“A TRULY CLASSY HOTEL”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. From the elegany lobby to the beautifully appointed rooms, this hotel is top of the line. The Grill restaurant was exceptionally good although very pricey. The front desk clerks were very helpful and the restarant staff were attentive and well informed. The location is excellent. My only complaint would be that I had to get a new room key three times. They suggested I keep the key card away from my phone but that didn't stop me from having the problem occur again. In general, I think all hotels need to be rid of these key card entries, wherby you have to slip the card into the slot. I stay in hotels that have a card scanning unlocking device and this seems to work much better.
I would highly reccomend this hotel and and I applaud them for a wonderful level of excellence.
I will certainly be back next time I am in Perth.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mambojo
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Mambojo,

I appreciate your wonderful response on Tripadvisor. I have personally expressed my gratitude to all the Duxton Team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Bruce G Doig
General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Telephoned and made a booking for high tea at the Duxton as a surprise for a friend who was getting married. Luckily we were running late because when I phoned to let them know, they had no record of my booking! The lady asked my name and then proceeded to read other (completely different) names on the list, as well as phone numbers, asking "is that you". She was quite unapologetic about not being able to find my booking, laughing and saying that I must've booked under another name (which I didn't as I definitely know my own name!) and as my phone number wasn't recorded against any of the bookings she did have, they must've booked me in for the wrong day or not bothered to take my booking at all. I'd suggest that if you do make a booking here, you should phone back to confirm later as their English is not very good or just save yourself the hassle and go elsewhere. I sent a complaint to the Manager but he couldn't even be bothered emailing me back! So thank you Duxton for ruining a special day I had planned for my friend! And no apology either. Lovely!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank visitor666666
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear 666666,

Thank you for your feedback. I would personally like to talk to you in reference to your experience. I can be contacted on my direct line 08 92618052. I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed 5 nights, double room without breakfast, view of the St George's Terrace. Our rooms was spacious and comfortable, with two large windows and comfy easy chair for reading. Breakfast was no problem as coffeemaker provided in the room and plenty of places to eat within walking distance, especially the croissant place across the street and half a block to the right (2 mins). A nice feature is the free laudry room on the 3rd and 9th (I think) floors, especially when you are on an extended trip. The pool area at the back is small but very comfortable and it's nice to enjoy the afternoon sun there. Easy walk to the park along the Swan river (one block), it's a beautiful promenade and often you can watch dolphins at play in the river , which at that point is salt water with plenty of fish, the locals said. The staff is very nice, friendly and quietly efficient. Concert Hall next door and Government House two doors down, with gardens open during lunch break some days. The hotel used to be an office building but there is not a hint of that anywhere. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on higher floor with view of the Swan river.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 123,163

Dear 123163,

Thank you for selecting the Duxton Perth Hotel. I appreciate your positive remarks on your recent stay with us and have also posted your comments so the Team can also appreciate your feedback.

Your comments definitely reassures us that the effort that the Team is placing on genuine customer service is very encouraging. We wish you all the best and a safe journey for the rest of your trip.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed for two nights after our wedding and it was amazing. Club King Room overlooking the river was huge, the view was incredible and the bed/pillows were comfy.
Complimentary pre-dinner drinks and nibbles, and breakfast in the Club Lounge were both varied and delicious - there are a few hotels in the city that do buffet breakfasts but I'd say this is the best as far as quality and flavour goes.
Staff were friendly and service was speedy. Very quiet in rooms although you can hear other people a little bit. No ventilation fan in bathroom that I could see. I was apprehensive after reading so many poor reviews but we were very impressed. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the river - the view is unbeatable!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bec17

Dear Bec17,

Congratulations on your special day. Thank you very much for your wonderful review and I have personally passed on your review to the Duxton team. Also on behalf of the Duxton Team we wish you every happiness and prosperous future.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Use all facilities on offer as this is not a cheap hotel but it is worth it for a special occasion. The staff were great except for one surly barman. Breakfasts are a little ordinary and expensive. Try Domes over the road, much more pleasing.

