I knew about it because HSBC notifies transactions by text msg) and having to ask for that AUD 800 to be deducted from the final account.

All in all not a great value proposition.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Wotney,

Thank you for your review, I would like to discuss your personal review directly with you. I look forward to your reply

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Overall a very good hotel for business travels. I like the aesthetics of the hotel, the room is quaint and lovely, clean and comfortable; also, the room is vary spacious. The meeting room is average but the food is divine. They also offer free wifi to all rooms... :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear L P,

I appreciate your positive review on the hotel and glad that you enjoyed our accommodation. Thankyou for selecting the Duxton Hotel for your recent stay, your patronage is valued.

Kind Regards