“Too expensive - They even charge for Wasabi!!”
Review of Shiro Izakaya - CLOSED

Shiro Izakaya
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Perth, Australia
“Too expensive - They even charge for Wasabi!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I know I shouldn't expect Japanese Izakaya, but if they charge this amount I expect better food and service.
When we ordered Yakitori (grilled skewered chicken) with salt, which is common in Japan, Japanese waitstaff had no idea. Yes, we did order something there was not on the menu, but we expected they can take some orders other than menu with the price of $14 for 2 skewered chicken!!!
I ordered fish, which was tasty, but again I expect it with this price.
It didn't look too busy, but the service was slow. We needed to ask a couple of times for ordering more drink.
According to my friend, they even charge for credit card fee (not Amex!!).
We were disappointed with our experience.

• Visited November 2012

• Indonesian first
“Over-priced and we were underwhelmed”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

This did not have any of the character of the other Izakayas i have been to in Australia and its offerings were boring - sushi, sashimi and a few cold entrees.

We had set menu A and B - for $27 each, it was very over-priced: small bowl of packet miso, tiny bit of salad, 3 pieces of salmon sashimi and 3 pieces of sushi (with skin not completely removed on either) and a bowl of chicken terriyaki (him) and donburi (me) - the donburi was nice except it had very little beef in it and a couple of the larger bits were 2/3-3/4 gnarly fat and grissle.

We asked for a booth, they said they were fully booked and sat us at the bench along a window - all the booths remained empty while we were there.

They charge $1 for wasabi and 2% for credit card payments.

Unimpressed 2 small and dull set lunches, 6 pieces of beef tataki and a glass of white wine each was $95.

1 Thank katy35
Perth, Australia
“Average food, was expecting more.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I'd read a few reviews on different sites regarding this restaurant so my expectations were quite high. I've lived in Japan and really value good Japanese food. I would rate this restaurant as average. The location is good and the restaurant is nicely fitted out however I found the dishes basic in their flavour (same dressing used on a number of different dishes) a lack of care in plating..something that is usually so important with Japanese food. The portions are small and very expensive for what they are. I don't mind paying more for quality but the quality was just not there. This was an average dining experience and I would hesitate to try it again. Our waitress was 'smily' but delivered a second dish and failed to take away an empty plate from the first dish and on leaving the restaurant a chef, waitress and bar person were all hanging around near the entrance and not one of them had a "have a nice night", "thankyou" or anything to say to us as they were so busy engaged in social conversation. The lack of detail in the food is represented in the service.

• Visited March 2013
“hidden gem”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

this place is hard to find, unless you are looking for it you won't come across it. great to finally have a good restaurant in perth cbd! I wouldn't call this an izakaya (cheap, casual pub style japanese restaurant) this is more formal verging on fine dining. the menu is great, including the drinks list. the food was really nice, quite pricey.

• Visited December 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Go there before too many people find out”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

If you like Japanese food then this place at the bottom on a new office tower is worth the trip. Now just ignore the fact there are eight pages of sake and one page of wine and that the waitresses are struggling with their english it's all well meaning and the food makes up for everything

• Visited December 2012