“Smelly hallway, no parking no clean up, expensive wifi.”
Review of Mantra on Hay

Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed August 26, 2012

While the staff are friendly, we had other issues. Our room was not cleaned despite hanging out the clean my room sign. The cleaner came at 6pm when we were having a rest. The hallway smelt like fish sauce all the time. I guess this was because people were cooking there. They have a small car park and it was full when we arrived. We were able to use it the second night.
The cost of the wifi was ridiculous. They had a third party supplier who charged $25 per day.
Breakfast was good and the staff were good. All in all it was a nice enough place.

• Stayed: August 2012
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear ianrhocking

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. As we are predominantly apartments we do on occasions have the wafting scent of others cooking.

With regards to your room not being serviced please accept my apologies relating to this matter. I will follow this up with the Executive Housekeeper as our housekeeping staff are signed off by 4:30pm on saturdays and sundays and I have a concern that we have staff cleaning at 6pm.

On a positive note I am glad to hear that you were pleased with breakfast and the attitude of the staff members.

There are newer reviews for Mantra on Hay

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have stayed here several times with work whilst in Perth and have enjoyed the experience on all occasions, a short walk to the city centre, it's conveniently located close to the wacca as well.

Rooms have been clean, well aired and well presented, beds have also been of a good quality and linen has been fresh and of a high standard.

Very happy with my stays here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Dear 865Jacq1972865,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. It pleases me to hear that we are getting this right each time you visit us.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed both in the two bathroom apartment and the one bathroom apartment, i definitely prefer the two bathroom apartment since it was on higher level and you could not hear the noise from the streets so much and you have a balcony too! Both are a good size, you get a laundry with washing machine, dryer, and iron & ironing board, the kitchen is good too with fridge, kettle, stove and some teas and coffees. Generally the apartment is relatively clean, you are close to supermarket which i think is open until very late and you can get all the things you need there i.e. water, shower gel... Also you are not far from the city center. The staff are friendly, and welcoming, although there is no one to carry your luggage so be prepared to carry them yourself to your room! Also they do have a payable car park if you decide to rent a car, and there are two car rental companies really near too. There is a bottle shop across the street, and a very good Chinese restaurant close too! Don't expect anything high class but just a good stay and easy one i think, with no hassle! They also have a good restaurant downstairs for breakfast, lunch and dinner, i did not get a chance to use pool or gym so i cannot comment on them.

Room Tip: Higher floors definitely have less noise!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sherna123

Dear sherna123

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was booked in a two bedroom apartment during one of perths common peak booking weeks. This would be an ideal apartment for a family or two people travelling together who want privacy but to save some money. However due to the rather unique perth hotel demands most people there were in construction, perhaps different in summer. Each apartment has its own toilet/shower or bath. The kitchen was of a good size with a full size fridge. Unfortunately the settee was very stained which is never a nice feeling. Bed however was perfectly comfortable. Really strange that they provided shampoo and conditioner but no bath gel. Just a square of hard edge soap. Miserable.
There is secure parking although in that area there is plenty of free on street parking from 6pm to 8am. Big plus was they had a restaurant/ breakfast area which many serviced apartments do not. The breakfast was good value with a reasonable buffet selection but excellent al la carte.
About 10 to 15 minutes walk into the centre of town but the free bu passes right outside. Only 5 minutes walk to the river front.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear scotaussie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with us here at Mantra on Hay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

We do take pride of the fact that we are able to cater to ALL guests be it indiduals, couples or families.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My company put my wife and I up here for nearly a month when we first arrived in Perth. Dark rooms, some expensive headphones going missing, very noisy (especially at weekends) and a key that didn't work (despite me complaining on at least 5 occasions) all contribute to a pretty shabby experience. The value for money is also poor. My advice - find a B&B out of town unless you're desperate and only staying one night.

The "gym" is pretty sparse (most of the machines were broken the month we were there) but the view from the roof top pool isn't bad.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the Bayswater car rental car park. Go for a room higher up and you may avo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
SimonRuri201, Front Office Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear MikeyG

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay although I apologise we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Our gym equipment is provided by a third party who are also responsible for replacement and maintenance of the equipment. I am disappointed to learn that certain equipment may have been out of service for any extended period of time. In light of your comments we have introduced procedures to ensure that the gym equipment is kept in good working order at all times and that any problems with the machines can be rectified immediately.

Once again my apologies for your less than ideal stay with us.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

More like 3 star Hotel. Pool is small and noisy, as is the gym which sits right next to pool, not really a gym. Small tv in lounge only not in bedrooms. Must ask for bath which is under shower anyway, Too pricey and too far out of the city to walk with children, Parking is an extra $22 per night.

Room Tip: must ask for bath otherwise only shower.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
SimonRuri201, Front Office Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Hi GinettaP,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the hotel's facilities.

The swimming pool is approximately 15m in length which I'm afraid is the largest pool that can be accommodated in the rooftop are. It is correct that our fitness equipment is situated beside the pool and not in a separate gynasium, however, should guests require a more extensive range of fitness equipment during their stay, we are always happy to recommend health clubs close by that offer day membership.

Mantra on Hay offers a range of hotel rooms and apartments, some of which have a bath tub with overhead shower and some with a walk in shower only. Although we are unable to guarantee a room with a bath tub in advance, we certainly will do our best to accommodate requests where possible. We would advise guests to speak with our friendly reservations team who are always delighted to assist guests in choosing the most suitable style of room or apartment based on their individual requirements.

Again, I apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay and thank you for taking time to provide this feedback.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Was staying 4 nights, while on business, location is good, close to where I had to go.
Room was pretty small, with "view" on inner yard, it wasn't important, since I was mainly sleeping. Hotel does looks old, like it was mentioned in many reviews.
Sleeping - Mattresses were too soft, so I was waking up with whole body aching. It was cold in room too. As for hot water in the morning, it was a nightmare - I had to wait 5-10 minutes till water finally came...
Parking was Ok, but quite narrow and $22 per night seems a bit overpriced, well, like everything in WA... Internet - there is paid WiFi - VERY EXPENSIVE, but I used mobile tethering anyway, so it didn't matter.
Food - I had breakfasts and dinners in hotel. Food is tasty, portions are a bit small, but well I was able to keep my weight;) Service, however is slow, slow, slow. and if you ordering steak, order medium rare - otherwise you:ll get "well done".
About value - it's certainly not cheap, but that's WA to you... Hotel took "deposit" of $1600 the day I checked in - very bad and insulting practice, which actually was one of last straws. So I will look for different hotel next time I come to Perth! And I certainly will not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Madmik_Il

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am certainly disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay at the hotel.

I can assure you that the issues you have highlighted in regards to maintenance of the rooms have been addressed with the relevant department managers. Air conditioning / heating units are individually controlled and heaters are not turned on prior to arrival out of concern for the environment. Of course, if a particular unit is not working we are always happy to offer an alternative room or repair of the unit.

I am sorry that you felt insulted at being asked to guarantee the payment on arrival. It is the hotel’s policy to request prepayment or a credit card guarantee upon arrival when guests are paying directly. It is certainly not our intention for this to cause any offence to our guests.

Although critical, we are appreciative of all feedback so that we may continue to improve our standards and facilities and thank you for providing this feedback.