“The staff just doesnt care”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“The staff just doesnt care”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Met at the reception with the worst welcome ever, I am an organized person and I have previously sent for a special request, which this hotel always met. I have previously rated the hote service as great but this time the receptionist was unbelievably terrible. Not only was she rude, the assistant manager actually came over to add on to the rudeness and terrible service. He not only admitted to the availability of my request, but he denied to provide it to me and my fellow colleagues checking in.
I believe in a customer service oriented business, the staff should seek every opportunity to meet the guest requests, and if this is not available then this is fine, but when it is available and met with rejection from the staff, the hotel should employ people with will to help.
Please do not go to this tired hotel, do not go to this tired service and staff, find yourself a different place to stay, there are plenty of hotels nearby willing to offer everything to make a guest happy.

Room Tip: Any other hotel is better than this one, staff are rude, plain rude, they just do not care what you...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank spectra7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Liked the stay, rooms were a good size. TV a liitle small but did the job. I would stay again as the weekend special rate was good. The only down side was breakfast was a bit ordinary. Hot food wasn't overly flavorsome and cold selection including fruit a bit sparse.

• Stayed January 2012
Western Australia
Reviewed December 22, 2011

As promised, I stated after my next stay at the Duxton to provide comment on our impression the second time around.
Check-in staff were great.
Food and room service OK.
Down side that was a huge let down.. I asked for some frozen goods of mine to be stored in an available freezer, reluctantly this was accommodated but parcel was then lost with no apology or compensation offered. ;(
The amenties--> on the couple of occasions we used the gym and pool area I was less than impressed. No towels available as they had all been used and left untidily by the pool side along with everyone else's cocktail glasses and left behind rubbish. It was obvious that no staff members were at all concerned about the upkeep of the pool and gym area. Made an otherwise classy looking hotel completly tacky. Overall this has made me reconsider returning. The Pan Pacific has got me on consistency in terms of a quality stay.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Giboos
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My partner and myself have just arrived home after a months holiday travelling to Hong Kong, Perth and Singapore - we had booked 5 star all the way. The Duxton was very disappointing. We spend two weeks in this hotel and needed to ring house keeping on 8 occasions for toiletries and each time they arrived with one shampoo and one bubble bath which were the grand size of a 15ml bottle - just enough to wash your hands not have a bath.
The pool area is so small, unless you are there between the hours of 12 - 1pm you will not get any sun as shawdowed by other buildings and it also seems to be a wind trap.
Breakfast is very good but totally over priced - nip across the road for a good quality breakfast for half the cost.
I prefer to use a bath rather than a shower, each time you took the plug out, water came up through the drain in the centre of the bathroom floor , luckily I had the towels on the floor and didn't slip. We complained about this 3 times and were told it had been fixed and we would be given extra towels just in case but this didn't happen. The only way we were able to stop the floor flooding was to sit in the bath and let the water out slowly. We were told this had never happened before and they were unsure what to do - however another guest said the same thing appened to them an they now used the shower.
The wals are very thin, you could hear the people talking in the next room and closing doors throughout the night.
One last thing - check your bill when leaving. We were charged for car valet - we arrived by taxi!! and an extra meal in the Grill.
Otherwise the hotel was pleasant but no way a 5 star.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary W
Dubai
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Not bad in terms of comfort, took a top floor room with views of the river. But you will pay for the privilege. Unfortunately there is a dirth of good hotels in Perth for which the local industry is only too happy to pander to.

As I said not bad in terms of cleanliness, appointments and accoms, but surely WA can do better?

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank philfamdxb
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed here for 7 nights for a meeting. Hotel is ideally located near ferries and downtown, trains and buses nearby. The building was originally a tax dept facility and thus the rooms are functional but windows are very narrow. Staff were extremely pleasant and concierge especially helpful. The exercise room was surprisingly well equipped despite its small size. Overall a pleasant stay and more than suitable if in Perth on business.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank hepadoc
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I'm writing this as I'm still in my room at the Duxton. This hotel, advertised as a luxury hotel and priced accordingly, has been one of the most disappointing stays I have had in a long time. Here's a quick list of the negatives followed by the positives:

THE NEGATIVES:

1. The water temperature in the shower keeps fluctuating from scolding hot to freezing cold, and there's nothing you can do about it.

2. No shower robe provided, no slippers provided, and very basic amenities and toiletries.

3. Wi-fi costs nearly $20 a day, or thereabouts. Seriously, in the year 2011 they still charge such prices for something that should be free.

4. I asked for a late check-out since my flight was in the afternoon and it was out-right refused and dealt with poorly. I only asked for 30-60 minutes more and was quoted some ridiculous half-day rate. I was advised too check out as normal and that I would be allowed to spend that hour in the lobby. Seriously. I'd rather go and kill time (or myself) at the airport.

5. The location is so so. There are more central hotels.

6. Room service always managed to deliver beverages without glasses or bottle openers.

7. The so-called "spa" consists of a small pool and adjacent whirlpool outside, often in cold wind, and the temperature of the water is too cold. Very, very uninviting.

8. The walls must be paper-thin. You hear everything. I think I heard the guy next door fart last night. I'm not kidding. And I hear slamming doors all the times, entire conversations, etc. It's like staying in tents.

Other than that, the breakfast buffet is average and overpriced. Housekeeping not very professional. The air con in the room is too loud. The decor throughout tired and depressing. And so on.

THE POSITIVES:

1. I am leaving tomorrow.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business