Room Tip: Ask for the spa suite. These are on a corner of the building and you do get a corridor from your be...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Patricia D,

Thank you for selecting the Duxton Hotel for your recent visit to Perth. I appreciate your comments and wish to reassure you that all feedback is addressed in a positive and constructive manner. The Duxton Hotel is continuing with our refurbishment program and emphasis is always a priority to provide excellence in service.
Appreciate your valuable time.

Best regards

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Duxton hotel is quite nice. The lobby is pleasant, the rooms are good and the bar has a little patio looking out onto the street which is a pleasant place to sit. Except for the excellent concierge staff, the rest of the staff are backpackers who've been in the country for a couple of months, speak little or no English and have no concept of service. As in most of Australia, the idea of service is to grudgingly to do the minimum. Try to get a cup of coffee at the restaurant at 6:25 am and you get yelled at because they don't open until 6:30...5 star service is "Yes sir I'll help you as soon as I can." If you're used to what Australia calls five star, you won't find any of this particularly surprising or new, but if you're used to an international standard of five star then Duxton is maybe a 3-star. For some reason the people servicing the rooms thought that if we had a half-bar of soap left that this would see us through the next day so we had to ask the front desk for sufficient amounts of soap (does this sound 5*?)

Room Tip: All the rooms were quiet and nicely appointed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vbinCBR
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear vbinCBR,

I appreciate your feed back on your recent stay with us. I have passed on your excellent comment to our concierge team. We have a customer service program current in place and this program will be a ongoing for the development of our team.
The issue on the early breakfast service has been addressed in a postive manner to all team members.
I have advised our Exceutive Housekeeper to conduct an immediate change to ensure that the soap replishment for all rooms is corrected with immediate effect. The Duxton Hotel prides itself with outstanding service as our guests have indicated on trip advisor. I do hope that we are able to ensure a better culture on your next visit to Perth.
I ensure that all comments are acted upon in a professional and immediate effect as we deal with any issue that may be relavant to our reputable image and most importantly to the service of all our guests..
I apologise for the inconvenience cause to you and wish you a safe and enjoyable trip.

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Duxton this weekend just gone for our anniversary and we were extremely happy with our stay and could not understand the unhappy reviews and complaints we had seen previously.

On arrival our car was swiftly whisked away by the valet and we were greeted warmly by both receptionists immediately. Although the receptionist was losing her voice we were served swiftly and efficiently and were on our way up to our room in no time.

The Club King room was beautiful, at over 50 square meters it was bigger than a standard 1 bedroom apartment (and much more luxurious) and had clear views across the Swan River. Immaculately clean and well stocked we had fluffy robes and slippers, assorted toiletries and there was not a spec, smear or stray hair to be seen. The bathroom was massive and marble from top to bottom.

Apparently there are currently renovations going on but the only (very minor) inconvenience we could notice was that one of the elevators was out of action - we only ever saw one workman and even though we were supplied with earplugs in our room for the noise we never noticed a thing - and we were only 3 rooms away from the elevator bank too.

We ate at the downstairs restaurant for dinner on Sunday evening and were served by one of the loveliest and most professional staff I have ever seen - he was polished, polite, non-intrusive and always available when needed. I am a (notoriously fussy) qualified chef and have worked in 5 star hotels across the country and could not fault either our service or our delicious meals that evening.

Thank you Duxton Perth for such a wonderful stay - we will back again soon and we have told all of our friends :)

• Stayed: October 2012
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Reallyfussytraveller,

Thankyou for your wonderful feedback from your stay with us on the weekend. I have personally thanked the team for their wonderful Team effort. We continue to strive for service excellence and we look forward to welcoming you back maybe to try our new restaurant which will open in February 2013. Truly an international experience.

Appreciation to you from the Duxton Team