“An enjoyable stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Western Australia
“An enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

We recently stayed at the Langley on business and were very impressed. After a long work day and 3 hour drive to Perth we arrived very late in the evening both tired and hungry. On checking in the staff were friendly and efficient and we found we had been upgraded to 1 bedroom suite on the 9th (Advantages) floor.

We were pleased to find we could get a meal as late as 10.30pm in the pub off the lobby and the fish, salad and chips were well above average pub fare and served as though we were dining a la carte - most impressive service.

The 9th Floor was very quiet and serene and the appointments of the one bedroom were above expectations, the floor area being more than adequate for 2 people, with modern decor. A spotless kitchen area, with hotplates and microwave, reasonable size bar fridge and all cooking utensils, modern dining table and chairs, 2 comfortable sofas, a small writing desk and an LCD flatscreen TV.

My husband and I have both had back surgery and hotel beds are often a issue, however the king bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in, with 6 pillows and a doona adding to the luxury. The unit housing another flatscreen LCD provided ample storage drawers.for clothing plus the large mirrored robe had sufficient hanging space as well as housing an iron and ironing board.

The bathroom was very modern and by most standards average size for Australian Capital citiy hotels, however the small dressing table in the bedroom, complete with power point and light made it easy for a couple to get ready without crowding each other in the bathroom.

After the first night we were suitably impressed and decided to book an additional night and the rate for the same suite was very reasonable, as was the undercover parking at $15 per day (most other Perth hotels charge $25 plus). Our large 4WD complete with roof rack fitted comforably into the parking area (sometimes a problem at other hotels due to narrow bays and low clearance)

We would have liked lunch the restaurant and were dispoointed to find it closed, but did have dinner there that evening and found the staff very attentive and friendly, the food was excellent (the sharing plates are exceptional value) and the wine list was extensive and varied enough for any wine buff.

Early check out the next morning was effortless and our luggage was promptly collected at 4.45am with the account prepared ready when we arrived at the front desk making our departure smooth.

Used to stays in luxury resorts, we were pleasantly surprised by the level of appointments in this city hotel, the place was surprisingly quite, relaxed and calm, the staff more than willing to assist when necessary and we were made to feel that nothing was too much effort. Well done to all concerned.

I can fully recommend the suites , especially if like me you can only tolerate rich a la carte dining in small doses, as on longer stays, as you can prepare your own snacks and meals.

The Accor Advantages card is a bonus offering a free nights accomodation, 10% discount on advertised room rates, 50% discount on food in the hotel and additional rewards points - to be recommended for those travelling frequently or holiday makers. We have already booked 3 nights in this hotel at Easter and 14 nights in the Benoa at Bali and gained 10% off the best advertised Accor internet rate.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Balilass
NovotelGM, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
Dear Balilass,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Perth Langley. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Your kind comments about our hotel services and staff have since been shared with our team directly. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Novotel Perth Langley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sussex, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

Having read several negative reviews after booking this hotel, I decided to contact the hotel direct to ask if we could have a refurbished room complete with new bed, pillows, etc. and thereby avoid some of the problems others had apparently experienced. I received a prompt reply from Mr Burrows who assured me that most of their guests were quite happy with their stay at the Novotel Langley and that the staff would be attentive to our needs.

Unfortunately when we checked in we discovered that the hotel had been expecting us a day earlier than our actual booking date which we confirmed by showing a copy of our own paperwork. The details were then updated on their system and everything seemed okay. We were then told that we had been upgraded to their Advantages Floor which included larger beds and had been recently renovated. The room indeed was very nice and spacious and equipped with everything one could need. We also had a side view of the Swan River which was lovely.

The bed was very comfortable and so were the pillows. The shower had lots of pressure and hot water was plentiful. Lots of lovely big, soft towels were provided too.
The room also had a large LCD television which was useful although the picture was not very good and when we mentioned this to the staff they admitted that this was a problem throughout the hotel, but did offer to send someone to check if the picture could be improved.

We do agree that breakfast was quite expensive and as such we only ate there a couple of times and this was because it was Christmas time and other local eateries were closed for the season. However the breakfast choice was fairly extensive and the hot breakfast really was good and hot. The only slight criticism here was that the women staff seemed very absorbed in their own chatter and were not very attentive to those waiting to order coffee, tea, etc. We did later discover that there was a coffee machine and hot water provided so that you could serve yourself, but I found that the hot water was not anywhere near boiling point and I admit to being fussy when it comes to making a good pot of tea when only boiling water will do - it just does not taste the same otherwise. Also, considering the price of breakfast I would have expected to have had everything automatically served to us. There are places close by though where you can find a very good and inexpensive breakfast.

