“Informative and child friendly”

Western Australian Museum - Perth
Ranked #36 of 178 things to do in Perth
More attraction details
Owner description: The main attraction is the museum's extensive collection of Aboriginal artifacts, but yes, there's a dinosaur gallery for the kids, too. *The Perth site will temporarily close from June 2016 to re-open in 2020.
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I was wandering around Perth soaking up the slightly different culture than I was used to in South Africa, and decided to pop in to the museum....It is open, airy, light and well set out, with exhibit halls radiating out from from the large entrance atrium. I strolled around, accompanied by the happy sound of children learning as they explored (it was a week day), when I found an older hall (it looked like an old library with upstairs terraces which probably held many books in the past. These were closed to public, but might in future be wonderful further exhibit spaces to titillate the knowledge hungry?), bare apart from interesting wall exhibits telling the story of the history of the region. I left with a better background of Perth, WA and the collonial days in Aus. I do want to know a lot more about the Aboriginal history though, which is dealt with a bit superficially.

All reviews
"northbridge"
"gold"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed November 27, 2013

So of the parts was closed when we get there, is good to spend half of day with free entry, a lot of things to see

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This museum came to life as a by-product of an idea to bring punters into the then combined library,museum of natural sciences and art gallery. The building is an interesting harvest of many different styles from Byzantine to Victorian.
It houses the the fascinating Mammal gallery,still encased in their cedar and glass cases from 1903,with other galleries radiating towards the bird,butterfly and marine sections. my favourite ,is the Diamonds to Dinosaurs gallery,where a timeline takes you on a journey from the origins of the universe to the evolution of life on earth. Excellently displayed,with some of the fossils having an uncanny resemblance to people i went to school with.
This is a very contemporary look at Western Australia from its ancient geological beginnings to Aboriginal life,European invasion and the ways in which the land has been both shaped and been shaped by its residents.
I think my fondest enjoyment and education was in the Aboriginal gallery,called Katta Djinoong,meaning 'see us and understand us',which goes a long way towards its aim. the exhibit examines past and present West Australia's different indigenous groups,with focus on issues like 'the stolen generation'.It opened my eyes,like never before.
Displays on European history in the Old Gaol, seemed muted in comparison,but rewarding nevertheless. Kids and minders will love the Megamouth shark display. I was floored by the originality of gifts and souvenirs on display at the Museum Shop

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We originally went for the Secrets of the Afterlife exhibit which did not disappoint. We ended up spending the entire afternoon at the museum and while we enjoyed it and were pleased with the collections...it seemed lacking in some ways.
I would still recommend this for families and for those visiting. It is free and the entire cultural district is fun to be in.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 18, 2013

As a newcomer to Perth I made this one of my first places to see as history is my secret passion. OK I know Perth is a new city but that should mean that the history is more accessible..or so you might have thought. The majority of the place seems to be given over to a childrens play area and Dinosaurs. The "history" of WA is in a large old hall which is a magnificent setting that seems to have been laid out with someone who had had an imagination bypass, the exhibits are "carefully" arranged around the walls with the centre left void. There is little to no narrative or depth to the exhibits. It would be fascinating to know how the area and state developed but this doesn't really do that. I really do hope that this is just carelessness and not a result of political correctness.
To be honest in its current state I'd give it a miss

1  Thank Kevin A