“Stylish, clean, cozy and affordable!”

Pensione Hotel Perth
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Perth, Australia
“Stylish, clean, cozy and affordable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently, and have noticed the reviews complaining that the standard rooms are small etc.

No this hotel isn't a 5 star luxury hotel with all the trimmings, but it doesn't claim to be either. And it doesn't come with the excessive price tag either. Perth is known for having very high hotel prices. This hotel comes as a nice surprise. It's perfect for a short stay or a place to crash after a night out on the town in the city or Northbridge.

It has a very comfy bed and modern bathroom. It's also in a very good location.

I think it's just what Perth needs and I am glad a competitively priced budget hotel that isn't tacky has entered the playing field.

Room Tip: Standards rooms are very small but ideal for a place to crash or where you literally just need a pla...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Mitch P,

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

We pride ourselves on providing clean, comfortable accommodation in a fantastic location and are delighted that you found this to be the case.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next return to the city for a night out.

Warm Regards

Brett Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel has the smallest rooms I have ever experienced in 7 years of traveling the globe. It is really not for a business traveler if you have to do reports and enter stuff on the computer after work in your room because there is no room to do it. Def not for a couple if you have luggage, no place to put it. On the good side its a great location but thats about it I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Consider some where else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank rswtrg
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear rswtrg,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is such a shame that we did not get the opportunity to run through all of our room types as I am certain we could have moved you to a more suitable room for your needs.

Our Standard rooms are cosy and compact in size and are more designed for the single traveller or budget conscious couple staying a night or two who do not require extra space. Our Deluxe rooms provide a little more space with larger wardrobes and working area. For our corporate guests we have specifically designed our Deluxe Corporate rooms as they provide a large working desk and luggage storage. If extra space is what you need then our Premium Rooms would be ideal as these provide a sitting area with 2 comfortable arm chairs and a larger 40” LCD TV.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and should you be returning to Perth please contact me directly so I can provide you with a complimentary upgrade subject to availability and personally ensure that your next stay is comfortable and enjoyable.

Warm Regards,

Brett Taylor
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was in Perth for three nights and because I stay at the same group's Kirketon hotel in Sydney, I knew not to pick a regular room as they can be on the small side for Australian hotel rooms.

Instead, I opted for a premium double, which was well appointed and large, with a small sitting area for reading / watching tv and a desk. I didn't experience the same issues as other reviewers with the condition of the room.

I liked that there is a guest laundry on the fourth floor, that you need to use your keycard to access your floor and also the general location of the hotel. It's an easy walk down to the river and easy to eat out at nearby cafes or take a short walk up to Northbridge. The cafe about four doors down on Pier Street (can't remember the name) did a pretty reasonable coffee and breakfast. The reception staff were professional and helped me with a taxi and a couple of other queries I had.

Given the rather extraordinary prices of hotel rooms in Perth at the moment, and because I only booked the week before, I was reasonably satisfied with the price point of the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JB3000
Pensione Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear JB3000

Thank you so much for your review.

It is always great to hear of guests having a positive experience when staying at one of the many 8Hotels properties throughout Australia.

Should you be travelling to Perth any time soon please don’t hesitate to contact us directly as we are more than happy to help you with making a reservation for your stay here or any of our other properties.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here for business as our the hotels we normally use were booked out. It is close to the Hay and Murray St malls which is good. That's the good news. The room had been recently been refurbished but it had a bad smell emanating from the bathroom every time I came into the room.

I had a room on the Murray St side of the building which meant as soon as the early morning traffic started (especially the garbage trucks) at around 5am I had to get up because of the noise.

The buffet breakfast is very average and offers a limited number of choices and they had one staff member trying to record who was coming in and attending to customer requests.

Won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is NOT on the Murray St side of the building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Redo23

Thank you for your feedback. I must sincerely apologise you found your recent stay with us less than satisfactory.

As you have mentioned we are centrally located in the heart of the CBD. This can sometimes result in street noise on the Murray Street side of the building especially if you are not used to living in the city. If we were made aware of this during your stay we would have certainly looked at moving you to another room.

The restaurant is run independently from the hotel but I will be sure to pass on your comments in regards to the breakfast.