The position of the hotel itself we found very handy for walking to the main shopping areas and just generally getting around. It is directly next door to the Sheraton Hotel which was another hotel we had considered for our stay. Our car hire company "Thrifty" also turned out to be just a hop, skip and a jump from there which was really handy for picking up and dropping off the car. The free bus service is also very close by and covered quite a lot of ground and therefore helped prevent sore feet. There is building work going on nearby, but we were not affected by this and found the hotel to be very quiet. We also found parking at the hotel quite easy, but I imagine that it just depends on how many others also wish to use it at the same time. We were told though that if there were a problem with parking that the Sheraton Hotel car park just opposite was also available at the same price.

On checking out of the hotel we did notice that they tried to charge us for an extra night, being the first night when they had expected us due to their own input error, however this was soon sorted and everything was resolved. Having said that, I would have thought that due to the original booking error on their behalf that they would have double checked all paperwork before presenting it to us.

In spite of this we really did enjoy our stay there and came across some really lovely staff on reception and around the bar area and nothing was too much trouble. In many ways our stay there exceeded our expectations and we would certainly stay there again.

Many thanks again to Mr Alan Burrows (General Manager) for his assistance in our very pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Littlegeegee
NovotelGM, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this review, May 26, 2009
Dear Littlegeegee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Novotel Perth Langley. I am pleased to hear overall you had a pleasant stay with us.

Your comment about the service at breakfast is duly noted and we have since spoken to the staff members concerned regarding their mannerisms. The error with your invoice on checkout has also been forwarded to the Front Office Manager to ensure attention to detail by our staff is maintained at all times.

Thank you again for your kind words about our hotel and staff members and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Kind Regards
western australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

Booked this through the advantage plus group.

Checked into wrong room. Asked for 2 doubles and got a King bed. Advised reception and was told to wait in the room unitl sorted out. 20 minutes later we were moved.

Parking is absolutley attrocious. Laped the block 4 times and when I went to reception for help the guy behind the counter really didtn give a damn. When I said what if it takes me hours to find parking he just shrugged his shoulders and said so be it.

When the booking was mad it included breakfast. Afer being ignored by the person at the restuarant ( she was to busy playing around with the coffee machine) was told t we had to pay for our breakfast as it hadnt been included. Three times I was told that no breakfast was ilcuded yet I had a voucher to prove it.

Will never stay at this place again. I will go back to the Mecure where the staff are always pleasant and helpful. Parking is a breeze.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kazza2904
NovotelGM, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this review, February 18, 2009
Dear kazza2904,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Novotel Perth Langley. I am sorry that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Your incorrect reservation and the response you received with regards to the parking have since been forwarded to the Front Office Manager and we will speak to all staff members concerned regarding this incident. I am sorry to hear you did not experience a pleasant start to your stay. The miscommunication with the breakfast inclusion has also since been shared with the Restaurant Manager and we will revisit some training issues.

Regards
Tampere
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

This is a very nice hotel, even if it is slightly 'tired' in some of the room. The staff are always friendly and helpfull. Breakfast is slightly over priced in my opinion.

• Liked — Location and friendliness
  • Disliked — Extra charges for Internet connection
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
NovotelGM, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this review, February 17, 2009
Dear clcroux,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in relation to your last stay.

With regards to the Internet, there is some cost to the hotel in providing this service and we are unable to absorb these costs. However, we have introduced an Apple Mac corner in the lobby area allowing 20 minutes of free Internet access for in house guests.

Thank you for your kind feedback about our staff members being friendly. This has since been shared with the team directly and I am sure it will serve as a great support as we strive to improve the quality of our services.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Regards

Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2008

Stayed here for a romantic evening with my partner for my birthday. Used my free night from my Accor membership.

We were met by an unfriendly staff member at check-in.
She did not welcome us to the hotel or even smile at us. We did not see her smile once. Certainly NOT the sort of greeting you would expect from any hotel - I'd proabably get better check-in service at a backpackers or caravan park.

Our room was on the top floor and was SO NOISY. Constant droning of the A/C and people coming past noisily to use the spa/fitness centre.

