“Our home away from home”

Hyatt Regency Perth
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed January 20, 2013

As frequent visitors to Perth, we have come to regard the Hyatt Regency Perth as our very special place to stay when we are away from home.

We recently spent a truly fantastic weekend at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne on the Friday night, and Saturdayand Sunday night at Hyatt Regency Perth.
The Hyatt brand to us is always synominous with high quality, very friendly accommodation, without being over the top, and our perfect weekend away was no exception.

Wherever we travel we always try to find a Hyatt Hotel as we can always be assured of great value, exceptional comfort and friendly service.

As this review is about Hyatt Regency Perth it has to be said that this is probably the very best accommodation close to the Perth CBD.
A previous reviewer claimed to have taken 40 minutes to walk to the CBD, and I can honestly say that is absolute nonsense, unless of course you choose to walk at a very slow snails pace, which is not such a bad idea, if you want to take in and appreciate the beauty of Perth.
15 minutes tops and you're right in the centre.

As previously mentioned we are frequent visitors to Perth and so a few years ago decided to join "Club at the Hyatt". This is a fantastic value package, which for a very reasonable annual fee gives you huge discounts on restaurants, accommodation, free secure underground parking when dining or staying, and many more benefits.
Catherine-Ann, Club at the Hyatt manager, or her assistant Sheryl, are the two lovely ladies who can help you with any questions you may have about the package, but I can highly recommend you investigate the savings to be had for a small subscription.

From the moment you arrive you immediately get the feeling that this is a special place. The front desk staff are very professional and helpfull with any requests you may have, room service is prompt, restaurant and bar staff exceptional, cleaners always have a smile and a friendly "hello".
But above all else are the rooms and the bed ..... fantastic!!
Top priority for most of us.

Sometimes a tad expensive, depending on occupancy, but overall a great hotel with fabulous views across the river. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverview room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,532)

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Had a girlie high tea.
Between 3 til 5pm sat or Sundays eat & drink as much as can! Service 10* amazing structure.
Piano music. Canapes, pastries, bread, cream cakes & fruit. Flowing champers or tea an coffee. $50 each worth every penny. Love the waldorf London but much better than if like me lucky to be in oz of course!
indulge yourself or a good present to give as a thank u !

• Stayed: January 2013
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Cagsey
Really pleased to hear you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea in Conservatory and thank you so much for the great feedback. The teas are certainly very popular for a range of celebrations, including birthdays, hen parties, baby showers and of course just an ideal way to while away a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. As you say, they also make ideal gifts and vouchers are available for purchase via our Food & Beverage Administrator. Thank you again for your excellent feedback and hope to see you again if your future travels bring you back to Perth.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

After constantly being disappointed by average food for exorbatent prices accompanied by infuriatingly terrible service, our dining experience at Friends restaurant recently was refreshingly satisfying. The service was prompt and the wait staff knew the answer to our every question, it seems that most wait staff in Perth aren't even bothered memorising the daily specials when they clock on for work. The wine list was extensive with something for everyone and the champagne cocktails were traditionally spot on ( somethings are better left the way they were created). The five course degustation was subliminal with every course spaced out at the right amount of time so that your dining experience felt like a real night out. My husband who is a fussy carnivore, thought the the beetroot carpaccio was sensational, any chef who can make my husband wax lyrical over a dish with no meat is worthy of the highest culinary accolade. As for the price, I guess to most it is a little pricey but it is fine dining and considering that I have paid $40.00 for an average steak meal in many Perth pubs I was more than happy to pay the $95.00 for an elegant and well rehearsed meal with impeccable service.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2013

From time to time I stayed in Hyatt Regency Perth for business purpose. Compare to other places in Perth which I have been, for example Holiday Inn and Pam Pacific, Hyatt is definitely my first choice. Having said that my last visit in December 2012 was a bit disappointing.
On the second day of my week long stay, I called the house keeping to collect my laundry. As there was no response, I then tried reception and room services. I gave this exercise a good five minute however no one in the entire hotel cared to pick up the phone. At the end I took the laundry with me to the front desk on my way down for breakfast. I didn't want to waste more them and simply took my laundry down every morning since.
Hyatt Regency Perth is definitely not the classiest Hyatt however among its competitors in the area it is the best and safest option.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear JenTse
Many thanks for your feedback and I’m pleased to note that you enjoy staying with us. I am, however, very concerned that you on your last visit you couldn’t get hold of anyone via telephone to help you with your laundry; this is clearly unacceptable and I’ll certainly look into this further. Really sorry for the unnecessary inconvenience caused on this occasion and we will certainly ensure improvements are made. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Typical Hyatt, lovely reception and quality of service. Everyone is helpful and polite and well trained... But really for $320 a night I'd expect more than no breakfast, no film channel, a bathroom from the late 1980s and noisy corridor.

