“Handy for a city visit”

Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Perth, Australia
“Handy for a city visit”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I chose to stay at the Hyatt for two reasons -- I'd stayed there before, and because it's one of the ONLY hotels in Perth that has on-site self-parking. Most Perth hotels either don't have any parking at all, or very expensive valet parking. The Hyatt has its own carpark, and with the free Transperth buses just outside the door, you can get into and out of the central city very easily.

We were on package deal ($219) that included self-parking (approx $20 value), two full buffet breakfasts ($78 total), and free internet (approx $20 value), so it was a worthwhile deal.

The decor is just the same as it's been for many years, but there's nothing wrong with that. Our room was on the 6th floor and overlooked Adelaide Tce. The bed was comfy, but my pillows were WAY too high and hard for me so I ended up not using a pillow at all.

The bathroom amenities were fine, thought the shower leaked over the floor a bit. However, there were too long black head hairs on the bathroom floor, which was a bit gross and indicated a not-to-thorough clean.

I particularly liked the new wall unit where the mini fridge was behind a cupboard at eye level, and where there was a cute little space with TWO power outlets perfect for recharging your phone or tablet -- no more hunting behind the bed or around the desk looking for a spare power outlet!

Would I stay at the Hyatt again? Yes, if I was driving into the city and needed a hotel with a secure place to self-park the car. The free buses make it a no-brainer, as you'll also save on not having to pay exorbitant city carpark fees.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rhonda B
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Rhonda B
Glad to see you were able to take advantage of one of our packages to enjoy a quick city break. For your information, we now have a selection of pillow styles available so on your next visit, please ask to see the ‘menu’ – hopefully you will find one more comfortable.
I am very sorry about the bathroom cleanliness issues – this is clearly not acceptable and I have asked our Housekeeping Manager to follow this up with his team.
Thank you for taking the time to let me have your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Adam Myott, General Manager, Hyatt Regency Perth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Northern England
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I recently spent four nights in a club room in the Perth Hyatt hotel. The room was very clean and well cared for. The housekeeping staff did a great job. Equally the staff in the Regency Club were polite, attentive and friendly. This helped make my stay enjoyable. The hotel restaurants were also good with fast service and great food. I highly recommend Joes Oriental Diner which is at street level. Portions were great, the food excellent and service was fast.

During my stay the hotel was having work done on the roof, and separately some urgent work was undertaken on the hot water system. These detracted from the usual Hyatt 5 star experience. I imagine they have been resolved by now. After raising this with Justin Borg, the Director of Rooms, he apologised and has promised that my next stay in a few months time will represent the best of Hyatt. It is great to know that senior managers such as Justin take guest comfort seriously, and listen to, respond and act upon guest complaints. This creates happy guests, keeps standards high and undoubtedly generates repeat business.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear scruffier
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to make good use of our facilities – and many thanks for the feedback regarding our staff and the level of service provided. I am sorry that the roof and water works detracted from your visit on this occasion; this is essential renovation and maintenance work that has to be undertaken and as Justin advised, this should not be an issue on your next visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back some time in the New Year.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I recently stayed here for 4 nights during a business trip.
Pros:
- great location near the Swan river, close to outdoor activities (about 20-25 min walk to the CBD, there is a free shuttle)
- a decent business center, where I was able to print and shred
- nice size outdoor pool and sauna
- I didn't use the gym - it looked smallish and a bit depressing (no windows) -who would not rather be outside with Perth's great weather
- airport transfers worked out well
- room service was prompt and I was not charged for hot water with lemon and honey (ordered in addition to other food); the hotel has a healthy food menu section that looked quite extensive
- Extensive choices at the buffet breakfast, including eggs/omelets made to order, fruit, coldcuts, honeys/jams, breads, juices, cereals, and fruit (included in my room rate, so I used it).
- I had a corner room (costs extra) which was good size but generally the decor is very 'corporate' and does not stand out in any way.

