“Spacious apartments, nasty parking, a little out of all the action, mediocre”

Mont Clare Boutique Apartments
Ranked #45 of 65 Hotels in Perth
York, England
“Spacious apartments, nasty parking, a little out of all the action, mediocre”
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Certainly does not deserve its 4 * rating.
Our one bedroom apartment was large and spacious, but the shower leaked and was not very good. Seemed to be full of rules, and the staff were not particularly helpful.
Parking was horrid, tight spaces and usually overfull, so you were left to park on the street.
Pool is pleasant enough, very long but quite narrow.
Apartments are serviced only once a week, and they won't take out your rubbish. For no services or hotel type services, I think the rates are quite high. While the apartments are spacious, they are not especially clean, the furnishings not especially comfortable. The lock on our door was not working, so it could not be locked. It was repaired the same day we reported it.
It is not in the middle of everything, but only a 10 minute walk from the centre amongst the shops, etc.
Noise not a problem as they impose a fine if there is even a complaint of noise. Nice reassurance, but more rules....
I would not bother going back.

• Liked — Lots of space
  • Disliked — Where to begin? Parking, cleanliness, lack of service, lack of helpfulness of staff, etc....
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gallivantingtheworld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Indonesian first
Karratha, Western Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2007

Emailed the Hotel asking for details for after hours entry as the travel agent hadn't done it. The reply was prompt with clear & consise instructions.
And that my friends is the only good thing, apart from leaving, that I have to say about the property.

Once I got the keys out of the safe things went down hill. The car parking was less than adequate. Parks were very narrow and as I drive a large car getting a parking spot that allowed you to exit the vehicle were few and far between. Although there was two car parking buildings neither was any better than the other.

When we exited the lift all we could smell was cigarette smoke, this was supposed to be a non smoking hotel, I guess I was wrong. We entered the room, my goodness not quite what we expected. Our view was a brick wall over looking the carpark driveway, with nice dirty coffee cups, leaking taps, a nice washer/dryer that took forever to do washing, milk that was a week out of date in the fridge.

Our stay was only for 4 nights so we tried to be positive. I went down the next morning to formalise our check in. The young girl had a bit of an attitude, she snatched my travel voucher off me & threw a peice of paper at me and told me to sign it and give it back to her. So I signed it and threw it back at her and told her to have a nice day and left. Customer service was not a prority.

I went back to the room and rounded up the family for a day of shopping, on arrival back we found an ironing board leaning up against the closet door, no note no explaination no nothing!!
No one seemed to know how it got there, just like the van who parked in the the through lane so no one could get in or out of the carpark, nice one mate. Advised the front desk 2 days later it was still there, shows some one cared. Parking was at a premium as it was.

Location is good thats the only other thing.
There other properties around the area that I'm sure woould be a better bet. We are regular travellers to Perth, but would never consider ever staying here again, nor would advise anyone to stay here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank spe18z

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Tokyo
Reviewed September 30, 2007

We had booked this hotel for 4 nights, but once when we enter the hotel room(2 bedroom apartment), we changed our mind to cancel this hotel and move to other beautiful ocean resort accomodation.
Our room was 2nd floor(it means 3rd floor in fact) with full kitchen. The room was large enogh but 1 bed room had no windows at all. It was dark room just like a prison !
Moreover,there were no bathtowls nothing but small towls in a small shower booth.
The livingroom and bathroom,kitchen seemed too old, dark, they need to renovate as soon as possible. We moved to other resort accmodation after we stayed here only 1 night.
We don't know other rooms were clean and bright with nice street view but our room was terrible, indeed!

Attention to who will stay at this hotel; you should check the reception time. When we got to this hotel,the reception was closed yet. It was 5:45pm on Tuesday. Our travel agent did not notice us the reception time. If you'll get there after reception time, they will advice you how to enter the hotel.

• Liked — view,surroundings
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank MsRoomy
USA
Reviewed June 19, 2007

Based on Trip Advisor reviews I recently booked an 8 week stay in the Mont Clare apartments and was very disappointed. Upon check-in my apartment was dirty (strange hairs all over the bathroom floor, junk on the kitchen counters) and both the dishwasher and the washer/dryer didn't work properly. When I asked the front desk for assistance with these problems, they were surly and too busy to be bothered with me. I found this particularly irritating since I had booked in for a long 8 weeks and expected some relief for these problems. I had to take my clothes to the local Laundromat for several weeks. Finally after repeated complaints, my W/D was finally fixed. The noise level in my apartment made sleeping uncomfortable most nights. The housekeeping service was consistently poor. One Friday they took all my towels without putting out replacements so I had to buy towels over the weekend. The front desk has only limited hours each day and over weekends. On Monday when I explained what had happened, the front desk people offered no help (as in fresh towels) or apology. I was so frustrated that I spent my spare time in Perth looking for another place to stay when I return in October. There are definitely many better places at much better prices close in to public transportation and central Perth. Mont Clare not a pleasant experience for me.

• Liked — local grocery store
  • Disliked — Overpriced, ripoff phone charges, unclean, appliances didn't work
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
9 Thank Askypants
Singapore
Reviewed May 25, 2007

My wife and I just stayed there for 2 nights and had arrived at the hotel at 11am with an early flight. Given that I had to go for an interview at the university at 130pm, I requested if I could get a room ready so that I could get changed and freshened up. The receptionist was warm and helpful and although no rooms were available, she asked I try again at 12pm.

At 12, I tried and with no rooms in sight, she offered another room that was just done and meant for the disabled and since there was no one booking that room, offered it to me. I took it and then was told by her that if I found the room not right that I could still change back to the normal rooms.

That was excellent and I think from a location, available parking, that was just great. Too bad there wasn't internet still and as a frequent flyer, that was just something I missed.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank btadrian
Dunedin, NZ
Reviewed May 11, 2007

Stayed in a 2-bedroom apartment for 7 nights. Was a great comfortable size for 5 of us staying there, and reasonably clean/quiet - BUT, on checking into the room, for a No Smoking property, our room was badly smelling of cigarette smoke, on complaint to reception, they didnt offer another room, but did offer to use an oxy machine to clear the air, this made some improvement, but on entering the room each time, we could always still smell smoke. Either we got used to it, or it had gone after 5 days.

Also, we had 5 adults staying, but only had 1.5 rolls loo paper for the week, and 2 small bars of soap, the tea/coffee wasnt replenished nor was the soap or loo paper on the day the apartment was serviced, which was only serviced (towels & sheets changed), a day late after I advised reception it hadnt been done. So I also had to ask for more tea/coffee, soap and loo paper. So be aware housekeeping is a bit slack in providing the amentities for >2 person stay. Maybe bring your own loo paper or check out the details with reception on your arrival.

Otherwise good location, 10 minute walk to town,close to the waca, Perth Mint and Red Cat bus.

Pool is small, but reasonable, and gym pretty basic.

• Liked — Cheap, value for money
  • Disliked — Slack housekeeping, slack on smokers in the property
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank Evos
perth
Reviewed February 28, 2007

A group of 6 of us stayed at the Monte Clare when we were attending the cricket at the WACA (about 800 metres walk from the hotel). The 3 bedroom apartments were very spacious and well appointed. Staff were friendly. What we liked most though was the pool. It was 42 degrees at the cricket so we came back to hotel between innings for a swim. I would highly recommend the Monte Clare for any groups/families holdaying in Perth who want the extra space and self contained amenaties an apartment provides.

Stayed January 2007