“Old damp”

Ranked #26 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Perth, Australia
“Old damp”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Well we stayed here in 2004 and it was quite good . The apartment had 2 bedrooms - very clean and tidy. Fast forward to July 2012 and wow what a difference. The lobby is the same which is tidy. But the first room was 100% damp- god knows what they did to it. The second room smelt like an ashtray so onto the thirdroom which smelt good but the furniture aged, the bathroom tiles lose, rusty soap container and the exhaust fan sounded like it was coming lose. The room was not good. Given this was our 3rd room I couldn't muster the courage to talk to reception. I would suggest people check the room first before moving in and if you get one of the old ones ask for something upgraded if they have any. Otherwise shop around.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank matakanaisland
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hi matakanaisland,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported in terms of the room standards. I have liaised with my Executive Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager who will certainly address the points raised.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Sydney
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Like most properties in Perth these days they are getting away with extortionate prices here.
I had just arrived from Melbourne where I stayed the night prior in a similar apartment on Collins St, for around HALF THE PRICE!
Whilst the mining boom is allowing this sort of daylight robbery it will not last forever and that will be the day of reckoning.
Note to all Perth properties - if you wish to charge sky high rates - try to match it with your product and service.
For about 50% of what I paid, I would have given this place a glowing review

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MickeyTraveller
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Hi MickeyTraveller

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Mantra on Hay in Perth.

With regards to rates these do fluctuate depending on the day of week and also seasonally as does Melbourne during peak times such as the Australian Open.

Had the price been right it would have been great to hear of your experience at the hotel and of the friendly and professional manner of the staff.

Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were recommended by the Western Australia Travel Bureau this hotel.
The hotel was good, but we found the meals in the restaurant expensive, and breakfast was not good at all fruit under ripe and only cold milk for my cereal.
Car parking was a huge issue we had to park our car far from the hotel, even though it was secure parking and the hotel told us $5,00 flat rate, and when we got to the car park only to be told it was not and we had to pay $22 per night which was expensive for 2 nights.
Room was ok but they do not change the towels in the bathroom excepting if one asks.
There was no bus from the hotel back out to the airport on our final night, so we had to approach another hotel and ask if we could get a lift which was very inconvenient.
The hotel was also in a seedy part of the city and we felt not safe at night to walk around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hi owl888

Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback of your experience with us here at Mantra on Hay.

We aim to offer the natural breakfast items as fresh as possible, i will liaise with the Chef to ensure the quality of offerings are also "ripe". Yes we only have cold milk on offer as we do not want this to spoil. we are more than willing to heat milk for guests it that is their personal preference.

Yes parking can be frustrating with the limited number of bays we have, and my apologies to you for being mis-informed of the parking rates that apply.

We do not have a hotel shuttle/bus however there is a public shuttle (Perth Connect Bus) that runs to the airport with the last run at 9:55pm.

Our hotel is located in a business area however is location to the Swan River, Perth Mint, WACA and Burswood complex make it an ideal location.

Again thank you for your feedback it is appreciated.

adelaide, australia
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We used this for airport accommodation, about 20 minutes from International (at 2am in the morning) and the same to domestic (on a Sunday). The reason that we give this an average rating is that it is average. Nothing wrong, but nothing stand out either. We had the two bedroom, two bathroom apartment. For what you get, it is expensive by our standards, but probably not for Perth. Basic, a little dated, quite clean, lots of noise in the apartment but not so bad between rooms.

We do want to note that the two female reception staff on checkout were really very good.

For the management - how about a vending machine downstairs?? I went across the road to the Comfort Inn, who were very helpful and let me in to get a few things. The whole 'organic' expensive mini-bar things just don't work for the feel of your venue, basic is better in this. Also, may want to look at the glass shelf inside your showers, my 6'4" husband found himself a little nervous about injury.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cassandnigel
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Hi cassandnigel

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

We are an older property at just over 15 years old and we are currently working through logistics of a soft refurbishment to enhance the properties overall appearance.

Regarding the vending machine we have looked at this option however felt that having 2 supermarkets in very close proximity with 1 open till midnight and the other 24hrs decided against this.

You have also made mention regarding the glass shelf in the shower, may I ask you to contact me via simon.ruri@mantra.com.au to elaborate on specifics of why your husband was nervous about injury. I do have a duty of care for visiting guests and want to ensure that we are safe at all times.

Perth
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed for 3 weeks as part of a company relocation. Rooms nice and clean, equiped with all that you need. Room cleaned twice per week...and occassionally an extra time. Very satisfied.

However, parking is an issue. This was a daily stress for me .... With a brand new car. Spots were quiet tight plus a few cars double parking. Raised with staff but response was just they will be charged for two.

Sat night was issues with actually getting a spot. But staff did tell me i could park in the managers car space on the weekend.....which was the best spot in the car park of course!!

Neil

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi Neil

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback regaing your stay with us here at Mantra on Hay.

You are correct in saying that it is exrtemely frustrating when trying to get a car parking space in our hotel given that we have 65 bays and 153 apartments. The smaller size of the bays and the addition of inconsideration by others in taking up 2 bays, this is an area we are looking at in terms of smarter ways to manage this issue.

My apologies to you for the inconveniences caused.

Again many thanks for your feedback.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

just finished three weeks here as part of a relocation for my firm. The hotel is barely average. I'm not a high maintenance guy but I do expect some basics. I don't think my shower was cleaned once in three weeks, finger marks on the mirror were there from the first day I arrived, never wiped down, garbage bins not always emptied. Staff on the front desk was hit or miss, some great people others just filling in time. One lady kept grizzling every time i had my room key demagnetized (maybe 5-6 times in three weeks) saying "again? i told you don't put your card near your mobile phone." Yeah like I really want to have to come back down and ask you...The TV didn't always work in the room, sometimes all i got was a blank screen, other times if I turned the TV off and on I would get the picture to come on. I never complained about it but it was annoying. The hotel is about 2.5km from the city. During the day there's a free city bus that take you in to the city, there's one every ten minutes or so. Ask at reception where the bus stop is. The hotel is located in a rather seedy part of town, a few pretty rank bars nearby, some small grocers and a few restaurants, though none worth a mention. Best bar nearby is Hula Bula. A funky Polynesian place on Victoria ave, 15 mins walk. The bar hotel is also pretty good but closes early. The hotel seems to cater for a range of clientele; families (they have self contained apts with multiple bedrooms and kitchen), businessmen (god knows why, the internet didn't work for about a week and the gym is hardly worth a mention, though it has a nice small pool on the roof) and contractors on business in the city. It's mostly quiet at the hotel, though there was a drunk guy who attempted to get in to my room one night, thinking it was his and there's a bit of noise from the water pipes everytime someone flushes a toilet. Overall it was barely OK and if the price is right, it's an OK place to stay, just don't expect more than the basics. If I had picked it, I would have stayed somewhere else for the money paid.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank intorox61
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported from housekeeping and reception staff . Our Executive Housekeeper and Front Office Manager will certainly address this with their staff. This is not up to our usual standard and I apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay.

Regarding the t.v. problems you encountered we do have a maintenance team located in the property who are more than willing to rectify any issues when a guest notifies accordingly.

In terms of distance from the city we are 1.2 kms or a leisurely 14min walk. We are ideally located 750m from the WACA cricket ground, 3.4kms from the Burswood Entertainment Complex and only 450m from the picturesque Swan River.

Once again my apologies for your less than ideal stay with us.

Sydney
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed for 2 weeks in May and was there for two nights earlier this week. *** Recognizing a return guest would be good which didn't happen. Checked in by a lady May be in her 40s, didn't response any thing when mentioned that I had stayed before. Obviously when you go to a hotel second time you would expect staff to be more friendly. Other staffs were good and helpful.
Parking space in the basement was too conjusted...was hard to open door when parked between two cars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nepalichoro

It disappoints me to learn that you encountered an instance of indifference in terms of attitude from a member within our team and sincerely apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay. The issue you raised has been addressed with the Front Office Manager to action accordingly.