“All the magic happens on the ground floor”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“All the magic happens on the ground floor”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Duxton for 4 nights over the weekend, with a mixture of business engagements on Friday and Monday so we could enjoy our first stay in Perth over the weekend.
We stayed on the 9th Floor in a Deluxe King room. (I think).
The entrance and lobby was quite impressive and held great promise that we had chosen well in going a bit more premium for our first Perth experience, and the staff all seemed very courteous and professional as you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
Our first sight on exiting the lift on our floor however was a very large section of wallpaper peeling away from the wall, literally hanging out into the hallway. The room was average and not really to our taste, but OK. The grouting in the shower tiles had a bit of mould. The walls were really thin - we could hear normal level conversations in the rooms next to us.
We used the gym and pool facilities which were deserted and unstaffed, even the TV in the gym was turned off, on a Saturday morning at 9am! obviously not a big fitness fanatic hotel.
Breakfast however almost made up for all of these small gripes - it was fabulous - we had the buffet included and ordered fresh poached eggs and barista latte's were provided at no extra cost. Big tick! Also the very helpful concierge who managed to book us a table at a lovely restaurant on Mothers Day should be commended.
I think I would try somewhere else next time in Perth, there were no major problems here and I wouldn't say 'avoid it' but it certainly didn't blow us away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Natsplash,

Your comments on the Duxton Team is very pleasing and I will ensure that it is relayed to all staff. We pride ourselves on the genuine service that the team provides. Currently we are replacing all wall paper throughout the hotel and my apologises that the section of paper has been temporarily missed.
The gym and pool are unmanned areas although we provide telephone communication and duress alarms in all areas, Saturday mornings historical are very quiet in the areas you have mentioned.
The Firewater Grille is performing with excellence with magic and I will also ensure that the team is copied in on your comments of praise and satisfaction.

Bruce G. Doig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a typical 5 star hotel in a good location. Staff were all pleasant and helpful, room service food was good and very generous portions. The pool area was lovely - we didn't find the spa hot enough but that's perhaps just personal preference. Rooms are a good size, bathrooms nice but mould in the grout, some are renovated, some not apparently.

The downside. We stayed for a week. When we checked in and entered our room I immediately ascertained it had had a smoker in it - something I find quite repulsive. I tried to stick it out but the next morning asked to change rooms. The second room didn't smell as the first one did BUT a couple of days later I could smell smoke wafting in from the corridor (this was on a different floor to the first room).

I called reception who said they would investigate. They called back a little while later and confirmed they could indeed smell smoke but couldn't locate it's origin. Personally I would have knocked on every door and used my nose but they are obviously not prepared to go that far.

That night I returned from dinner out and low and behold there was an in-room dining tray placed outside a room - with an empty packet of cigarettes on it?!?! I again called reception, giving them the room number and they said they would deal with it.

The Duxton claims to be a smoke free hotel but clearly it isn't. We could not find, in either rooms, a notice about the smoking policy along with a penalty charge for smoking, something you do see in other hotels. I wouldn't stay there again purely for this reason and wouldn't recommend it to people who don't like the smell of cigarettes. Next time we'll try to stay in a nice B&B or boutique hotel with windows.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TheWallmaniser,

I appreciate your valuable time to advise us of your recent stay. Your comments are valued and gives us the opportunity to strengthen our service standards. We are 100% non smoking hotel and the penalty for guests non complaince to this policy is $300.00 fee. This deterant is not always adhered to by some guests and the cleaning issues are difficult at times especially in a short space of time when high occupancies are evident.
As you have mentioned that it is difficult to knock on every door due to sleeping aircrew and other Do Not Disturbed guests. On departure and housekeeping collects evidence the guest is on charged to $300.00 penalty.
I have followed through on the in room signage and we have ensured that all rooms have the relevant notifcation.
I appreciate your sincere concern and thank you once again for bring these issues to my attention for the necessary corective action.

Regards

Perth
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed just one night and attended a show at the Concert Hall next door which was very convenient. The package included valet parking and breakfast for a reasonable price. The room was spacious and well appointed, staff friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear One Chop,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay. I am extremely glad that our team and the Hotel facilities were up to your expectations and I will ensure that the Team are congratulated for their service commitment.

Sincerely

Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a night while in the city to go to Cirque du Soleil - Ovo.

Location was good as we wanted to walk to Langley Park for the show.

The very first thing we noticed was that the staff were very friendly (without being over the top), and this continued throughout the stay. Certainly couldn't fault the service which is always a plus in my books.

We stayed in a King Spa room which was beautifully clean and though it was a bit of an unusual shape for a hotel room it actually works really well.

The hotel itself was nice and mostly seemed in very good condition. Noticed a few minor repair points but nothing that was worth bringing to any ones attention.