Cons:
- there is no actual spa, therapist from another hotel comes to your room (I normally prefer the more relaxed and 'special' atmosphere you get at an actual spa)
- the room had no DVD player, but the hotel provided one on request
- unexplained additional charges (e.g., laundry more expensive than anticipated, charge for a collect call to the US) were taken off without complaint
- the trash wasn't always taken out

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear giulietta429
Many thanks for your feedback. As someone who stayed several days with us and experienced many of our facilities, I appreciate you taking the time to share your views both in terms of what you enjoyed and those areas where your feel improvements could be made; the latter are duly noted.
I hope you will consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to Perth in the future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights for a family wedding reception. Friendly staff, clean and comfortable accommodation. We ate at the Cafe Restaurant for dinner one night and had breakfast twice and would have to be one of the best buffets served. Plenty of choice with trays refilled quickly and staff appearing quickly when needed. Wedding reception in the Terrace Ballroom was beautiful. Buffet dinner had guests commenting on how great the food and presentation was so very happy with that. All round a perfect weekend and was our first stay there but will definitely go back.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pauline556
So pleased to hear that you had a great couple of nights with us and many thanks for the comments regarding our Cafe restaurant and the wedding reception – I will certainly share this with our Executive Chef and his team.
I appreciate you taking the time to let me have your feedback and hope you may consider choosing us as your venue for future family celebrations.
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with a great foyer and welcome space.

Rooms are very nice but did find this hotel quite pricey compared to others.

Very centrally located in Perth. Close walk to the Swan river, shops, restaurants.

The hotel restaurant is great. Very authentic Asian food, little bit pricey but open late.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lauren P
Many thanks for your feedback and I am pleased to note that you enjoyed our hotel and the facilities we have to offer as well as our location near the beautiful Swan River. I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.
Adam Myott, General Manger, Hyatt Regency Perth
Dubai
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We spent 3 nights at the Hyatt in a river facing room. The hotel is pretty big and finding your room can be confusing. The room was nice, perfectly adequate with the usual 'stuff', robes, slippers, toiletries etc. Location is excellent if you wish to visit the river or the city. Parking can be a problem and the hotel has some parking in the basement at $20 a day. Our rate did not include breakfast and we only ate breakfast at the hotel once, it was a good standard breakfast buffet with hot and cold options.

On a personal note, the hotel was too big and impersonal for my liking. No one knew who you were and certainly you could walk in and out and no one would recognise you as an hotel guest.

Room Tip: The higher up you can get the better the view will be as there are buildings at the lower levels.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear fordaleDubai,
Thank you for your response and it’s great to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is indeed in a fantastic location with 700 car bays located in the basement. You may also be interested to know that the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service to the CBD every weekday morning.
The hotel is quite large with a total of 367 rooms and often has multiple conferences and events on every day. It is disappointing to hear you felt that due to its size it was impersonal as we make a great effort to ensure every guest feels welcome in the hotel.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel one day so you can enjoy all that the hotel has to offer and we can ensure you experience the true Hyatt touch.
Regards,
Adam Myott
General Manager, Hyatt Regency Perth
Perth, WA
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We needed a little time-out from a very hectic schedule with mummy/daughter time. Great night's sleep on the very very nice bed. Atmospheric and tasty afternoon tea.

We really wanted to do girly fun stuff and there was possibly just too much of a slick business edge. Because my daughter had a broken arm we were upgraded to Delux King for the better bath. THANKS Bath wasn't quite up for a massive bubble bath. Pool area lacked atmosphere and cocktails. And there was no Cartoon Network or Nickelodean on the TV. But that said, The Hyatt Regency doesn't sell itself as a fun parlour for kids and so this was a miss in our expectations.

The afternoon tea made up for it in a big way. Very yummy and we are very keen to come back for the proper high tea. The buffet breakfast was also one of the better ones we've tried around the world - lots freshness!

Staff were all very accommodating and whole stay was very fuss free.

24 hours later and we're back to the mad schedule, but feel like we had a really good holiday. THANKS Hyatt.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear PaulainPerth
Many thanks for your feedback and good to see that overall you enjoyed your ‘mum and daughter time out’. Sorry we couldn’t provide you with all the little extras you had hoped for in regards to your daughter, but really pleased to see that the Afternoon Tea and Cafe buffet went a long way in making up for this. I hope that you may consider staying with us again for any future mini breaks.
Adam Myott, General Manger, Hyatt Regency Perth