“Great Stay in Perth, AU.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Houston, Texas, USA
“Great Stay in Perth, AU.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The Duxton is top of the line in Perth, very classy, great service, good restaurant, rooms are nice and roomy with great shower and comfortable bed, nice stay when so far from home, they always deliver first class service.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear David H,

Thank you for your review I appreciate your kind words. I am pleased that all the homely comforts that we have added is being appreciated by our guests.

Best Wishes

Bruce Doig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at the Duxton twice. The first time service was somewhat less than hoped for, with a bathroom that was less than one would expect. Then we toured WA and returned to the hotel.

The second stay, however, was magnificent! My son was admitted to hospital and the hotel cared for me as if I were a member of its own family. I can only say that, over the ensuing 8 days, as the staff (from the driveway, to the restaurant, to the cleaners) came to know me, I received right royal treatment.

As one who was staying for a longer term, I really appreciated small items, such as a (complimentary) laundry, which is rarely available in a five star hotel.

If I have a criticism, it's with the pace of drink service in the restaurant - a little slow.

Overall though, the Duxton could not have been better.

Room Tip: Any room, apart from 806, where the plumbing was less than acceptable.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear StayalotNewcastle,

Sir, I was pleased to read your review and that the Duxton team cared for you in a family way. I will ensure that the team recieves my personal appreciation.
Thank you for choosing The Duxton Hotel and hopefully in the future we are able to be of service to you again.

Best Wishes

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Today a friend and I celebrated our birthdays with a High Tea at the Duxton Hotel. After reading mixed reviews from all over about different High Tea venues i was undecided as to where to go. A lady who came to our celebration had been to the Duxton before and recommended it. So we booked and attended. Even though some of the party were late, the staff were wonderful, patient and polite. The High Tea was filling and a variety of different foods. I would recommend to anyone to go there, and I noted that there was a lot of patrons doing High Tea as well as our party of 11.
So give it a go, well worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Kate P,

I was pleased to read your review, I appreciate that you thoroughly enjoyed your afternoon tea.
I will pass on your comments to the Firewater Grille team.

Thank you for selecting the Duxton Hotel.

Kl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Have stayed at various 'upscale' hotels in Perth but this was the most disappointing and really underscores the dichotomy of how does a conversion from tax-office to 5* hotel work ? It doesn't ...

My observations correlate with those in Ryan E's review: drab rooms, lack of sound-proofing, lack of amenities and out-of-the-way location (unless your business is at the concert hall or my office around the corner and you intend to stay in of an evening).

For a hotel that ranks itself as a 5*, I expect better than to hear private telephone conversations from the next door room and when a bunch of teenagers are on the fllor you know what noise is as well as when there's a wedding-party downstairs.

Dripping taps and minutes, instead of seconds, to adjust the water temperature .... Eh, not quite right for the rates charged.

Wi-fi, mediochre reception and and not used to having to go and sit on the WC to get decent strength signal and most times the energy-saver kicks-in on iGadgets (phone or pad), wi-fi disconnects - irritating.

Someone should also educate the kitchen staff how to cook bacon .... Instead of taking a slab of bacon and separating the slices so that the slices are cooked on both sides ... The complete slabs are left complete and cooked on side and then turned-over so that the individual slices (when separated in the warmers) are anemic and unappetising ...

Also didn't apprecite an unauthorised AUD 800 being taken from my credit card (I knew about it because HSBC notifies transactions by text msg) and having to ask for that AUD 800 to be deducted from the final account.

All in all not a great value proposition.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Wotney,

Thank you for your review, I would like to discuss your personal review directly with you. I look forward to your reply

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Overall a very good hotel for business travels. I like the aesthetics of the hotel, the room is quaint and lovely, clean and comfortable; also, the room is vary spacious. The meeting room is average but the food is divine. They also offer free wifi to all rooms... :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear L P,

I appreciate your positive review on the hotel and glad that you enjoyed our accommodation. Thankyou for selecting the Duxton Hotel for your recent stay, your patronage is valued.

Kind Regards

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here with my husband and 19 year old daughter for 5 days. From the moment we arrived I knew I had chosen well. Joseph the doorman greeted our taxi with a cheery hello and our bags were whisked away and up to our room. Luca at reception was also very welcoming and thoroughly professional. Our room on the 11 floor was very spacious as was the bathroom and both were beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. Breakfast was included and it was delicious, loved the omelette station and all other food was freshly cooked and frequently topped up. We also had access to the club lounge on the 12th Floor which we availed of for complimentary canapés and drinks from 6 - 8pm. The lounge was fantastic with stunning views over the city and the swan river. I had a problem one evening where a friend who was visiting us needed a pharmacy (it was Sunday evening) reception found a pharmacy, rang and confirmed that they were open and had what my friend required, wrote out the address and gave us directions. Couldn't have been more helpful. Location is excellent we could walk to everything. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Brenda R,

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful review and I was pleased to read that every moment of your stay was an excellent experience.
I will ensure that the team are aware of your review, I will also personally commend their efforts.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind Regards

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Not sure how this hotel gets so many positive reviews. For its price one would expect actual 4 star service... and it is being rated 5 star (says so right on their website)?

The ONLY positive this hotel gets is for its location. Not sure where other visitors have stayed during trips as this hotel is nothing more then a 3 star out dated Travel Lodge, and I am trying to be nice. Just came from a trip to Hong Kong and Manila, both hotels were FAR better - as to be expected. When one stays at a 4 or 5 star hotel, one expects:

1.) Sound Proof Doors (I could hear people talking quietly in other rooms)
2.) Pleasant and interactive Restaurant Service Staff w CLEAN seats
3.) Cleaned windows.. mine were FILTHY
4.) Bathrobe, slippers anything?? Room came with 6 hangers and a closet...
5.) Reliable internet service
6.) At least a LITTLE water pressure. I have stayed in on site camps in Liberia using buckets to supply hand pumps for manual showers, and I PREFERRED showering at these locations versus this hotel.
7.) Good food.. the buffet was similar to cheap Vegas all you can eat overnight breakfast buffets. don't eat those eggs. I might also add I tried a pastry and it was stale and in my opinion, not fit for consumption.
8.) Noon check out if not LATER as a standard. 10am check out? Is that a joke? They did give me a later check out when I asked, but why should anyone have to request a later then 10am checkout in a hotel that costs this much?

If you do not get at least HALF of the above list in your hotel stay, then you are staying in a motel off the highway, OR the Duxton. The only reason this hotel, with its dark stale rooms, is still in business is because some people don't know what SHOULD be expected when staying in a high-end hotel.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in room 1010, if they offer you the key to this room demand to pay appropriate rate of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ryan E
Dear Ryan E,

Thank you for your review. I would like to make myself available to discuss your review in more depth.
I look forward to your reply