“Well located and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Perth
New York City, New York
“Well located and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed here for 7 nights for a meeting. Hotel is ideally located near ferries and downtown, trains and buses nearby. The building was originally a tax dept facility and thus the rooms are functional but windows are very narrow. Staff were extremely pleasant and concierge especially helpful. The exercise room was surprisingly well equipped despite its small size. Overall a pleasant stay and more than suitable if in Perth on business.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank hepadoc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

I'm writing this as I'm still in my room at the Duxton. This hotel, advertised as a luxury hotel and priced accordingly, has been one of the most disappointing stays I have had in a long time. Here's a quick list of the negatives followed by the positives:

THE NEGATIVES:

1. The water temperature in the shower keeps fluctuating from scolding hot to freezing cold, and there's nothing you can do about it.

2. No shower robe provided, no slippers provided, and very basic amenities and toiletries.

3. Wi-fi costs nearly $20 a day, or thereabouts. Seriously, in the year 2011 they still charge such prices for something that should be free.

4. I asked for a late check-out since my flight was in the afternoon and it was out-right refused and dealt with poorly. I only asked for 30-60 minutes more and was quoted some ridiculous half-day rate. I was advised too check out as normal and that I would be allowed to spend that hour in the lobby. Seriously. I'd rather go and kill time (or myself) at the airport.

5. The location is so so. There are more central hotels.

6. Room service always managed to deliver beverages without glasses or bottle openers.

7. The so-called "spa" consists of a small pool and adjacent whirlpool outside, often in cold wind, and the temperature of the water is too cold. Very, very uninviting.

8. The walls must be paper-thin. You hear everything. I think I heard the guy next door fart last night. I'm not kidding. And I hear slamming doors all the times, entire conversations, etc. It's like staying in tents.

Other than that, the breakfast buffet is average and overpriced. Housekeeping not very professional. The air con in the room is too loud. The decor throughout tired and depressing. And so on.

THE POSITIVES:

1. I am leaving tomorrow.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank Therooster
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

Vey nice hotel, with excellent location for walking in the city and access by road. Get a river view if at all possible, the higher the better. Had a problem with the Grill creating two medium rare steaks on the same night as the concert hall and several hotel events were going on. Steaks took 35 minutes to arrive, after a couple of 'where are they' questions, then were clearly medium to medium-well. The restaurant manager tried to tell us they were MR, then said 'but you haven't taste them yet', which wasn't the best handling of the situation. We paid for our drinks and went to the bar for a burger (excellent burgers!) and on arriving there the F&B manager asked us what was wrong at the Grill. Long story short, he was very accommodating, helpful, and recovered the situation with his quick and focused response. He knows how to run a good hotel F&B operation, and is to be commended for his prompt response. Bed seemed on a rubber base and sqeaked when sitting down or turning over at night. Sink plug couldn't move, and while maintenance response was quick (though we had to use a stopper), why wasn't this found and fixed when the room was cleaned before us? We would go back with staff like that.

Room Tip: Choose high floor river view! If too low, you are blocked by the building in front.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

We booked in for one night to see a show at the concert hall and got the special weekend deal. Well the room was very spacious and comfortable and clean. The staff were exceptionally helpful and courteous to us and we would highly recommend a stay here. Just one gripe was we couldn't book in for dinner at the restaurant when we wanted as they were booked out until 7:30pm. However we ordered room service and the food was sumptuous. Breakfast the next morning was also excellent and the staff were very accommodating. My husband uses a wheelchair sometimes and the hallways were wide with plenty of room for moving around. Many many thanks.

Room Tip: We had a normal room and it was plenty big enough to accommodate my husbands wheelchair for moving a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Margaret River, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed for just one night to attend a show in Perth, and it was great. Booked through Wotif and got a great deal. Service was prompt and polite and the room was fine for our needs.
We will stay again, thanks!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

I have stayed in three hotels in Perth. This is the best so far!
The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The down side is only the thin wall which I can hear the cleaners cleaning the rooms at different times of the day.

The location is good. 10 minutes walk away from the city area.

Friendly & polite staff. I will recommend this to my friends.

Room Tip: Take the corner rooms if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dubai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

Stayed at Duxton a few occasions. Front office staff are neither friendly nor helpful. In a previous occasion I was promised my preferred details would be in hotel reservation system for a smoking room, however there were no allocation as per my request this time round too. Staff are Just doing what they have to do and that all. I have got the feeling they are not interested going that extra mile.

Rooms are very clean and of average size. As with many hotels in Australia (in my experience) TV channels on offer in the room are very limited.

Although not a huge food and beverage selection is available, I make it a point to do breakfast buffet in this hotel as I personally enjoy the atmosphere. Again, service staff are not the friendliest. A simple request for a news paper at breakfast appeared to be too much to ask for....so was a smile from the staff!
TIP : Do not forget to try the "Fresh Mango youghurt" at breakfast (Out of this world!).

Hotel bar is a nice place for a few drinks with colleagues. Service there was swift and friendly.

Conveniently located with easy reach to many restaurants, shopping areas.

Very average hotel.

Room Tip: Avarage Hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business