“Not good enough for 5 Star”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I booked a night for our wedding anniversary for a night of Luxury. Upon arrival we had to swipe our card for the hotel to freeze $300 of our money for security deposit. I have stayed at alot of hotels and usually $100 is normal but 300 is totally exessive!
We booked the King Delux, it was ok but furniture was out dated and bathroom had mould in it! The walls in the room were dirty and they didnt have any tissues in the room which i thought was weird? Decided to go for a steam room and spa but found the steam room wasnt working and the Spa was a tiny whole in the ground which also wasnt warm or working. Over all I thought the stay was very average and expected more from whats supposed to be the best hotel in Perth. Definatley not worth the money

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Shiiiiindy,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us and I apologise for the inconvenience cause to you for the steam room being out of order. The Spa temperature has not been functioning properly recently and I have personally followed up with our departmental managers that the approriate signage to inform our guests that services are out of order are extremely important at all times.
In respect to the security deposit this policy is essential to the $300.00 value due to the increased cost of goods and services that are available today. I appreciate that your comment $100.00 is adequate but this amount of $100.00 had been charged previous but has increased over the last 5 years to ensure the security of goods and services offered. I hope you appreciate our view in this important matter.
I have taken the corrective action to ensure that the facilities within the hotel are available to guests at all times.
Thank you for your comments once again and do hope that you are able to consider using the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

A large and pleasant hotel with good facilities – pool, gym room safe, steam room, self-service laundry facilities and free internet access. Our room was large and comfortable with a good-sized bathroom and shower. I found the young concierge (or maybe he was the duty manager) very friendly, and extremely helpful in advising on the sort of pubs and restaurants that I was interested in.

The hotel is well situated, being only a short stroll from the attractive riverside and not much further along to the main jetty for boat trips. There is a stop for one of the free city buses in the next street (and the free buses are a good way of getting acquainted with the geography of the city).

Breakfast is the usual buffet combination offered a good range, although many of the hot items were not really hot, only warm (except the eggs, which were prepared to order). I know we usually had a fairly late breakfast, but it should be kept hot throughout. However, we did have dinner one evening, and thought this was very good and well presented, with good service.

One thing that did slightly irritate is that on checking in they wanted a credit card from which to take, or ‘freeze’ a substantial amount against possible expenditure. I was told that this amount would be re-credited if nothing was spent, but it would take several days for the amount to be ‘unfrozen’. Now while I can understand hotels requiring some sort of security against fraud by individuals who book in themselves, and who the hotels knows nothing about, we were visiting as part of a group that had been pre-booked by a very reputable tour company, and which uses the Duxton regularly. Therefore, had there been any unpaid bills, or an undisclosed raid on the mini-bar, they could easily have traced us through the tour company – although the tour company would make good any shortfalls in any case. Having had my credit card abused twice by hotels in the past and cloned once I don’t use one any more (except in emergencies), I found the insistence on this irritating and unnecessary given the circumstances of our visit. Fortunately the Tour Manager stepped in and managed to get this requirement waived in my case, although I do know that others in the group were unhappy at having to give card details and having money ‘frozen’. Maybe the hotel should re-think this requirement for those booked through a reputable tour group.

Apart from this we had no complains and were happy with our stay at the Duxton.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Marlabarfly,

I sincerely appreciate your supportive words on our hotel and the service standards that you experienced. I welcome your comments on the breakfast food temperature and this has immediately been rectified by our Executive Chef and Chief Engineer.

In respect to credit card authorisation for group I will address this matter with our Front Office Manager and make the necessary arrangements for change. I will ensure that the Team recieves the commendation for their personal service efforts. Thank you for your valued patronage and hopefully we look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Bruce G. Doig

Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We checked in late and were lucky to get a room upgrade. Some rooms have river views and some city . The hotel is walking distance to the city . Breakfast is one of the best I have had in a hotel. What I liked the best was the staff attitude. It's always nice to be wished a good morning with a genuine smile.

• Stayed: February 2013
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear JamesPatten,

Sir, thank you for your comments on the Hotel and the service by our breakfast team. It is always rewarding for the Team to recieve compliments. We appreciate you selecting the Duxton Perth Hotel during your stay in Perth. We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully very soon.

Regards

Bruce G. Doig

Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

This a gorgeous hotel and room service breakfast was great but..
2 issues I personally had was the bed was far too hard. I am not against a firm bed but there was no softness to it at all.
The second thing is there is no parking on site. Valet parking was available for an exorbitant price.

• Stayed: February 2013
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear MDJ6232,

I appreciate your feedback and that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel in general. I would like to address the two points of concern.
The beds are all new and we will be fitting luxurious bed toppers this month that will ensure all guests recieve a renew comfort.
Unfortunately the hotel needs to charge for valet parking because of the labour involved to operate such a service and that the Perth City Council charge levy fees on our bays. I do hope you can understand my remarks to warrant the relative charges.

Regards

Reviewed February 27, 2013

General experience over a 3 day stay:

- unprofessional checkin
- old room that is in desperate need of a makeover
- room service sloppy
- water pressure non existent
- wifi constantly drops out
- can hear the guy in the room adjacent to me loud and clear as he talks on the phone! What the?!

Do yourself a favour and look for something better. I'm regretting the choice.

1  Thank gza222

Dear gza222,

Thank you for advising me of the faults during your stay. We are addressing the areas that require attention as you have mentioned. I apologise that you have been inconvenience during your stay.

Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights thanks to work as we were moving to the USA. Staff lovely and go the extra mile, lobby, rooms and pool all immaculate! Even though there was renovations going on i hardly even noticed it. I was working in the room most of the time so room service couldn't get in although would always come back and make up room when I was out to lunch. Very impressed by this!
Only bad point is the WiFi is terrible. Very hardto connect too and drops out every 30 seconds. Considering it was free during our stay due to renovations I didn't complain but if I was paying the usual $8 per day I would have been very upset. Moving around room, corridor and even the lobby didn't help. I even changed laptops and asked the staff but no help could be given.
So if your someone like me who desperately needs the Internet to work make sure it's working properly before staying here.

Dear Ashleyw123,
Thank you for your words of praise for the service your recieved. I apologise for the inconsistency of the WiFi. I have made some adjustments to the our WiFi system to prevent the reoccurence of these faults in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to advise me.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has the look and feel of a hotel that would have been great 10 years ago however they forgot to stay on top of maintenance. They are doing some renovation work now and whilst the rooms are very large and comfortable the overall quality of service and presentation lets it down.

I've stayed here a number of times and based on my experience, you have a 50/50 chance of having a pleasant stay. I’m undecided on whether to recommend this hotel and have split the pros and cons below. Depending on what you are looking for and the high prices of accommodation in Perth, you may still wish to give this hotel a go.

Pros
Large comfortable rooms
Large bathrooms with separate shower and bath
Friendly front office staff
Free internet
Easy to find free parking near hotel
Views over the river

Cons
Disclaimer: Not all issues occurred on the one night

Rooms not cleaned properly (hair in bathroom from previous guest)
Rooms not cleaned properly (towels / face washers soaps not replaced)
Rooms not cleaned properly (toilet cleaner left in entry way to room)
Hot water can take up to 10 minutes to start running in some rooms
Poor room service – hair in apple crumble
Poor selection at buffet breakfast

I did complain to management and whilst they rectified the situation, it felt as though they were accustomed to the complaints and did not really care to improve / believe there service was of a high standard.

Best of luck...

Room Tip: If staying here, ask for a room close to the lifts on the river side. The best chance of having a ni...