“Comfortable room. Strange art. Central location.”
Review of Kings Perth Hotel

Kings Perth Hotel
Ranked #56 of 65 Hotels in Perth
South Australia, Australia
“Comfortable room. Strange art. Central location.”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Efficient but seemingly stern staff.

Dated foyer, with a handy (tiny) convenience store conveniently located on one side, near the elevators. The convenience store sold very few items but was quite handy to have so close by.

There was no visible bin in the foyer, so travellers had just left rubbish, presumably from their visits to the convenience store, on the coffee table in the waiting area.

My room was clean, with modern furnishings. The style featured dark wood, warm colour tones, cream walls and olive furnishings.

I realise that art is subjective and that some travellers may not notice or be concerned by such things, but the art work in the room was very much not to my taste and I found it rather distracting and off-putting. It was hard to ignore, having been placed on the wall near the television. It didn't seem to watch the other items in the room. I've attached a photo of the art work.

My room was at the back of the hotel, facing away from the main road. The down side of this was that my room faced directly into the car park. When I opened the blinds, I had an excellent view of the car park. I could see cars and people in the car park and they could see me. I kept the curtains closed after this discovery.

The elevators were a bit clunky and some of the buttons needed to be pressed several times in order to get them to function. When another traveller pushed the wrong button, we were delivered to the basement storage area. It was dark and very creepy. I would have thought that there'd be a lock on a floor like that, but I think there may have been renovations occurring during my stay, so perhaps that explains why we were able to go to this floor. I wouldn't recommend letting children ride the elevators alone and say this due to both the buttons not working as easily as may be expected and also as a trip to the dark basement might not be ideal for them.

The room itself was comfortable. The seat (arm chair) was big and comfortable, almost good enough to sleep on. The tea and coffee facilities were clean and new. The range of specialty teas (eg lavender) was appreciated.

The bedroom contained a large bed (queen size, I believe), arm chair style seat, desk and chair, floor lamp and a flat screen TV. The bathroom contained a shower, basin and toilet.

The location is central. Perth CBD is quite small and most things are within easy walking distance, in my opinion. I walked around the city centre both during the day and late at night and felt safe at all times.

Breakfast was included with my booking and consisted of a buffet. There seemed to be only a very few options available in the buffet, but I admit that I arrived close to the end of breakfast. The timing seems strict as food was being packed up and tables were being reset around me.

I couldn’t hear any street noise while I was in my room. During the day, I could hear noise from the corridor and car park. I didn’t hear any noise at night.

I thought the room price was ok, especially given that I booked at the last minute. For the fee, I was provided with a clean room in a central location. Rooms can be hard to find in Perth, in my opinion, and I’d recommend booking in advance if at all possible.

Room Tip: Go to breakfast early. Timing seems quite strict. Lower level rooms at the back of the hotel wou...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank IngaProblem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cairns
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Wow this hotel has a great location but boy does it need refurbishment. The rooms and bathrooms were out of the 70s. However, sheets and towels were good quality and clean. Good restuarant on the ground floor with a good coffee annex.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alegro43

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here twice while in perth visiting my Girlfriend. The Hotel is centrally located and had everything you would expect of a city centre hotel. Shop around for a decent price as the best prices seem to be on the 3rd party sites.

Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rockrory
Kalgoorlie
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Kings hotel in Hay ST Perth would be the worst I have stayed in. The staff on the front desk were very nice but that would be the only positive. The room smelt of urine and the windows didn't open so had to buy some air fresheners. There was a lot of mould in the in the bathroom, no mini bar but we did get coffee and tea. For $173 a night I thought it was too much. We did get a discount for the parking. The one redeeming feature was that it is in the city centre so can walk to most places.

2 Thank Dixie C
england
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We just got back from Perth where we hired a campervan for 2 weeks so any hotel after that would be great, the kings perth was okay, friendly staff but they lack communication. We had to tell 3 of them that we needed a wake up call and then a taxi, only one of the staff wrote it on the form. The room was big with a double and a single bed, tv, hairdryer, fridge, air con. The bathroom was okay, bit old and tatty but fine, the loo cistern had 2 cracks down the front.
We ate at the restaurant which was very nice, the staff were very on the ball with pouring wine and tidying the table so 10 out of 10 for them :-)
Overall not a bad stay.

Adelaide
Reviewed May 21, 2012

What a disgusting hotel. Poor service at reception was not a good start, then we went to our room which we had to pay extra for as they had no standard rooms left. This room had a balcony looking out to a car park. The patio doors were broken allowing anyone from the adjoining balcony to come into our room. The drawers on the cupboards were hanging off, and in the bathroom tiles were missing. We asked to be moved to another room which was not much better, the bathroom smelt and the toilet was disgusting. Carpets were filthy I do not know how they can run a hotel in this condition. We would definitly not go there again or recommend it to anyone. When we complained about the standard of the hotel to the staff they didnt seem to care.

Room Tip: I have no tips as wouldnt advise people to go there
2 Thank gill5032
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 9, 2012

One of the worst hotels i have stayed in, the room was runned down, carpets were mouldy, the beds were creaky. For the price we pay it was a rip off. Do not be fooled by the pictures you see on their website. Must have been taken 15 years ago.
The front desk is rude and not friendly. There is no service at all. Worse of all you arent allow to change hotel cause we are force to pay upfront without a refund.
The only good thing its only 3 mins walking distance from Hay street. Wouldnt recondmend to anyone who is coming to Perth to stay in this hotel. For the same price you could stay elsewhere which is better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple