“Perfect for a city honeymoon”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights for our "honeymoon" following our Perth wedding - we live in Queensland and wanted to stay close to family in WA but still spoil ourselves. It has a convenient location - walking distance from the city center but not smack bang in the middle of the action. Dome cafe across the road is also very nice and convenient if you want a meal or coffee close by without dining in the hotel.

As you would expect from the Duxton, the staff were fantastic and the hotel itself was beautiful. Even with renovations in the lobby it still managed to be picturesque. We loved our room, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very stylish. We ordered room service a few times, which was hit-and-miss. The ceasar salad and angus beef burger were average, but the chicken sandwich was the best I have ever had! Breakfast buffet was very good with quite a range.

The thing that really stood out for us was the staff. There were very friendly, always with a smile on their face and willing to help, but not at all pushy or intrusive. Very well done to the staff and management. One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and definitely recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kazleberry
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear kazelberry,

Congratulations on you wedding and thankyou for selecting The Duxton Hotel for your honeymoon. I appreciate your sincere comments on the hotel and its facilities as well as the outstanding service from all the team.
I have personally commended the team on their personal efforts. Once again thankyou very much and we wish you both all success and happiness in you new life together.

Bruce G. Doig

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This lovely hotel is in such a brilliant location. Really geared up when checking in and out at unusual times. I had a medical problem while staying on a business trip where I had a nasty bite to my leg and the hotel staff were so helpful. Since I had to spend a day resting I was upgraded to a suite for my comfort and have to say that although my deluxe room was lovely, the suite was fantastic.
Staff were very helpful and caring.
Two small points - breakfast is very expensive for whats on offer. Dome across the street is fab.
Bar staff dont seem very happy at work!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear RonaG3105,
I was pleased to read your wonderful positive review on the Hotel and the attentiveness of our team members. I was made aware of your medical issue and I do hope that you are feeling a lot better. With the two small issues that you have also raised I have review these service issues and it has resulted in a positive outcome.
Thank you for selecting The Duxton Hotel Perth and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes for 2013 from the Duxton Team

Bruce G. Doig

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am here on a business trip.
1. Reception seem fairly responsive.
2. At times I have let the phone ring at room service for 3-5 minutes with no answer. 2 consecutive days, with different excuses. Finally got through on day 2. The man even repeated my order yet forgot the bucket of ice.
3. The wireless internet is somewhat slow but fairly stable. The wired internet does not work at all.
4. I asked for assistance with connecting to my company VPN. No one on site knows how to do this. Their service provider returned my "escalated" call after 14 hours. When I called them back, their system has hung up on me 5 times.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank George B
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear George_Bro,

It is with regret that I read your review and I have taken the necessary action to resolve all the issues that you have raised, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that this has caused you.
I emphasis that I will resolve all these faults with immediate urgency.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have had notice that the Duxton has undergone a renovation of there restaurant / breakfast area and we will certainly visit here again if we return to Perth.
Very central location to water ways and city.
We were lucky enough to get a good price to be able to stay at such a lovely hotel but ALL hotels are expensive in Perth so any deal you find for accomodation take it.
Gym could be updated a little.
Had room service one night and chef was very accomodating at changing the menu to suit my wishes though the meal was smaller than anticipated but prices compared with other places we had eaten was reasonable.
Good spacious room with view of city.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear mkno8759,

I appreciate that you have enjoyed the hotel and our services. I have taken onboard your comment on the gym and will assess all equipment for future refurbishment.
The Firewater Grille will be opening in early February and will bring to Perth a very unique dining experience that Perth has never seen before, we are all very excited.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Booked in here for Christmas. Bright airy hotel with all the facilities to be expected. Very central to Perth city centre. We had Christmas Day dinner here, although a buffet, it was very good and we enjoyed it all. Even though the hotel was busy, the staff were vey friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ken R,

Sir, thank you for you wonderful comments on the hotel. I have passed on your remark to the Team and I also have personally thanked the team for their service dedication.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Duxton is by far one of the best hotel of Perth. Great location, magnificent rooms and details in the decoration around almost everywhere. The rooms are big and the beds area a dream with big fluffy pillows. But all the good things that the hotel has is somewhere lost with the service disposition.

The Breakfast is also a low point with a very crowded atmosphere and what it seems a very understaff place. The options are not the best either. The staff is by far the lowest point. The front desk staff is always in a bad mood and the bar staff looks that they want to be in other place. Only the concierge is always friendly and happy to help.

Room Tip: Lake view are way better and more private.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear RMartinSDXB,

I appreciate that you have enjoyed the hotel and its features. I read with disappointment that our team have not supported the ambience of the hotel. I have initiated with my management team an immediate interaction with all team members to immediately change these poor service habits although your positive and complimentary remarks on our concierge team is appreciated.

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

While the majority of staff are very friendly and helpful, the male bar and dining staff let this hotel down. One lacked confidence and needs to learn how to smile. The others had no eye for detail which can be annoying in the dining room of a hotel of this standard. The room and food were the quality you expect in a hotel of this standard. Just a shame some of the staff don't measure up.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear M G,
Thankyou for your honest feedback pertaining to our Team members, I have personally addressed these vital service issues that you have raised and we have initiated further development training and also a one to one counsel to the appropriate members of staff.
I am glad that you have enjoyed the quality of room and the food.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon