“Nice Clean and Quiet Place to Stay”

Quality Hotel Ambassador Perth
Ranked #40 of 64 Hotels in Perth
High Point
“Nice Clean and Quiet Place to Stay”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

As you know, hotels are a premium price in Perth. The client I was working for put me up in the Perth Ambassador. It is a quiet and clean hotel with no frills. It is considerably less than other hotels in the area. It is in the heart of the downtown district, so it is an easy walk to most offices. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the property. However, some of them do close early. I found my room clean and very basic. I did have a comfortable stay, and I thought it was a good stay. If you’re in the area, I would recommend the Perth Ambassador if you can enjoy a no-frills hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jcoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have stayed in hostel which is cleaner and more comfortable. The service was poor. The general presentation of the hotel was poorly, gives you the impression that it is just there to take advantage of the artificially created lack of hotel room vacancy in this city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WWW138

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Perth Ambassador Hotel for 6 nights while I was attending a conference. The Ambassador hotel is located on the edge of the CBD and is about 25 minutes walk from the Perth Convention centre and Market Square, although as it is within the free transit zone you can catch a bus into the city - and a Red CAT bus stop is located nearby on Hay Street, with buses every five minutes. The hotel is very well located for car hire - Thrifty is next door, and several other car hire firms are located on the same block.

We booked several months in advance and received an excellent rate (for Perth) of $160 per night for the room plus $15 per person for the hot breakfast.

The hotel as a whole is starting to look a little tired - in our room there were stains on the carpet and chips in the furniture and bathroom tiles etc. First, some positives:
* Free internet wireless is included in the room rate, which was reliable and relatively fast - I always believe this is a big plus for any hotel.
* The hot breakfast (at $15 per person with our booking) was also excellent value. There was a choice of 3 cereals (Corn flakes, Nutrigrain and Special K) and for the hot course bacon, sausages, tomatoes, hash browns, baked beans, hard boiled eggs, a second egg option (which was variously fried, poached, scrambled and quiche), and two additional options which varied between mushrooms, hot croissants, fried rice, stir fried noodles and stir fried vegtables. There is also an expresso machine in the breakfast room.
* Our experience with customer service was positive although, as some reviewers have noted, some of the staff have limited English. One example - when we returned home I realised they had issued me a receipt rather than a tax invoice - I called the hotel and they e-mailed me the tax invoice within 5 minutes.
* The room was relatively large and the bed was comfortable,
* Some Foxtel channels are included in the room rate, and
* Parking for hotel patrons is only $12 per night, noting that the parking is not under cover.

A few minor gripes and things for prospective patrons to note:
* the airconditioning vent in our room looked like it had not been cleaned for a long while and was very dusty,
* the window to our room was also quite dirty on the outside,
* the bathroom does not have face cloths for patrons,
* the soap dispensers in the bathroom seemed to "block up" occasionally and need several presses to get them working - we had to get maintenance to fix the one over the bath - noting that they did respond very promptly as we reported it when going to breakfast and it was fixed by the time we had finished, and
* there were only two "free" powerpoints in the room, so to charge two phones and computer simultaneously we needed to unplug the kettle.

I can understand people paying a lot more per night being disappointed with what they get at the Perth Ambassador but accommodation in Perth is generally very expensive. For the rate we received we think the Perth Ambassador represents excellent value for money and If similarly priced, we would be happy to stay at the Perth Ambassador again.

TC

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ThinController
Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Booked over night, found checkin went very smooth, as there was 4 of us in 2 rooms the manager was very nice and upgraded our rooms so we could be on the same floor...... Always a bonus..
Rooms were good size, everything was very clean ever though not super modern.
But considering this is a 3 1/2 star hotel it met this standard easily..........

Breakfast was inc in our deal and very sufficient and covered on the basics...

Overall a good experience, staff very helpful and would stay again...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Wuxi
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Well, what I should say is that Perth in general is overpriced in terms of hotels. The Ambassador is particularly so - a tired property on the edge of the CBD. $265 without breakfast. Breakfast was another $19. Room was functional but very much in need of a facelift - as are all the lifts and common areas. Staff were fine - helpful. Breakfast was ok. Gym is one weight machine, one stepper and a rowing machine with a 1970s sauna....

There are a lack of options in Perth but my advice is pay another $50 and get a much better experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JohnAfromSydney
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I recently booked two nights for two rooms as part of a business trip.

I had to cancel the booking for one of the rooms as the circumstances changed and only one person was required to attend. As the cancellation was the same day as the arrival date one nights penalty was to be applied. I did not have a problem with this although my company has used this hotel many times in the past and they were still accommodating one person.

I asked that the full amount be refunded to my credit card and the outstanding penalty amount be charged to another credit card, also in my name but purely used for business purposes. This was flatly refused at first as the reception staff did not understand what I was asking due to their extremely poor english. I subsequently spoke to a supervisor, who when asked as to her position, begrudgingly told me she wasn't a manager. I was told a manager would contact me in a few hours. That was almost a week ago.

I received an email chain which had bounced between the hotel and their booking office, Agoda, from three different people all saying different things. The most absurd being that they had tried to contact me repeatedly by phone. I questioned this as I made sure I was contactable and had no missed calls or messages on my mobile phone. The email reply was that they had tried to contact me in the room; which you will by now recall was the same room that I had cause to cancel.

I am still several hundred dollars out of pocket due to their incompetence and poor communication skills. After almost a week I would expect some form of communication to attempt to resolve the matter. As a result of their absolutely disgusting service I and others from my company will be staying at other hotels during our frequent visits to the Perth CBD.

Oh and the other person that stayed at the hotel had just as shameful an experience actually staying at the hotel with the quality and cleanliness of the hotel being sub standard and almost all but one of the staff having very little english speaking ability.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank EJA_2012
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I live in Perth and whenever i need 5 mins to myself or have an event in the city i need to attend, i always stay here. Great little hotel, staff are very friendly. Rooms are great, yes the decor may be a little dated but it has every thing you need. Room service is also quiet exceptional just wish it was open for a little longer. People are only complaining about the hotel because they never did their research before they chose to stay.

Look forward to my next visit in June :)

Room Tip: Corporate rooms are the best size wise