“A bit tired, but comfortable.”
Review of Mercure Perth

Mercure Perth
Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Adelaide
“A bit tired, but comfortable.”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were in Perth for a conference and as a jumping-off point for a SE Asia trip. Conference was at the Mercure, so that's where we stayed. First impressions were that it was a bit dated, but clean and adequate. We were advised that we had been upgraded. Other conference delegates remarked that our room was better then theirs, so i guess we actually were upgraded. One delegate was lucky enough to get a still better room with capsule coffee maker and other mod cons. Pity she wasn't a coffee drinker, but it did make me a little envious.

The Mercure is ideally located on the corner of Irwin and Hay streets, just a couple of hundred metres or so from the Hay St mall, so it's close to shopping and the pedestrian precinct. The Red Cat free bus service runs past the hotel, with a stop close by. Perth suburban train station is an easy walk away.

The hotel itself is a little tired and dated, but still refined. It has aged gracefully. The staff were absolutely magnificent. Nothing was too much trouble: even down to finding a local doctor to issue prescriptions for a couple of items that somehow missed our suitcases, and excellent recommendations for meals. Room was very comfortable, but the over-the-bath shower was missing one glass door, making it a delicate operation to avoid flooding the bathroom.

Breakfast let them down badly. I've never been a great fan of bain-marie style food gently stewing away all morning, and this one was no better than most. Their coffee however was wonderful.

We spent four nights here, and you left feeling that while it was adequate and comfortable enough, it certainly wasn't outstanding: except for those staff.

Room Tip: Rooms off Hay St are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Mercure reception staff kindly gave us an upgrade, apparently this means a pod style coffee machine, evian water and chocolates. The room was big enough, bathroom was OK except that one panel on the shower door was missing (and I've now read another trip advisor review which also mentions a missing panel - I did mention it on checkout but am now wondering if it's done on purpose? Perhaps Mercure could advise, but I've never struck this before). Anyhow, apart from this no real complaints, the bed was good and the 12th floor seems to be OK for noise. Location is close to the Concert Hall and the hospital, and only a few minutes from the malls. The hotel charges $35 per day for vehicles to be parked in their basement, so you have to factor this cost in. The food choices in the restaurant were a bit limited, and whilst the sign at the restaurant says "open till late", if you arrive at 9.20 pm (even on a Friday night) don't expect a warm welcome from the wait staff, so my recommendation would be to eat somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were a family of 3 who booked a suite for 2 nights. The rooms had a lot of amenities (bathrobe, slippers, expresso machine, hot choc sachets, etc) but quite frankly, i would rather they get the basics right and leave these amenities out.
The shower cubicle had a 3-panel glass door with 1 panel missing. Needless to say, the outside area got wet. One had to be conscious the whole time during the shower to ensure it didn't get too wet which meant I didn't get a satisfying shower as I had to be alert. The track for these panels was also badly corroded.
The kingsized mattress sagged quite badly and we didn't get a comforter cover. The bare comforter was simply sandwiched between 2 flat sheets. By morning, the sheets and comforter were all over the place.
I reported the missing shower panel to the reception after the 1st night. I didn't expect instant rectification but I did at the very least expect an apology or an explanatory note of sorts. We got nothing. No call, no message, nothing. There probably was a good reason why they didn't replace the panel (could be waiting for delivery or something) but I wouldn't have expected the hotel to sell the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Crew80
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stay at this hotel regularly for work. Unfortunately i don't have the option of changing hotels, and am left with no option but to stay here.

When walking in to the reception area you would expect to be greeted warmly by the check in staff. Dont expect that here.

Walking down the hallway to the guest rooms I feel like I'm in a cheap youth hostel with the horrid yellow doors and grey carpets.
The actual rooms are like any Mercure, basic. I do not walk around in bare feet in my room they just has a grotty feel.
Bathrooms have been updated and are ok. But are the smallest hotel bathrooms i have ever seen, you cannot even turn around if you don't shut the door. This leads to my next gripe, with the door shut the smell from the toilet or water becomes apparent. And is not the least bit pleasant. Shower heads in 8/10 rooms are appalling and they spray water everywhere except you.

My main issue with the guest rooms is the air conditioning. I have reported this many times before and same thing each time. I have come across a small amount of rooms where the air con works well. I have been told by an employee that the temperature cannot be controlled in the rooms. It can be made warmer not cooler. But I don't know how true this is because some rooms I have been able to lower the temperature.

Breakfast staff are lovely, but the quality of the breakfast is very low.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Irwin street will hear church bells every hour during the day. Avoid if you are a day s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank amylou540
MercurePerth, General Manager at Mercure Perth, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback with regards to your stay with us, I’m so sorry that you have had a few issues during your stays, and I do hope you mentioned some of your problems to our Front of House staff who would have been more than happy to assist to make your stay a more enjoyable one. With regards to the air con, thank you for letting our staff know about the temperature issues you experienced, we can alter the temperature slightly, however, if you needed a fan or a heater, again we are more than happy to assist. On your next visit please speak with our staff, and let them know that you have had previous problems and we can make a note on your profile to ensure you are made as comfortable as possible. Thank you again for letting us know about your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.