We hardly slept a wink at night. The pilliows were lumpy. The bed slumped into the middle.

The doona didnt even have a cover on it. It was the plain stained doona with a plain white sheet placed ontop of it. Pretty gross.

I live in a house with no bath so was looking forward to having one there - nope - bath was grotty with hairs around it. So couldnt enjoy this small luxury.

The quality of the screen on the TV was bad. Everyone onscreen looked like they were made of plastecine.

And the security chain on the door was broken... there was no chain at all attached to it.

We woke up faily early - headed downstairs for breakfast (which was really nice - fresh food and a great variety, the waitstaff here were lovely too and very attentive filling up our coffee's and clearing away dirty plates with a smile on their faces).

After breakfast we got out of there and went home asap. I was glad to be home once we got there.

I will try the Mercure next time with my membership and give the Langley a miss.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nic H
NovotelGM, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this review, November 2, 2008
Dear NixterPerth,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Novotel Perth Langley. Please accept my sincere apologies that some aspects of your stay were not up to our usual standards that we pride ourselves on.

The maintenance issues you raised have since been forwarded to the engineering department for rectification – I am sorry that these were not rectified prior to your arrival. With regards to pillows, there is a menu in your room that provides guests with a choice of pillows to suit their preference. I have discussed with our housekeeping department, the experience you raised in relation to the cleanliness of the bath.

Thank you for your kind words about the staff and quality of the food in Sen5es Restaurant. This has since been shared with them directly as well as with the rest of our team.

We appreciate you sharing your experience and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2008

All and all a pretty disappointing stay and experience at the Novotel Langley Perth.

I've travelled a lot and stayed in hotels all over the world of varying 'stars'...I stayed at the Holiday Inn (HI) in Hay Street for 5 nights on a work trip before to moving to the Novotel Langley (NL) Perth which I thought would be a bit of an 'upgrade'. However I would recommend the Holiday Inn well above the Novotel.

HI = Good location in the heart of the city, reasonably priced, helpful staff, included good breakfast, good room service, clean and reliable! It is what is it is and you know what you're going to get.
NL = Poor customer service at check-in. Care factor was zero! Staff and management were rude and slow. We were on the top floor ... the room itself was OK but noisy. The bed was poor and well past its use-by date.

I would recommend avoiding the top floor as the air-conditioner (which seemed to be right above our room) is extremely noisy and cuts in and out throughout the night. I'm not overly sensitive to noise and this was loud! It was not the room air conditioning.

The parking is appauling with so few parks for the number of rooms it's a joke!

Positives?? ... the restaurant is good and the service there was great!

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — Customer service at check-in. Care-factor zero. The parking which is NUTS! Super soft, spongy beds.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ClivePA
NovotelGM, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this review, October 1, 2008
Dear ClivePA,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel during your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Your experience at check in has since been shared with the Front Office Manager and we will discuss with all staff concerned about the less than satisfactory service you received. The issue of the bed being too soft and spongy is currently being rectified with a bed replacement program. I hope you will be able to experience the difference the next time you stay. We are also in the process of sourcing alternative parking arrangements in the close proximity to the hotel to cater for overflow parking.

Thank you for your kind words about the service and quality of Sen5es Restaurant. This has since been shared with them directly as well as with the rest of our team.

ClivePA, we appreciate you sharing your concerns and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

I stayed at the Novotel earlier this month and found it to be quite a good hotel. The hotel staff is very friendly. Check-in was quick and easy, which was excellent because I had appointments to keep. Rooms were clean, with a nice bathroom and good amenities. My particular room looked over the road, but I didn't need a view of the Swan River or anything. The LCD television with Foxtel channels was excellent. Room service was prompt. Buffet breakfast was alright. I didn't have any problems with noise from adjoining rooms. My only complaint would be that the beds could have been more comfortable. Overall, I had a good time.

• Liked — Standard of rooms
  • Disliked — Average beds
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
NovotelGM, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this review, September 14, 2008
Dear bella47,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are currently in the middle of a bed replacement program which will eliminate the bed issue you experienced. We hope that you will return in the near future to experience the difference this makes as well as trialing our new pillow menu. Thank you for your positive comments about our brand new LCD TVs, room service and our staff members. This has since been shared with the relevant departments. Please be assured that your feedback is highly valued as it assists us in improving our product and to increase guest satisfaction.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Sincerely