“Birthday High Tea”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Got taken out for high tea for my birthday at the Duxton Perth. Got the sparkling high tea. Don't drink so asked for a cappucino instead. Was told no. Asked to see the manager. She relented. All o.k. Got the high tea. Very dissapointing. Sandwiches were tasteless, brownie was stale. They had chocolate mousse and tiramisu in small cups, which I thought were better suited for after dinner desserts.
To cap it all off I found a hair in the jam, just as I was about to eat it with my reheated scone. The tea got cold very quickly as the cups were very wide and shallow. All in all very dissapointing for $48.00 per person.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Edie B
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Edie B,

Thankyou for your review. I value all feedback which gives us the opportunity to improve our services.
I have personally investigated your disappointments and all issues raised have been addressed with the managers concerned and immediate improvements made.
I apologise that these short comings spoilt your day and thank you that your feedback has made a difference.

Bruce G. Doig

Write a ReviewReviews (1,156)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

After visiting family up in Broome had a 3 night stay in Perth before jetting back to the UK.
What a great choice we made when picking out the Duxton.
Every thing about this place impressed us, the standards were very high and all the staff were excellent, friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: May be worth upgrading for a river view.

Dear Zaggycat,

I appreciate your wonderful review and I am also pleased that your stay was everything and more than what you expected.
Thank you for staying with us and maybe in the future we have the opportunity to look after you again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My better half and I booked into the Duxton Hotel Perth as we were doing the HBF Run For A Reason on Sunday 26 May and thought lets make a weekend away of it as we sometimes do.The regular hotels/appartments we normally use only had 1 of the 2 days we needed available so we thought lets try the Duxton "its 5 star" and it had the Sat/Sun available.We arrived at 2 pm and were greeted by the valet parking Gent(good start) who helped get our luggage out of the car before parking it.We then entered the lobby and headed to reception(noticed holes in lobby ceiling and water buckets placed underneath said holes uh oh !!).We were checked in by friendly staff and inquired about the renovations that had been taking place-"they are complete but we are replacing the wall paper floor by floor at the moment" no mention of why holes were in ceiling and buckets collecting leaking water ?!?!.Got to our room to discover it to be very small,no balcony and windows couldn't be opened.If we had ordered room service don't know where 2 people would eat it as there was only 1 office type chair and a very small desk type table available.Better half used the bathroom/toilet only to discover there was no water coming from taps ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!.Called reception to be told "the pipes in this place are very old and the mtce people are doing some work-maybe have the water back in a couple of hours-sorry".There was no warning of such a inconvenience-nothing !!!!!!.The people at this hotel are very friendly and perhaps great actors as they have to act like they work for a 5 star hotel which clearly this establishment IS NOT.Will never stay here again !!!!!! Small footnote: My Kitchen Rules judge Manu was staying here as well-for a man who "likes his sauce" I shudder what he thought of the hotel (bearing in mind his room/s were probably palatial if they knew who he was.

Room Tip: Book another hotel.
1  Thank 844Craig1966
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear 844Craig1966,

Sir, I appreciate your observations and with the a burst water pipe that occurred over the lobby was very trying situation and the only way to fix the issue was to shut the water down for a 2 hour period. I appologise for the inconvenience caused to all our guests at this time. This situation had to be handled with immediate action to reduce the problem becoming greater.
Most of our guests were understanding in this matter and although the holes in the ceiling is not 5 star it became the only access point at the time.
Sir, in due respect sometimes we have to react without delay when a issue like this occurs to minimise the effect to the guest and there was no time to place letters in rooms, although reception staff are advised accordingly to relay information to our guests.
The room you have reserved was a deluxe room and we do offer four style of rooms and derverse in size and facilities, this would offer better seating area as you have indicated.
I do hope that I have your understanding in these matters and will ensure that all areas are fixed as soon as possible to bring the foyer back to its original presentation.
I did have the pleasure of spending some valuable time with Manu on Saturday evening and upon his departure of the hotel on Sunday he was extremely delighted with the hotel and the service he experienced but he did mention the leak and the water issue and said these issues can occur, he was ok with that.
Once again sincere apology for the inconvenience cause to you and hopefully we have another opportunity to be of service to you without a burst pipe.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Great Hotel in Perth city, excellent bar, restaurant and room.
We were there while they were renovating the front but this didn't affect the quality of our stay.
We would highly recommend this hotel. The valet parking is very efficient.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear meatm8,

Thank you for your delightful review and we are pleased that we were able to offer you the Duxton experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed overnight when attending a function in Perth. Great first up impression from the guys at the entrance, very friendly and nothing was a problem, they even offered to go and get out tickets we left in the car.
The hotel is very well decked out and feels very welcoming, and the room was very comfortable. Only a couple of small things; the taps leaked in the bathroom and the water temp in the shower was all over the place with very low pressure. Please also look at getting the tv channels sorted, so many channels coming up as not available or weak signal, the hotel is in the centre of Perth, not out in the sticks.
Overall a very comfy stay, and we would come back, its in a good location and close to everything in the CBD.

Room Tip: The ones down on the lower floors on the south side face on the Federal Courts, very bland outlook...

Dear Deano_au,

Thank you for selecting the Duxton Hotel for your recent stay. I apologise for the water pressure imperfections and we have now resolved these issues. The television channels have been reset, and the minor in room issues corrected.
I appreciate your comments and pleased that you will return to the hotel in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back as well.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed in November 2012.
Our room on the 8th floor was ok, but the en-suite was a nightmare. We informed the Hotel of a toilet that " ran ' all night, leaking vanity tap, and the shower was appalling. Cold, or blistering hot...
We were assured that " this would be looked into", upon leaving 4 days later it still wasnt fixed.

Prob should have complained a bit " louder", but the hotel was getting ready for the " Hillary Clinton Visit", so prob werent that interested in ordinary people like us!

We dont think we would return, as there is a lot of choice in Perth now, and didnt find some of the Reception staff overly helpful, which is a shame, as its in a good location, and the Foyer is lovely.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rosalee_12

Dear Rosalee_12,

I appreciate your review and I apologise for inconvenience cause to you during your stay. I would encourage you that the water issues have been resolved and the minor room faults have also been addressed.
I was encouraged that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and foyer ambience. We have also now completed the hotel refurbishment program and do hope that we have the opportunity to showcase our changes in the future.

Kind Regards

Bruce. G Doig

Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Duxton Hotel for 3 nights as a stopover on our way home. We booked a King room and found it to be extremely comfortable, especially the king size bed. Everything in the room was 5 star and if I had to put a negative I'd say the bathroom lacked the 5 star feel. Great Lobby bar and the Fire Water Grille restaurant was fantastic whether breakfast, lunch or dinner. The staff were exceptional and very assisting when required.
As for location you won't find better, whether your a local or new to Perth easy access to all of Perth has to offer.

Room Tip: You must ask for a King room you won't be disappointed.

Dear Tony W,

I was glad to read that your stay was extremely comfortable and that you enjoyed the Firewater Grille. We are very proud of our achievements with this wonderful restaurant and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.