“Hit or miss!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Hit or miss!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

This was the second time I stayed at the Travelodge, with my first visit being in August 2007. In the first visit I found it to be a no frills yet comfortable enough place to stay. They have a nicely refurbished business area and gym, but the rooms themselves are a bit old school.

This time my stay was more ridden with trouble. My first room faced away from Hay St, and due to a problem with the air conditioning there was a constant, high pitched noise carving through the room-- after 20 minutes I knew I couldn't stay and asked to be moved! I was told there was nothing available until the next day.

I later asked a different front counter attendant who moved me to a different room- but where the noise still came through! I finally went down and offered to pay more to be 'upgraded' to a deluxe room at the front, and they did move me into a room facing away from the noise (at no extra cost).

Once I was away from the noise, the room was fine- it faced Hay St which does have a bit of noisy traffic and activity from the restaurant below, but it was great to have a balcony, and the blockout curtains worked wonders for the light and the noise!

Once I was moved the room was satisfactory, but given all of the trouble, I would stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank BostonianAU

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
tex31
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2007

Do not stay here if you have a car. They do not have their own parking and you pay through the nose to constantly use the council parking. The overall presentation of the hotel is quite nice and the location is convient. However, the service needs to be improved as I called the counter twice for extra pillows and face cloths and they still did not arrive. I ended up going to the cleaner directly (who was very nice and helpful). Overall clean and convient but if you have a car add an extra $20 a day to you overall cost, who knows for the extra you may get a even nicer place with the parking included

• Liked — clean room
  • Disliked — counter staff and parking
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2007

We were trying to keep the budget down on this trip, so we booked the Travelodge when I found a pretty good price on one of the online travel sites. I knew it wouldn’t be top of the line, but I wasn’t expecting it to be quite so much like a road-side motel. We actually had multiple reservations, because we toured outside Perth for a few days then came back. Our first room had a lovely view of the air conditioning condenser units right outside the window, so we kept the curtains closed. There was no real decorating theme at all, just a hodge-podge of lighting and furnishing styles. Unsightly damage to the laminate countertop around the sink had just been slathered with caulk rather than replaced, and the air conditioner was too noisy to sleep with, so it got rather stuffy at night. Our second room they upgraded to an upper floor that was normally $20 more. This one was a little better furnished and had a balcony with view to the front, but overall, for this level of quality in the U.S. we pay half the price.

We didn’t have a car for the first part of the week, and on the map the location looked like it would be more convenient than it really was. One of the free CAT buses stops right in front of the hotel which is great during the day, but it stops running at 6:00, so when going out in the evening you either have to drive or walk some distance. Except for the hotel’s restaurant itself, there is no place nearby open for dinner (there are a couple of places near that are open for breakfast). There are a few restaurants within about four blocks, but the Northbridge district, which has the best selection of restaurants, is about a 20 minute walk. We were going to eat in the hotel restaurant one night when we got in late, but it closes at 9:30 and we just missed it. There are only three dishes available for room service after hours, none of which appealed to us, so we didn’t eat dinner that night.

When we did get a car, we found that the hotel doesn’t have it’s own parking facility – you have to find a place on the street (which is free overnight but $2 an hour during business hours.) I think the fee for Internet connection was about $20 for 24 hours, or an unbelievable rip-off of $11.95 for 1 hour.

The best thing about this place was the staff, who were very friendly. In hindsight, we wished we would have just spent the extra money for higher-quality accommodation and a better experience.

• Liked — friendly staff, easy check-in
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank kelcomel
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2007

I stayed here on a busness trip on 19 and 20 November. My first room was on 2nd floor with a balcony ovelooking Hay street and was rather dark, and noisy . The bed and some of the furnishings seemed new but the bathroom, wardrobe, and furniture appeared quite old and the carpet was marked. I asked to be moved and the next night I had a room at the rear on 8th floor which was much lighter and more spacious but stil a mixture of new and old furniture. The staff were quite pleasant about the change. The restaurant was OK, and the newish gym well equipped but no pool. Reasonable value given Perth prices, but I won't rush back.

• Liked — Reasonable price
  • Disliked — older furniture in rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank KatherineG
South Pole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed here for just one night and thought it was pretty good. The reception people were quite friendly and let us keep our bags in the locker room for a whole day while we waited for our flight.

The hotel is in a pretty good location and is a short walk to all the city things. Our room itself was quite nice - big comfortable bed, the bathroom was pretty clean, a safe in the wardrobe and a TV with satellite channels.

The best thing about this place was its complimentary breakfast - the best we had the entire time we were overseas! It was as good as a paid breakfast somewhere.

Would most likely consider staying here again when we go back to Perth!

• Liked — Convenient location, really good breakfast, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing really... was only there for 1 night!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family