I am saddened to hear you won’t be staying with us again and would welcome the opportunity for you to experience the hotel in a more positive light. Should you change your mind please don’t hesitate to contact us directly as we would love to welcome you back.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I’ll do my best to not stay here again. The hotel website announced that the property has been refurbished, which is true. The reception area, hallways and rooms have had a new coat f white paint, but the attention to detail is lacking.
The shower is tiny and leaks all over the bathroom floor.
Room service is from the bar downstairs, which is a basic backpacker / uni style bar. Food is average, and only available until 8.45pm. Which is disappointing when i wanted to order food at 9am, and there are no takeaway restaurants near by.
The mini bar in the room is non-existent, and only contains a $5 bottle of water. Not ideal when room service stops at 8.45pm
The room was super tiny with two single beds– i can’t remember the last time i slept in a single. Pillows were crap, and the windows were so think i could hear all the noise from the street.
The iron board was child size, which made sense as the room wasn’t big enough to hold a full size ironing board. However trying to iron a shirt on a tiny board sitting on a bed is not something i’d expect when paying more than $200 per night.

Room Tip: find somewhere else, or request a high floor to limit the noise
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Phil_Hancox
Dear Phil_Hancox,

I would like to sincerely apologise for your recent experience at the hotel. As you have mentioned we have recently finished a refurbishment although it was more extensive than a new coat of paint and included a complete upgrade of everything in each room including fixtures, fittings, furniture, carpet and electrical appliances.

We have a wide range of room types and sizes available. The room that was booked on your behalf was a Twin room which has 2 single beds. A Deluxe Corporate Double or Premium Double room may have been more suitable for your needs as these are larger in size and have King beds. The ironing boards in our rooms are table top style boards however we do have full size ironing boards located in the Guest Laundry on Level 4.

My Place Restaurant and Bar are open 7 days per week from 11am – 8.45pm. The restaurant is run independently from the hotel and I apologise that you were not able to place an order as the kitchen was closed. Our friendly reception staff would have been more than happy to recommend one of the many take away options close by.

Should you return to Perth in the future we would love the opportunity to accommodate you again so please contact the hotel directly so we can ensure you reserve the most suitable room for your needs.

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to catching the Indian Pacific train to Adelaide. The receptionists were all courteous and helpful and the room was very clean but that's where it finished. Our room was a dog box. There was barely any room either side of the bed, there was no-where to put our three suitcases, so we ended up storing one under the desk also by the bed, another in the bathroom and the third in front of the door!!!! There was also a step up to the bathroom that we almost broke our toes on. As you can imagine the room was almost claustrophobic. The breakfast staff were not customer friendly - they didn't crack a smile and got both our simple breakfast orders wrong. Position is good with a central city address and the bed was comfy, but the room would have only suited a single without luggage.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kevdeb5
Dear kevdeb5,

Thank you so much for your review.

I am absolutely thrilled that you found the staff to be courteous and helpful and the rooms very clean. I will certainly pass this onto the team.

I would like to sincerely apologise that you found your room to be small. I agree that our standard room types are compact in size and we promote these as such. As mentioned in numerous Trip Advisor responses we have a wide range of accommodation available and one of our larger Deluxe Corporate Double or Premium Double rooms may have been more suitable for you.

The restaurant is run independently from the hotel and I would like to apologise for your experience there. I will certainly pass your feedback onto the owner.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and should you be returning to Perth please contact the hotel directly so we can ensure your next stay is more comfortable in one of our larger rooms.

Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights during our 2 weeks in WA. We booked the double deluxe room and the room was quite small, very little space for luggage.

Staff was friendly and accommodating but the staff at My Place needs some improvement.

Hotel itself is in a great location as its close to shopping centers. It's clean and newly renovated.
There are no ramp leading to the hotel so having a big luggage might be a problem.

Tip: for people travelling from the airport, taxi going here cost around A$40, there's the perth airport connect shuttle at the airport which is much cheaper especially if your a family.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Doydy,

Thank you so much for your review.

You might find our Deluxe Corporate or Premium rooms more suitable as they are larger providing more room to store luggage.

It’s great to hear you found our hotel staff helpful and I will certainly pass this onto the team. I will also pass your comments onto the independently owned and operated restaurant.

As you’ve mentioned access to the hotel is via several stairs but our reception staff are always willing to assist.

Be sure to contact us directly if you should need accommodation in Perth city again. We always look forward to seeing return guest!

Kinds regards