On the plus side the bed was comfy, there's a fridge in the room, king size bed it has Wi-FI, a nice desk, it's spacious, lovely view etc - - so lots to like - - but isn't that standard stuff now at $200? .... so I can't quite reconcile it with the prices.

Be warned, this is a significant trek into central Perth. They told me 15 minute walk and took me closer to 40 mins. Buses may be free and take 5 mins but you need a degree in navigation to work the routes out for the time you'll likely be staying on a business trip.

Perth itself is gorgeous.... so get out there!

So a safe bet - the best thing about the hotel are the people - but be careful about fees... If came back I'd stay somewhere more central since there's nothing to differentiate the calibre of the room for the price...

Hope that helps.

Room Tip: river views available ....
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BigHappyFamily2727
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear BigHappyFamily2
Thank you for your feedback – particularly in regards to our staff and the level of service they provided.
Being conscious of Perth’s current market conditions, we aim to offer a range of accommodation options to suit the varying needs of our guests, several of which include breakfast, parking, food and beverage bonuses etc and these are included on our website or can be discussed with one of our Reservations Team. I would also advise that in addition to the local ‘free’ buses, our Concierge operates a complimentary morning shuttle on weekdays; whilst there is a ‘standard’ route, they are also happy to take guests to other venues within the immediate city vicinity that may fall outside of the ‘standard’ drop off points.
Overall, it is good to note that you certainly like Perth as a destination and hope that you may choose to stay with us again on a future occasion.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

After spending a long time at a demoralising search for accommodation in Perth (high prices, run-down rooms - we were warned!), we decided on the Hyatt because of their City Escape package (self parking and breakfast included, $219 per night).
On arrival, we were upgraded to a king room on the 7th floor. The room itself was large and nicely decorated, if a little dated, but the bathroom was a real disappointment. The shower over the bath was old, with mouldy grout and a stained bathtub (a stained non-slip mat was provided also). A shower screen had been retrofitted to the old bathtub, but didn't fit properly meaning that it was impossible to take a shower without the whole floor getting wet. Rather than reusing my towel, which I usually do, I was forced to use it as a second bathmat to prevent me from having to stand in a puddle of water when drying my hair (that never ends well!!).
We knew the standard in Perth was to charge for wireless internet. The Hyatt's website says that internet is available (no mention of it being complimentary, which usually means it costs), so we didn't even ask! Unfortunately it was only when going to write this review, that I discovered that the hotel offers free wireless internet! I wish the woman who checked us in had mentioned this!
Regardless of all of this, every other aspect of our stay was very good. The breakfast offerings were vast and outstanding, and we were very impressed with the professionalism of all of the staff.
On all but the first day of our stay, we had complimentary water in our room, which is handier than you might think (especially in Perth in summer), and there were many amenities provided in the bathroom.
Overall we did OK, given the excessive price of accommodation in Perth, but I do hope the Hyatt has plans to reno their bathrooms, not just the glass panels of the front entrance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TychOBrahe
I am pleased to learn that overall you enjoyed your time with us however certainly acknowledge the points you highlighted. The hotel has undergone extensive refurbishment over the past few years and this is an ongoing process; we are continually reviewing areas where improvements can be made and will be looking to undertake further soft upgrades in the coming year. Sorry to note you were not advised of the complimentary internet service now being offered; whilst this has only recently been introduced, our staff are certainly aware that this is available and should be informing our guests on check-in; I will follow this up with our Rooms team.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will consider staying with us again on a future visit to Perth.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Wanted to take 4 year old child & partner away for the night but was horrified by the prices and availability on most options. So after changing my mindset of Mandurah and the beach I found the best deal was at the Hyatt Got a wonderful bargain and was able to book direct on line and saved even more. Got a lovely King room and bonus $99 to spend on food & drink through out the hotel including room service for $205. An absolute bargain.

As the the experience - it was wonderful. A lovely large room with a great bed, thoughtfully designed fittings, an arm chair I wanted to take home, an amazing mini bar, black satin padded coat hangers, a wonderful selection of teas and yes, free Internet for general use. The pool is large and free form and lovely. The refurbishment through out the hotel I believe has paid off and it looks even better than it did when I attended my school ball here 20 odd years ago. I love the art work and the nooks and crannies of the complex.

All the staff we met were exceptional; friendly and efficient and a credit to the hotel. It was a pleasure compared to the norms of Perth service. We had room service for dinner and breakfast and the food and set up for this were lovely.

I can't wait to go back minus the child this time for some adult enjoyment of the complex - but well done, definitely 5 star.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ScratchmyItchyFeet
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear ScratchmyitchyFeet
Wonderful to learn that you and your family enjoyed your mini getaway with us and thank you so much for the excellent feedback provided, particularly regarding our staff and facilities, as well as the general improvements that have been made throughout the hotel in recent times. I note you were able to book one of our special packages on this occasion; we have several accommodation packages available – some more tailored to suit couples – and hopefully you will find one of these to your liking for your next visit.
Best regards