“Worth the money, great location, you get what you pay for”

Pensione Hotel Perth
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed here 1 night as I needed to be close to the Royal Perth Hospital (only a 5-10 min walk). Location is excellent right near the mall. Stayed in a standard double on the 7th floor. Rooms are small but you get what you pay for, want a bigger room stay elsewhere. Overall the rooms are clean & comfortable & it was perfect for my stay. Staff are friendly. Food from restaurant/bar next door was delicious & relatively quick room service for a Friday night. We ordered Farmyard Catch & Chicken Parmi couldn't fault it the food was delicious. I would recommend this hotel for a quick stopover, a base to use for shopping or if you needed to be close to the hospital.

• Stayed: September 2013
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Daylight89,

Thanks you for reviewing our hotel and providing such positive feedback.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and please keep in mind our larger Deluxe Corporate or Premium rooms for you next visit as we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in this excellent hotel. I was initially booked to stay at another hotel in Hay Street, but I came across a special weekend rate on this hotel's website. After comparing what was included in the room rate, the positive reviews in Tripadvisor and the fact that the hotel just undertook a renovation not too far back, I switched to this hotel, even if it did cost roughly AUD $15-20 more per night, and I'm certainly glad I made that decision!

LOCATION:
Conveniently located at the corner of Pier & Murray St. in the Central Business District of Perth, everything significant (Barrack St. Jetty, Hay Street Malls, Perth Rail Station, Underground & the various Cat Bus routes) is within walking distance. A supermarket's just at the opposite end of the street (so you can save on brekkie & get whatever you need if you travel light like me) and there are various dining options (budget to fine dining) nearby. Best of all, its just a few meters away from 2 of the Airport Shuttle stops in the area- this is important since the shuttle no longer does hotel pickups & drop-offs.

The hotel's in a "good" neighborhood/area, and I felt comfortable walking to and from the hotel even late at night. There are some pubs in the vicinity (one's conected to the back of the hotel) and though it could get a bit loud on a Friday night (only at the lobby), it was quiet in my room (3rd floor, at the side opposite from the side where the bar is)

Don't expect a pretty view from your room though (beacuse it's not near the Swan River or any parks) but I didn't fly all the way to WA just to stare out my window so this didn't matter too much.

CLEANLINESS:
First thing I look at in a hotel room is the bed then the bathroom, and both were SPOTLESS. Housekeeping seemed to be on duty all day, and if you request to have your room serviced, you'll find it cleaned when you come back. The bed even had those expensive dust mite/hypoallergenic sheets that you'd usually find only in top rate establishments. The hallways & lobby were also clean. All facilities were relatively new.

AMENITIES:
-Bodywash, shampoo, conditioner, handsoap & hairdryer in the bath (replaced daily),
-Iron in the closet, in room safe, mini fridge, flat screen TV with a good selection of channels, a clock radio with an I-pod dock (imagine that!)
-A small work desk
-Fast and stable Wifi (you have to get a new acess code every morning at the lobby though- fair enough, this discourages "freeloaders" on the bandwith who'll slow down the connections of paying guests)
-I've noticed that some people might complain about the room size, but I've stayed in tighter quarters in Hong Kong and Singapore, and the room I got seemed spacious enough for me. In the pictures I've posted here, I've included my `21 inch pilot case (in the airport plastic security wrap) to illustrate the dimensions of the room.

SECURITY:
Access to the rooms and lifts are controlled by modern key cards, hallways were fashionably lit (no blind & dark corners for anyone to hide behind) and routes to the fire escapes are easy to find on each floor.
In my room, there appeared to be no practical means/threat for a potential burglar to gain access through the window to my room. (Yes, being originally from N.Y., N.Y., I'm that meticulous)
Fellow guests staying here appeared to be decent people; no shady or "rough" characters.

SERVICE/VALUE FOR COST:
This is probably the best selling point of this establishment. From the moment I walked in, to the very last minute I spent in this hotel, I felt like a very welcome guest. I was treated even better than in the 5 star beach resort I previously stayed in two weeks prior to coming to Australia. On check in, I didn't show my reservation print out on purpose just to see how they'd handle it, and upon mentioning my surname and explaining that I had booked a room, the girl manning the concierge knew the details of my reservation (without checking the monitor) and said they were expecting me and that my room was ready. (Wow. Either it was a slow day, or they're really good!) They did require to verify my identity & a credit card hold out for incidentals though, which is standard procedure for any establishment.

Anytime I had to deal with either room service or the concierge (even if just to ask for directions) they were courteous, candid and even friendly. They genuinely seemed to be glad to be of help, and never treated me as if a guest was just something to be put up with or that they were just going through the motions.

Surprisingly, I found a better deal by booking directly on the hotel's website than with my usual hotel booking engine. One plus factor is that there were no surprise/hidden charges. All costs (nightly rate, key deposit, 1.5% credit card surcharge) were clearly mentioned on the website before you give your credit card details (no fine print or dirty tricks) , and these are again specified in the confirmation email they send you. While I'm not in favor of the imposed 1.5% surcharge, I can vouch that at least, they deal fairly with their customers.

CONCLUSION:
While not a "luxury" hotel, in terms of the price paid for the level of service I recieved, the condition of the hotel's facilities and it's good location, I give this hotel 5 stars hands down. (I'm not a fussy or demanding guest anyhows, and this hotel exceeded all expectations). As long as they keep it this way, I know where I'm going to stay next time I'm in Perth!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear Nurikabe_12

Wow! This would have to be the most comprehensive review that we have ever received and I thank you for taking the time to provide it.

The team are still talking about your fantastic review which has been placed on the noticeboard and will certainly act as motivation to exceed our guest’s expectations in the future.

Apart from continually improving we don’t plan on changing anything so rest assured the next time you stay with us will be as positive as your last and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel takes the cake for best service in hotel/resort that I've stayed with and my job requires me to travel very often, so living out of my suitcase in a hotel is very common for me.

I went to Perth for a 1 week business trip. The room that was given to me spacious with huge bed and the bathroom was clean and tidy. I just don't understand the function of the mirror that was put behind the chair next to the window.

However the highlight for my stay was the hotel staff (reception was friendly and very helpful) but the cleaning/room service team was the star. The story was, I taken out money for me to use but I accidently forgot to put it in my wallet as I was rushing to go for a meeting and the money that I was intended to use was left lying at the table in my room and this was AUD300 (a big amount in my country). I was only aware about the money when I was paying the taxi driver. To my amazement, the money was still in the table when I came back and even put neatly where I can see it. The honesty that the hotel staff is beyond believe and respect should be given to them.

I have stayed twice with the hotel and have been highly promoting my colleagues in the office to stay there whenever one of us in heading to Perth. Food is very easy to find (there's 1 delicious Korean restaurant just next door).

I will be coming to Perth again on October, the choice for me is obvious.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the road if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DanDarby

Dear DanDarby,

Thank you so much for your review.

The team are absolutely thrilled to read you kind words. It is fantastic feedback such as this that reinforces our desire to provide the best possible service to our guests and also motivates us to do even better!

We can’t wait to welcome you back in October.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a case of a renovation that has done the best with what was available. I'm told the building was once a hostel, and that is clear from the size of the rooms, which are the size of an old-fashioned hostel room but now with a bathroom added. With a queen sized bed in the room, there is nowhere to put your bag, and you can just squeeze around the edges of the room. That said, the place has been decorated nicely and the bed is comfortable. The bathroom is attractive and accessible. There is a good sized TV on the wall and tea and coffee making facilities are provided. I had breakfast one morning at Miss Maud across the road, and it was on par with most hotel breakfasts. Guests are also provided with a voucher for a free drink at the in-house bar and restaurant. To be honest, I wouldn't pay more than $100 per night for a room here. It is not luxury, but it is a clean, pleasant place to lay your head. The service was of a good standard, but I was surprised that there is no disabled access to the lobby.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Chris B,

Thanks for your review.

I am really pleased that you liked the refurbishment of the property and found the facilities in the room more than adequate. Our Standard Double rooms are certainly cosy and compact and are advertised as such. We do however have larger rooms which provide additional space and facilities to suit a wide variety of guests’ needs.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in future so please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Pensione Hotel is in a very good location that is near to the CBD area where all the shopping are. It is indeed a small room but for the price we paid, I think it was good enough as we were only looking for a place to sleep. Surprisingly, the bathroom was very spacious. Most importantly, the room was clean. Staff were helpful and friendly. We asked them quite a few questions during our stay and they were all ready to help. The downside is carpark can be quite expensive and they only provide breakfast at the hotel opposite them (Miss Maud) which you need to pay separately. We did not had the breakfast there but do check out Miss Maud.. they served very nice buffet dinner!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Layting_ng,

Thank you so much for posting your review.

We certainly do strive to provide the “most important” things during a guest stay and are pleased you found our location central, your room clean and the team helpful and friendly.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

All in all a comfortable bed is the most important thing for me which it was. Having said that the room was tiny. Not even room for a bedside table or even for so eon to get into bed from the other side. I got a note saying they didn't clean my room as I had requested privacy even though I was out for all but 10 mins of the day. The fact the the bed was comfortable is the biggest redeeming feature and I'd stay again for that reason alone.

• Stayed: August 2013
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear shanemelb1968,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.

We have received so many positive comments on how comfortable our beds are and I am delighted you had the opportunity to experience them yourself.

The room that you stayed in was our Standard Double room and while being cosy and compact they are perfect for the solo traveler and still provide facilities such as comfortable queen bed, in room safe, wardrobe, mini fridge, ipod dock, LCD TV, bed side tables and air conditioning to ensure your comfort . We do have small number of Standard Double rooms that have one bed side table instead of two and it is most likely you were allocated one of these rooms. Our friendly team at reception would have been more than happy to show you our larger Deluxe Corporate and Premium rooms.

We certainly respect our guests’ privacy and this is often requested by guests who are out for the day by placing a sign on the room door handle or activating the Do Not Disturb setting on the electronic door lock. I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope reception were able to assist with any items that may have been required.

We look forward to welcoming you back so you can experience our extremely comfortable beds once again.

Warm Regards

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We got a good deal at this hotel and it was well worth the price. Don't think I would have paid full price though. It seems like hotel prices usually are lower at the weekends in Perth.

The room was small but not too cramped. The bathroom with shower was quite spacious at least. The room was very clean and light. There are coffe/tea facilities and LCD TV. Wi-fi is not free but avaliable at a cost.

The staff at the reception was very nice and friendly.

The location is excellent, in the middle of central Perth.

The only down side with the room is that the walls are quite thin which means you can hear the neigbours very well at night...and also the noice from the pub located at the street level. We stayed at the fourth floor but still could hear it quite well, but it was ok. If you're a very light sleeper though you might think twice before book.

I would recommed this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Egus,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. You are definitely well traveled visiting 38 cities with 43 hotel reviews and it is fantastic that so many fellow Trip Advisor users have found you reviews helpful.

We are committed to providing a positive guest experience with genuine, warm and friendly service together with clean, comfortable accommodation in a central location and I am pleased that you found this to be the case.

I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused due to noise disruptions. Our friendly team would have been more than happy to move you to a room away from this area.

Please contact the hotel directly when you next return to Perth as we would love to welcome you back.

Warm Regards