“Well deserving of all five stars!”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Well deserving of all five stars!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I am currently two days into a four day stay celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and we couldn't have chosen better! We are staying in a club room which gives access to the club lounge where you can experience delicious canopes as you watch the sun set over the river. The breakfast here is first class and nothing is too much trouble.
From the moment we set foot in the door we have received the most amazing service. The lovely young lady with the Irish accent who checked us in is a delight and always takes the time to check everything is okay every time we see her. It is the sort of service you used to get in Sydney ten years ago which seems to have faded.
Our room is very spacious and quiet with free wifi. The bathroom is huge and tasteful. The bed is so comfortable and the lounge equally so.
I would fly back to Perth just to stay here again! It will be very hard to leave in two days time! Stay at the Duxton if you want to enjoy being made to feel very special.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Trudyr1,

I was delighted to read your review. Thank you so much for the praise and I will ensure that the entire team is aware of your comments and satifaction with the service and the hotel overall.
Thank you for selecting The Duxton Hotel perth and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Bruce G. Doig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed here for two nights. The staff were welcoming and attentive and certainly addressed my concerns regarding early morning noise. However, the hotel is looking tired and Im surprised that it has a 5 star rating.
We were also unimpressed that we had to pay to park the hire car. We would have appreciated being told this at the time of booking, when we booked many weeks beforehand.
The breakfast in the hotel dining room was very good.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lyn F
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Lyn F,

I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. I read with surprise about your comment the hotel is tired, if you would not mind, I would like some further clarification on your comment so I can get your specific views why you you beleive the hotel is tired. I am contactable on my email address:-
gm@perth.duxton.com.au
I appreciate your comments also on valet parking charge and I will ensure that our team are aware to ensure that all our guests are informed accordingly. I will also pass on your comments on the good service and attentiveness of the staff, also I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast at the Firewater Grille.

Hopefully we are able to be of service to you in the future..

Bruce Doig
MELBOURNE
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We booked a Club Room level Suite for 2 nights to attend a Perth family wedding. The Duxton has renovated what was the old Tax Dept building so there were constraints to work with. Rooms are spacious and very well furnished but all the suites back onto the elevator shafts which are noisy and woke us from several times throughout the night. We asked to move first thing next morning and the staff were very helpful in re-locating us immediately.
The buffet breakfast is plentiful and varied with a lot of staff on hand to take orders and clear away tables. The pool and spa area is small but a nice addition to an old building especially in Perth in mid-summer. Club level facilities are adequate. Sitting in the cosy Club room with miniature windows overlooking the gorgeous Swan river made me feel like running across the lawn and diving into the water. We did not have time to eat in the dining room but the menu looked appealing. All staff we engaged with were excellent to deal with.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by lift shaft unless you sleep like a log!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ANN K,

Thank you for your comments on the excellence in service that that you experienced and I will ensure that the Team recieved the necessary commendation for their efforts.
It is with reget you did not have the opportunity to enjoy the new Firewater Grill it is absoultely superb, maybe next time when you visit.
It is always challenging when refurbishing an exsisting building there are restrictions and I feel that the building was refurbished with appeal and grace at that time. I am glad that your room was comfortable yet spacious.
I appreciate your time and kind words. Hopefully we have the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Overall a very nice stay for two nights on a business trip. It is in a nice location within waking to the Swan River, parks and downtown. Checkin was efficient, and personnel were courteous and helpful, if not at times a little austere. The room was spacious and comfortable, at the back of the hotel and looking out on to a government building. Room smelled of cleaning stuff, and this persisted. In-room dining trays left outside rooms on the floor seemed to be there for hours before pickup. Breakfasts were excellent - abundant choices and delicious food, although it took three requests to get some coffee that was actually hot, and not tepid. And this was ultimately delivered as if it was an incredible burden. Do get beyond that disgusting instant coffee in the rooms. A drip filter system / coffee plunger / French Press would be a nice addition. Internet was not stable, and barely worked at times, if at all, in one of the conference rooms I was working in.

Room Tip: Always ask to check a room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear WorldTraveller089,

May I take this opportunity to thankyou for your review and also listing the issues that require immediate attention.
I have thanked the reception team for their attentive service to you and also commended the Firewater Grille team for the excellent breakfast.
I have personally followed up on the points you raised pertaining to the temperature of the coffee, the chemical odour in you room, the room service trays, wireless strength and I am also reviewing the in room coffee.
I always ensure that the points raised by our guests are treated with immediate action and dedicated to ensure that our guests experience is of a high standard at all times.
Sir, to identify your room that you occupied would be handy so I can access the situation with our IT Supplier and find why the signal difficulties occurred.
I apologise for the inconvenience these issues have cause you and to reassure you the necessary action will be taken.
My direct contact details are gm@perth.duxton.com.au

Gold Coast
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at the Novotel Langley and Crowne Plaza on a prior visit to Perth and the Duxton is the pick of the three...but at $300 a night, it ought to be. Nice, but relatively expensive for what you get compared to other Australian capital cities. But that's Perth for you: the resources boom seems to have inflated prices beyond the norm.

• Stayed June 2013
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Hanyut,

Thank you for your comments and your personal preference with the Duxton Hotel. We believe we offer a wonderful comfortable experience to all our guests. We also offer very attractive accommodation package rates these can be found on our website for your review.

Thank you your review on TripAdvisor has be warmly recieved.

London
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I visited for business & was told this was meant to be the best hotel in Perth. It didn't work for me in many ways:
Firstly no phone by the desk so I had 2 hr conference call sat on floor next to bed. No robe or slippers- this had to be requested. Not enough tea/ coffee provisions & toiletries. I ordered room service & the Thai curry was mediocre. Not what I expected for the rating & price. The concierge staff were brilliant & nice location yet next time I will try another.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear sassykh,

I appreciate the feedback on our services and I will ensure the necessary action is taken to improve the location of the in room telephone and will also review the inclusion of bathrobes and slippers and the quantity of tea & coffee supply for each room.
Thank you for your praise of the concierge team I will pass on your comments to the team.

Thank you for your time and comments to assist us in improving our services.

Bruce Doig
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed in a Club King Room for two nights. The Hotel is situated an easy 10 minute walk from the Perth main shopping area. The staff were excellent, friendly and efficient. The club lounge was good both for evening drinks and canapés and also for breakfast. The room was excellent clean and newly decorated. We had dinner at the Firewater restaurant in the hotel and I had one of the best steaks I have ever had!!
There was a problem with the hotel water supply during our stay and the water was turned of for a short period however we were kept well informed when the water was off.
The bed was excellent and the room had its own stereo system and also an iPod docking station.
Over all a great hotel well located with good staff and facilities.

Room Tip: The club rooms are excellent
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear andypb40,

It is always refeshing to read such a positive review and that our team are ensuring our guests are looked after at the highest level. The facilities and Club rooms that you have mentioned are exceptional which we are all very proud of. We will continue to strive for excellence at every opportunity.

Once again thank you and I will pass on your review to our Team