“Disappointing”

Ranked #27 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Australia
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with a friend. On arrival at the hotel, the staff were very friendly and efficient and they allowed us to check into our room 2 hours early. I thought this would be the start of a fabulous hotel stay until we checked into our room. We had requested a superior room however it was not at all superior. The rooms were clean and quite large however it was very outdated. The bathroom looked terribly old and the toilet didn't flush properly. The shower was a nightmare to use because the water sprayed everywhere and the shower head could not be moved. It was almost impossible to hop into the shower without flooding the floor. It was probably the worst shower i have ever used. My biggest complaint about the hotel was the privacy of the rooms. The walls were paper thin and we could hear everything that was said in the rooms next door. When someone turned on the TV or went to the toilet or shower we could hear everything! There is also limited car parking near the hotel so you are forced to pay for a hotel car park. Expect to pay $28 per night for car parking. I believe this hotel is over priced and in need of a desperate renovation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank kippers7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

Hotel is good with great service, good facilities and nice restaurant. Though at almost $300 a night it is over priced.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

My first trip to Perth and was staying for 20 nights, mainly carrying out business around St. Georges Terrace, so excellent location. I found it lacking in personality, very little atmosphere, although I think that probably reflected Perth as a city - if you want a party city, Perth aint it... Previous reviewer correct about internet charges - vert expensive - I tried to speak to the manager about it and come to some arrangement, however absolutely no flexibility...ended up buying a vodafone usb - much better.
Room was very acceptable - plenty of room, although I was in the east tower which appeared to be the newer of the 2 towers - the eastern looked a bit worn. Pool was good up top - not too busy and sheltered.
If I returned, knowing what I know now, I'd probably go for somewhere with a bit more atmosphere and more helpful staff.

Tokyo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2010

I come quite often to Perth but the hotel I always stay was booked out for the weekend. So had to stay at this Hotel.

My impression is, way way over priced.
Especially, Internet connection is a disaster. It charges you 27 Aussie dollors but put you constrains after 100MB connection (about 10 minutes of Youtube watch). Why do I have to pay for that if I need to bear constrains to the connection?

Unable to move showerhead which is facing to someone size of a 10 years old.

No vegetable at all at breakfast.

Very small fitness gym with equipment more than assumably 20 yeard old. Gym is only open from 7 AM to 9 PM.

I have no idea why this hotel is ranked with 4stars.
I would never stay here again. I will not recomend anyone to stay.
I want to stay where I get what I pay for.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank daigo01
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

The outside looks 3 stars but the inside is 2 stars. Rooms need to be updated, bathrooms are small and out of date, my shower door didn't close easily. Internet way overpriced at $27 per day for a service that should be free. Big selection at breakfast though and I liked the food, except for the coffee. Good location downtown within close walking distance of the malls and transport. On a quiet street so no issues at night. No security on the door or the hotel at all though. A handy coin operated laundry is available too.

1 Thank Wellstraveller
Sydney, NSW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

This is my third time in Perth for business and the other two times I have stayed at the Novotel. It was booked out this time so I stayed at the Mecure instead. While the Mecure is a better location and closer to the malls, cafes and restaurants, the rooms are pretty basic, with small queen beds and tiny TVs, and the bathrooms are about 2 decades too old - mine had a shower with no bath and the shower head was positioned for someone under 5'5 (which I'm not!). I was also uncomfortable with the doors having no security bar/chain locks inside the room and the lifts have no security swipe either which made the hotel feel pretty open to someone just strolling in.

Aside from the rooms themselves I found the service side lacking, the front desk guys were good and check in was easy, however I had to ask twice for the bottles of water to be re-stocked in the mini bar and the toilet paper in the bathroom was not replaced when it had clearly run out. Breakfast was also really average (uncooked bacon, soggy eggs and yesterday's pancakes). These simple errors have really let down the stay for me and I'm not really sure how it can be classed a four star hotel?

2 Thank mrs_Syd
KL, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

My wife, baby daughter and I stayed for 5 days in December 2009. Overall our experience of this hotel was very good. We arrived in the early morning and were granted an early check-in. The room was spacious, quiet and spotlessly clean, and included a water boiler and facilities for coffee and tea.
The hotel is a short walk from the CBD pedestrian area and the CAT lines.
The only downside is the price of the stay. Fortunately we used a special offer, otherwise the impact on the wallet would be quite high. By the way, I was presented with a wrong bill (no offer in it) but the staff did a great job in fighting with the computer and correcting it. Thanks!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family