“A nice, relaxing stay”

Hyatt Regency Perth
Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Our initial impression was not great – we parked in the adjoining carpark as the Hyatt parking was already full, walked up an escalator that was not working and entered the hotel through scaffolding.

The lobby area is impressive and the check in polite and efficient. The general accommodation area is amazingly bland and uninspiring – a featureless airport walkway comes to mind as a description. Rooms are not well signposted.

Our room itself however, was very “beige” but more than adequate. The kingsize bed was comfortable, pillows and doona were nice and puffy, and linens white and crisp. Extra towels had been provided and these were new and fluffy. The only downside to the bathroom was the absence of a fan – the glass fogged up after a shower, and water escaped from the shower onto the floor as the glass partition was not anchored to the bath. A good range of toiletries were supplied.

Breakfast included a vast array of options with eggs being cooked to order. This caused a huge queue to form and hence a wait for your breakfast selection – not a huge concern though as you knew your eggs were fresh.

We purchased a “Spring Special” which included a night’s accommodation, breakfast and parking – a great deal!

HINT – “The Burger Bistro” is a good alternative to eating in the hotel. Turn left after exiting the hotel and walk approximately a block. We were very impressed with their “no-carb” option burger.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Freocreatures
Thank you for your comments and we are very pleased you made the most of our “spring special” offer.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused by the Centre’s escalators being under maintenance as well as the scaffolding - the latter being necessary as part of ongoing improvement works to the hotel.
We have noted your feedback regarding Cafe breakfast and will look to see how we can address this while still providing guests with fresh breakfast items straight from the pan to the plate.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel one day soon so you can see the finished roof and enjoy all that the hotel has to offer.
Regards
General Manager, Hyatt Regency Perth

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I recently stayed for one night at the Regency Perth after a long weekend trip primarily to taste some delicious wines and check out WA. The hotel sits in the middle of Perth which makes it easy, but it didn't feel as warm as some Hyatts. The check in was easy and the room was nice, but nothing was fantastic. The bathroom is quite small and it all somehow feels too spread out to give that warm feeling. It was nice for 1 night, but I didn't have the "I need to get back here soon feeling."

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed at the Perth Hyatt recently for 2 nights, and it was a very good stay. I was expecting just an average hotel but was nicely surprised. Room was great, clean, spacious, modern, nice view of the river.
Room service was yum, dinner and breakfast in the restaurant also very good.
Staff were very efficient.
Overall really happy and would definately stay here again.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed one night at the Hyatt Regency Perth. Check in was a breeze, and upon learning we are there to celebrate my birthday, staff Bish upgraded us to a room on the 6th floor (Thank you Bish!) Room was great - everything was clean, tastefully decorated, lots of space, soft linen, fluffy towels, and the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed we've had - not soft, not hard, just right (very important when you have a bad back.) The only negative comment I can say about the Hyatt is the Cafe - dinner was a disappointment because the selection that night was a hit and miss, some dishes exceptional, some bad. The breakfast spread was an improvement from last night's however 2 servers behind the Danish bread/sweets/muffin area need further lessons on client service as they were chatting away loudly about their personal problems, ignoring me while I was getting my bread (sorry if these girls had a bad start to their day but I found their behaviour very unprofessional.) However most hotel staff were polite and friendly and in particular I would like to commend the housekeeping staff, the room we've had was really clean, well done guys. Despite the not so good dining experience at the Cafe, my husband and I would definitely stay at the Hyatt again (we will just eat somewhere else.)

Room Tip: My husband requested a room with a view, and we had great views of the river.
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Perth for a couple of days. The Lobby area is quite attractive. The room was very nice and had recently been redone. The bed was very comfortable. But I was surprised that the bathroom was extremely small for a HR and had not been updated. It would have been a good idea to remodel the bathroom at the same time as the room. Dining options are very limited and quite expensive. The breakfast buffet was $36 and the dinner buffet was $68 booth were mediocre in quality and the selection was extremely limited.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We flew in to perth from singapore on the 28th of February 2012 and stayed in the Hyatt Regency for 3 nights the location of the hotel is great over looking the Swan river, a pleasant 25 minute walk along the Swan river takes you to the departure point for the city tour buses and river cruises. The hotel rooms are pleasant and comfortable, the pool area is brilliant with sumptuous sun beds, there is a very reasonably priced coffee shop on the groung floor for either a hot or contnental type breakfast, also an atm machine in the lower lobby, food and drinks are also served at the pool side with a varied menu. Much of Perth is within walking distance of the hotel but the best way to get around is the hop on and of city tour bus, the city is very modern and european around the business district and the Swan river, the top end of the city is old Perth and worth a look with good shopping and restaurants, would certainly stay at the Hyatt again.