Had a bottle of wine included in our stay which was quite a reasonable drink and the breakfast was also included and well presented with a good selection.

The only thing that we really weren't that impressed with was that we were paying $320 for the room and because we were paying with a Debit card they took a '$300' deposit. we felt that this was rather steep and could see that this might cause difficulty for a couple who may be having a special night out and just don't have a spare $300 to hand over. What would have happened if we didn't have that amount of cash in the account??? Would we have been asked to leave??? My booking was held online by using a Debit card and the booking receipt that was emailed through doesn't appear to say anything about having to provide a deposit - especially one that large.

Other than that we had a lovely relaxing stay and would recommend it for a stay in this area of the CBD.

Room Tip: Make sure you have extra cash if you are using a Debit card for your deposit. There are curtain tie...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anita E,

I was pleased to read that your stay was a memorable one and the our team have excelled in their service approach.
In respect to your room deposit, unfortunately we have a hotel policy to safe guard the hotel against those guests that do not act in a professional way and it needs to be an overall policy with the use of Debit Cards and room deposits in general. I understand your disappointment with our procedure but I am also understanding to your comment and wish to reassure you this method of sercurity is necessary.
I will ensure that guests are informed in advance to eliminate any embarassment to any guests in the future.
Sincerely thank you for your kind words and hopefully you are able to enjoy the Duxton experience in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This hotel has a great location, not far from the airport and convenient to walk through the city or the waterfront.
On approach to the hotel you'll probably get worried, it's not a pretty building, looks like an old government tax office or something, but once inside its quite pleasant.

The rooms (club I think) are spacious and airy, with good AC and free wifi, they a reasonably quiet although the road outside can be noisy.
The bathrooms are big with a separate tub and shower.
There are plenty of amenities in the room and many mini bar options available.

The room service was quick, and the food was hot..ish, though I found the food to be quite bland.

I tried the bar and bar food also, service was ok, although they did not smile much, and again the food served was presented well and was hot, but not tasty?

On this occasion I didn't have chance to use the pool or gym.

In general I say a nice hotel, but I'd recommend a high floor to minimise the noise from the road.

Room Tip: Ask. Fr a high floor away from the road, and a river view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear GBSDO,

Thank you for selecting the Duxton hotel. I appreciate the feedback in the areas you have mentioned and will ensure that the issues are immediately addressed to ensure better service in the future. I am also glad that you have enjoyed the hotel and left with a positive experience and in general recommend the hotel to fellow travellers.

In appreciation

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

On arriving at the Duxton I was very impressed. The reception area is very nice and welcoming and the staff were very friendly.

The club lounge is a nice spot and has a fantastic views around the river. I also thought the breakfast was of a good quality.

One thing that did disappoint me was when I tried to go for a meal in the restaurant on the first evening at around 8pm. I was told that I would need to wait 45 minutes for a table, even though there were only 6 or 7 lot's of diners in the restaurant. When I asked why I had to wait so long for a table I was told it was because the kitchen couldn't keep up with all the orders!! I decided to eat elsewhere.

The rooms and business facilities are also starting to looking a little tired and could use a spruce up.

It isn't a cheap hotel by any means, but then again no hotels in Perth are. I would say that the Duxton is probably the best of the higher end hotels on offer in and around the CBD.

Room Tip: Book a club lounge room. Also request a room on the river side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Easy_Farva,

Thank you for your review and the wonderful comments on the hotel and the facilities. I have personally ensured change to the delay in waiting for a table, this should never happened, I apologise for the inconvenience.
I appreciate your closing remark that the hotel is probably the best of the higher end hotels in the CBD.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed for three nights in April 2013 on a work trip.

Reception were polite and helpful, although a couple of staff members seemed to want to make me feel dumb when I didn't know what was done by reception and what by concierge. Checking in and out was easy and quick. If you are going to use the airport connect shuttle and travel by public transport within the city, be prepared to tell them many many times "no thanks" when they try to book you a taxi!!

The room and bathroom were nice, spacious, and spotlessly clean. Wifi was excellent, good connection and easy to use. It was included in my room rate. The walls seemed rather thin, as I could hear every word of the TV news when someone was watching it in the room next door. It's possible they were hearing impaired and had the volume up high?? Watching a movie on the TV will cost you about $15.

I feel that $34 for continental breakfast ($38 for cooked) is rather expensive, but there is a small convenience store directly across the road. The location of the hotel is excellent with public buses, the city centre, and walking/cycling tracks along the river very close by. The gym, swimming pool and sauna looked good, and apparently they have bikes for hire.

I would be very happy if my company wanted me to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Sam5697,

It was a delight to read your review and appreciate your comments on breakfast pricing. I will ensure that the team has the opportunity to read your review and assess your comments in a postive manner.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.