“In need of an update”

Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne
“In need of an update”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

After a week in Joondalup and returning to Perth City we booked at the Mantra for 3 nights. What a dissapointment!. The 2 bedroom apartments was spacious but very tired and dull. Everywhere that you looked was dirty. The pillowcase on the bed had a stain on it. We sat it where the stain was visible hoping that the staff would change the next day but no was still there when we left. I went to make a coffee but couldnt work out if the stainless steel kettle was rusty or had food splashed all over it. It was food as it was up the wall behind the kettle on further inspection also. However it was replaced promptly with a phone call. The lounges were stained and also the dining chairs.

We did have a drink in the bar on a couple of afternoons which was very enjoyable being able to sit outside and take in the great weather. We had room service one night but asked to have one of the meals less a couple of things however it still came up with the thing that we were allergic to. Room service was prompt and the other meals were great. There is also the "Blue Rock Cafe" across the road which has a great atmosphere and food.

On arrival I noticed that I had booked one night short and asked if I could extend my stay by one night at the same rate. Although very helpful the staff couldnt give me an answer. I checked for the next 2 days and finally got an answer that it would be $20 dearer than what I had booked on Wotif? A little strange as there didnt appear to be a lot of people around. So imagine my unhappiness when after settling the account I realised that they had charged me $55 more for the last night. It thern took nearly 10 minutes to arrange the refund. Lesson learned always check account before handing over payment.

Pool and fitness area looked very clean and in great condition.

Staff very welcoming and a great asset. Would be a great place to stay if the apartments were refurbished as they have great space.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cjb008
Hi cjb008

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported from housekeeping and our Executive Housekeeper will certainly address this with her staff. This is not up to our usual standard and I apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay.

I will also liaise with the Restaurant Manager and Executive Chef regarding the breakdown in communication from our end relating to the instructions given by you for such an important request.

Again my apologies to you and hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a very worn place , whie it's not unpleasant it just laks anything.........

It's not a quick or easy walk to the CBD or a restuarnt other then the in house one) although it is very close to the WACA grounds.

I had a two bedroom apartment that lacked any 'warmth' or character. The air-con was loud to the point that we turned it off and put up with the street noise. There were pictures missing from the walls and kitchen items were in the cupboard but dirty.

The bathroom, like the rest of the room, is in need of an up-date. It wasn't dirty , just old.

The staff were nice but not what I'd consider friendly. Room service was very slow in delivering. I also asked for extra items which never appeared - even after 2 additional phone requests.

The worst thing about our stay was the room services dishes - the first ones we had left on the kitchen bench only to find them in the exact same spot when we returned to the room 12 hours later. The second lot we placed out side the door, called room service to let them now - these dishes were not only still there in the morning when Ieft for a meeting but still when I returned 6 hours later! I called an asked for them to be collected and the attidue was - ok we'll get to it but we are busy................

This is an ok place to stay when you just need a room

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi Marika V

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported from our food & beverage department and our Restaurant Manager will certainly address this with her staff. This is not up to our usual standard and I apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay.

We are also progressing through our refurbishment plans which will enhance the overall experience.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here for several days while in Perth in 2 bedroom Appartment. Big space but a little tired in the decoration in places. staff at front desk were extremely helpfull and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. Small pool and gym were well kept and clean witha good supply of clean towels. A little way out of town but on the red CAT free bus service if you don't feel like walking

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Clarky57

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Paid $22 for parking, seems this is not guaranteed and had to find street parking. On a Saturday night. Pathetic.

Otherwise rooms were clean but a little dated, fitness and pool very basic and no sun.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Isaac2456
Hi Isaac2456

Thank you for providing feedback of your stay with us.

I understand you frustrations regarding the carparking, as mentioned in previous postings regarding this matter we do have limited spaces available and at times. In the event that guests do have to find alternative parking we do not charge for this.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We came to Perth from U.K. Our company provided us a stay with them for 1 month. We were in a 2 bed service apartment Stay seemed to be reasonably ok. Not anything near the the standard they mentioned. We never complained about the cleaners not doing a perfect job. sometimes when the clearnes were busy , had let the, go without cleaning the room. Never made fuss about so many things missing or not up to the basic standards. When we checked out after a month they told us everything was fine and we don't owe them any bills( we did not use their mini bars or extra paid services). Recently , came to know that they have back charged our credit card ,which we provided them , with $200 . Called them and asked. This is what they said," the cleaners took extra time to clean the room so the credit card was charged" . I was so furious. Could not believe what they were saying. I had asked the reception before leaving if they have to check anything in the room to which they said no. I know the only thing not done that day was the bed and the bath. The rest was all routine stuff. They chaged us on international card and did not even inform us.!!!. Never had this kind of experience before in numerous hotel stays internationally. Don't know who to complain to. Big time lesson learnt. Never be polite and ask for the rights all the time. Always ask them to give a clear check out receipt and that we don't owe anything.
Not to mention , most of the reception staff. Was the most hostile staff. I have ever met in hotel industry. They could not even book a taxi or give proper information about it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MANSI3313
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here with my friends for a few days - Price is average although Perth is quite an expensive city ! Location is great - walking distance to shopping mall / centre and heaps of cafes, restaurants and night life !! I would say this is an average hotel it was good, comfortable but not luxury or 5 stars - I would stay here again as its a good location !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Aussies68

Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Perth is a ridiculously expensive place to stay when you have kids and some of the places I have stayed in the past are pretty shocking for the prices charged. The Mantra on Hay was a pleasant surprise really for the price we paid, I think it may have been discounted slightly. We stayed in a 2 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom apartment and found it to be clean and comfortable. The beds were good and there was plenty of pillows to choose from. The rooms had a double/queen in each so the kids had to share a bed but this didn't worry us or them. A few more basics in the kitchen would have been nice like some type of chopping board and a good knife but overall it was fairly adequate. Also like many Perth hotels you have to pay for parking. The cost of this was moderate compared to other properties but it was self-parking after all. I am more than happy to park my own car but do think the cost could be a bit less as other properties near by only charge slightly more for valet parking. We didn't get a chance to swim in the pool as it is quite small and there was a group of men that seemed to have taken over the pool area and the fitness equipment next to it. I probably wouldn't bother considering a swim at this pool again unless it was empty as the area doesn't really allow for that many people. Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family