“Very comfortable and central”

Pensione Hotel Perth
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Aarons Hotel is a very central and very comfortable hotel. It is just one block from the busy Murray Street and Hay Street Malls, so the location is perfect. The free CAT buses have several stops with a minutes walk, and the Train Station is just 5 minutes away.
The hotel was nice and clean. My room was a little small, but packing in everything you would want in a hotel. The bed was comfortable and sleep quality was excellent. There was a fee for the wifi (which I didn’t bother with) and room service was available at a decent rate. The in-room safe was big and easy to use.
Aarons Hotel was a pretty good option in central Perth and comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Pensione Hotel P, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Dear Fiver75,

Wow, you are definitely well travelled with over 848 reviews in 72 cities and we really appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. We are thrilled that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Should you return to Perth in the future we would love to welcome you back.

Brett Taylor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,424)

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We booked two rooms for one night for a mini getaway in the city (we live in Perth, but in the suburbs). I chose this hotel based on price, the excellent location (I have worked in the central city for about 10 of the last 20 years so have a good idea of where the best locations) and were reassured despite the poor ranking by the recent positive reviews (which are justified).

The refurbishment of the hotel has just been completed (still ongoing in the lobby) and so everything is sparkly new, very tastefully decorated, and beautifully clean. We all really liked the decor, and the kids were very taken with the chairs in the lift lobby on our floor, the decor of the hallway and the large numbers on the doors as well as with the rooms.

We booked the cheapest type of room and were on the second floor, so in probably the worst location and rooms we would be least likely to be happy with. While the room is reasonably small, it is not minute and can walk very comfortably down one side of the bed, down the front, and comfortably but brushing the curtains on the other. There is not any feeling of claustrophopia though, and it is very much on par with rooms found in many large cities such as New York. If travelling with a lot of luggage it may be problematic, but otherwise not a problem.

Room features: comfortable bed, bedside tables on both sides, bedside lamps on both sides, telephone, ipod dock (which is a great thing to have!), flatscreen TV, small desk, safe, refrigerator, wardrobe with hangers, windows which actually open (wind out), kettle and selection of teas and coffee. The bathroom had the basics, and separate shampoo and conditioner which is a nice change from many places of similar price that given the combined versions. Very comfortable.

Location: excellent location (any 'better' location would be marginal at best - and one of the few hotels in Perth that is convenient to the shopping malls, Northbridge and public transport), a two minute walk to the Murray Street Mall including lights, convenience store a minute away, many food options within a 2 minute walk, Northbridge a 3-5 minute walk depending on lights and choice of route). Felt safe in the area at night, with plenty of people walking around, and a busy restaurant across the street. Some have mentioned nightclub noise, but I did not hear any even from a lower level. There are many parking options nearby, through both the City of Perth and Wilson's Parking. The hotel does not currently have parking available due to the refurbishment.

Service: The staff were just wonderful, from my enquiries over email through to check out. My daughter accidentally locked the safe and couldn't remember the code, and a staff member came up very promptly and opened it. The checkout experience was great, there were two staff working at the 'peak time' when we checked out, and were both very efficient and very pleasant in their manner. Check in was just wonderful - I had asked for the booking to be in the name of my daughter and her friend (as exciting for them and a birthday outing), and the lady at reception was so great about addressing them, handing the keys over to them, and dealing with them as far as possible, was just lovely and made it a really nice experience for them.

The only negative was that sound carries quite a lot from inside the rooms to the corridors (can hear TVs, cuboards closing and talking very clearly). This did not impact on sleep or quiet enjoyment of the room though.

Tips:
- check the iPod dock on arrival to make sure there is no alarm set
- if you are staying on the weekend and do not need your car between midnight and early morning (10am on the Sunday, earlier on the Saturday), the Wilson carpark on the corner of Pier Street and Wellington Street charges a flat fee of $5 for 3 or more weekend hours. For a 25 hour stay we were charged only $5!

We will definitely be staying here again - the price makes a city mini break affordable, the location is wonderful, and the room very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear EvilGeminiTwin,

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive and honest review. I see that you have had plenty of practice being a Senior Contributor on Trip Advisor with over 34 reviews!

We are absolutely thrilled that you found the rooms comfortable, the location excellent and the service wonderful. Your feedback has been passed onto the team and it is really appreciated.

When you are next on an overnight visit to the city we would love to look after you again!

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Glad I booked weeks in advance as these guys, like most other hotels in Perth according to my cab driver, get booked out with mine workers / fly in - fly outs etc.
Refurbishment seems to have lifted the place alot. Rooms small but bigger than expected, really clean, well designed & comfortable. Very quiet considering city location. They went over the top with their service which was great from the moment I checked in to when I left 3 days later. Nothing was ever a problem. I've stayed in a few 8 Hotels around Australia & they always do a great job! Definitely my new place in Perth.
BTW Fitness First have a fantastic Relaxation area with Steam Room/Sauna, Aromatherapy Room & Gym only 3 minutes walk away so felt like I had all I needed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Ecotravelling,

Thank you so much for such a positive review. It is feedback such as this that reinforces our desire to provide outstanding customer service to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Stayed here for three nights for a conference. Since it's been taken over by 8 Hotels the place is getting a much needed refurbishment. But it's still not up to par in my opinion. Room faces out on other buildings & there is no privacy curtain so need to close the heavy curtains so nobody can see in.

