“Confused” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Western Australian Museum - Perth

Western Australian Museum - Perth
Ranked #35 of 182 things to do in Perth
More attraction details
Owner description: The main attraction is the museum's extensive collection of Aboriginal artifacts, but yes, there's a dinosaur gallery for the kids, too. *The Perth site will temporarily close from June 2016 to re-open in 2020.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Confused”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I drove to this museum and could I find it? Only after having asked 6 people, 4 of whom didn't know where it was either, yet it was so close. No signage really doesn't help until you know what you are looking for. It may be easier on foot if you are coming from the other direction, but a few signs on the roads, particularly on Museum Street or James Street would be very helpful especially as the building is way back from the road. Nothing helpful on the web site to give any pointers either.

I was with my mother who although relatively fit doesn't do stairs well. We were told to use the lift on the older side of the building. This took us to what looked to be an old library with display cabinets on one side. There was some very interesting stuff there in WA land and people but the layout and design were poor and didn't do them justice. You couldn't hear the programme that was running and yet was very informative. By chance someone told us there was more on the other side of the building and we stumbled across the geology section and the very good insight on what happened with the Aborigines. I see there are great plans for this place - there is so much potential and I look forward to revisiting when their plans are realised.

Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
singapore
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“a very neglected museum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

its free but exhibits are limited though educational. feel that it lacks a theme and could do with more and better design and experience

Visited December 2013
1 Thank jachelletraveler
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Informative and child friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I was wandering around Perth soaking up the slightly different culture than I was used to in South Africa, and decided to pop in to the museum....It is open, airy, light and well set out, with exhibit halls radiating out from from the large entrance atrium. I strolled around, accompanied by the happy sound of children learning as they explored (it was a week day), when I found an older hall (it looked like an old library with upstairs terraces which probably held many books in the past. These were closed to public, but might in future be wonderful further exhibit spaces to titillate the knowledge hungry?), bare apart from interesting wall exhibits telling the story of the history of the region. I left with a better background of Perth, WA and the collonial days in Aus. I do want to know a lot more about the Aboriginal history though, which is dealt with a bit superficially.

Visited November 2013
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

So of the parts was closed when we get there, is good to spend half of day with free entry, a lot of things to see

Visited January 2013
Sydney, Australia
1,375 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,274 helpful votes
“Ripper of an establishment.....awoke my enjoyment of indigenous art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

This museum came to life as a by-product of an idea to bring punters into the then combined library,museum of natural sciences and art gallery. The building is an interesting harvest of many different styles from Byzantine to Victorian.
It houses the the fascinating Mammal gallery,still encased in their cedar and glass cases from 1903,with other galleries radiating towards the bird,butterfly and marine sections. my favourite ,is the Diamonds to Dinosaurs gallery,where a timeline takes you on a journey from the origins of the universe to the evolution of life on earth. Excellently displayed,with some of the fossils having an uncanny resemblance to people i went to school with.
This is a very contemporary look at Western Australia from its ancient geological beginnings to Aboriginal life,European invasion and the ways in which the land has been both shaped and been shaped by its residents.
I think my fondest enjoyment and education was in the Aboriginal gallery,called Katta Djinoong,meaning 'see us and understand us',which goes a long way towards its aim. the exhibit examines past and present West Australia's different indigenous groups,with focus on issues like 'the stolen generation'.It opened my eyes,like never before.
Displays on European history in the Old Gaol, seemed muted in comparison,but rewarding nevertheless. Kids and minders will love the Megamouth shark display. I was floored by the originality of gifts and souvenirs on display at the Museum Shop

Visited October 2013