Room Tip: Try and get a high room with a view of the Swan river
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear DannnyMac566,
Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. It’s fantastic to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to make the most of the hotel’s facilities such as the rooftop poolside area – this area was recently refreshed with new timber decking and sun loungers and is a popular place for guests to relax and unwind.
It’s also great that you were able to try La Strada, the coffee shop on the hotel’s lower lobby, as this is a great place to enjoy a light breakfast or lunch. For your next stay you may be interested to know that the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service to the CBD every weekday morning and TransPerth buses are also free to take into the CBD and stop outside the hotel on Adelaide Terrace. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Regards,
Hyatt Regency Perth, General Manager

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Recent 5 night stay as a Hyatt Diamond member.

Positives:

The quality of the hotel is very good for Perth standards, modern gym and swimming pool, rooms are spacious and the executive lounge was outstanding. The staff at the executive lounge in particular deserve special mention, always happy to serve you and go that extra mile to help.

Concierge were friendly and always prepared to get you a taxi or give directions. Hats off to those guys.

Internet was fine and no problems at all.
Beds are comfy and shower pressure is awesome.
Bathroom amenities superb.

Negatives:

Cafe/Restaurant downstairs, the staff have little or no idea about customer service, a huge gap between eating on level 8 to eating on the ground floor. During a customer meeting for example the waitress poured wine into a glass and completely missed almost covering my customer with wine. Logic tells you if you spilt almost a glass of wine you would have to open a new bottle for the customer, after all you now have 80% of the bottle remaining. Now way lets cover this issue up and act like nothing had ever happened. Was she scared she might lose her job, perhaps but is that really my problem

After complaining that we wanted another wine I ordered a 2007 bottle and as given a 2009, I than debated on why I should pay $70 for a bottle which is not what was printed on the wine list, misleading in my opinion. The staff dont understand how wine pricing works in the real world. There is a bottle shop 2 mins walk from this hotel, I suggest ignoring the hotel wine list and getting decent quality wine or champagne elsewhere.

Front desk experience left a lot to be desired, there was an error with the Hyatt and they charged my Amex $199, at check out I had two debates with Mr Foo Loong and asked to speak to the manager or supervisor about this issue. Instead of listening to my complaints he completely ignored my concerns. Issue is now with my bank and I have asked them to look into this as potential fraud by the hotel. At check the issue was swept under the carpet, Mr Foo than turned around and said to me "did you sort out your problem".
I would have to say that was one of the worst experiences I have had In any hotel in Australia.

Coffee, I read the previous review and thought it can't be that bad. The hotel uses these fancy automated coffee machines with blue fluro lights but the beans seem to be a cheap brand you would find at a super market. Simple way to fix this issue, change the beans. I would rather drink Nescafé blend 43 than this rubbish. Seriously how much money is the hotel walking away from because the coffee is so bad, I guess Dome Cafe is benefiting from this.

Would I return to this hotel, definitely not which is a shame

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JasonFSydney
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear JasonFSydney,
Thank you for taking the time to provide such thorough and detailed feedback. It is with such feedback that we are able to continue to review our processes and make improvements.
I’d like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered during your recent stay at the hotel, particularly in Cafe and at the front desk. We’d like to assure you that this isn’t the type of experience that we try and create for our guests; however we totally understand the reasons for your disappointment on this occasion.
Your feedback is certainly something we have taken seriously and the issues you encountered have been discussed with the management concerned.
It’s important to us that we turn this experience around and I encourage you to email me personally at hrperth.gm@hyatt.com with your contact details so I can attend to this personally in more detail.
Regards,