The bathroom is new & is adequate. The room is quite small & there is no good place if you need a desk to work at. I resorted to working on the bed, which is not ideal.

But worst of all is on Friday night when there is some kind of noisy night club in the restaurant/bar downstairs. The throbbing noise of the crappy music from the bar is painful. The drunken laughter of other guests as they slam doors and yell at each other is like a purgatory.

Also during my stay someone stole the ironing board & iron (of which there is only 1 of each in the place). The staff replaced it next day, but that meant 1 day where I had to head out in an un-ironed shirt.

The staff are very friendly & helpful - they are the best thing about the place.

Don't think I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a low level room as it will be too close the noisy bar (especially bad on Friday night...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TheChairmanMeow
Pensione Hotel P, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2012

Dear TheChairmanMeow,

Thank you for providing your feedback and I sincerely apologise that you found your stay to be unsatisfactory.

We have a number of different room types and sizes available at the hotel ranging from our Standard Double, Deluxe Double and Premium Double Rooms. Our Premium Double rooms are our largest rooms and provide a sitting area, larger working area and an iron and ironing board. Perhaps one of these rooms may have been more suitable for your needs.

We always strive to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay with us and if made aware of any concerns during their stay will do everything possible to find a solution such as moving you to another more suitable room.

The refurbishment to the hotel is almost complete and final touches including installing privacy curtains in all rooms are about to commence.

We are very pleased that you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and would love to welcome you back to experience the hotel once the refurbishment is fully completed in June.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Aarons Hotel on the corner of Pier and Murray Street is a good place to stay if you're in Perth for work - as I was. The area surrounding is fairly quiet and has a good sprinkling of shops, restaurants and a handy bar downstairs from the hotel. Nearby is the free bus to whizz you around central Perth.
The rooms are very well presented with comfortable beds and nice white bathrooms. Everything worked perfectly and as such I had absolutely no complaints about Hotel Aarons.

For an extra $25 or so you can opt for the buffet breakfast which includes toast, jams etc plus several types of breakfast cereal, a selection of fruit (fruit salad, prunes, pears etc) and yoghurt. Then if you are a 'full breakfast' type there is a series of bain maries containing eggs, bacon, baked beans, sausages etc. Plus the usual coffee and tea urns. All good.

Now, nowhere in Perth is that cheap so don't expect budget prices from Aarons or any of the other CBD hotels. However Aarons is better value than some of the others and is excellent quality.

I walked around a bit and went for an early morning walk along the Swan River and up to kings Park. Have a look at the WA flora section - some amazing banksias and other species you don't see in eastern Australia. From there I hopped on the bus from the Botanical Gardens and headed back to my hotel and off to business meetings - all close by and walkable.

To get to the airport there is a bus that is part of the normal Perth bus network a short walk away, an airport shuttle bus ($15) that will pick you up from the hotel, or taxis.

sadly I only had about 40 hours in WA but wish I had of had more time to see Perth and surrounds. We managed a quick train ride to Fremantle for dinner but my time in WA was all to brief. Next time...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear hazeltrek,

What a fantastic review on Aarons Hotel and Perth City and surrounds! While you only had 40 hours in WA you certainly got to experience and see a lot in that time. We are absolutely thrilled you had an enjoyable stay and that your room was very well presented. Make sure you give yourself more time when you are next in Perth as there are so many other things to see and explore. We would love welcome you back.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights for work and the trip was booked last minute. I am used to 5 star hotels, but Aaron's Hotel was a pleasant surprise. When I checked in I struggled with my bags up the stairs and with the door, two reception staff watched me but not acknowledge me until I had made my way to them eventually.

Was pleasantly surprised to get a corner room on the top floor. I disagree with the comments on the size of the room - You get what you paid for and the room is good value. I had A LOT of luggage and often worked in the room and still had adequate space (and I was in a deluxe room).

The reception became more friendly particularly when I requested recommendations for near by restaurants. The room didn't have any plates or cutlery and the adjoining restaurant staff were very accommodating and happily let me borrow some.

OVERALL: Very good value

PROS: Central, very clean and renovated. Would definitely stay again.

CONS: Staff initially dismissive, street noise can be loud on weekends (I like to open windows to get fresh air, but had to close it to block out noise and use aircon) and the lifts have issues - Smelt of cigarette smoke and often felt like they were about to break down

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Jean G,

We really appreciate your comprehensive review of the hotel and thank you for taking the time to provide this. We are pleased that you found your stay to be enjoyable and good value for money.

I would like to apologise that you initially found our service to be less friendly on arrival. This is not the high level of service that our guests have come to enjoy. In regards to the noise, if we are made aware of any concerns during your stay we will always try and find a suitable solution as quickly as possible.

The lifts, although reliable are due for an upgrade as part of the refurbishment and will be completed by June. We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed in a recently renovated Delux room. They are small with limited area to put your bags but they are comfy and the shower had good pressure. Staff were friendly, hotel is in a good area, we paid $190 which was cheap for Perth so I would recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear JimboAustralia,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for leaving your feedback. Should you require accommodation in the future our Premium Double rooms which are larger and feature a sitting area may be more suitable for your needs. We look forward to welcoming you again.