“excellent service”

Parmelia Hilton Perth
Ranked #17 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed November 27, 2008

what a great place to stay. service was excellent - staff were all very professional yet friendly. good location, nice room. clean

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank travellover1989

Reviewed October 30, 2008

Me & my wife stayed at the permelia hilton albeit for one night at the end of our holidays in beautiful australia, we had stayed in some really nice modern hotels in brisbane, melbourne & at the ayres rock resort, so i was very much looking foward to ending our stay at one of the worlds leading hotels, How wrong we were, when we arrived no conceirge collected our luggage from our taxi, then when we checked in my wife told the front of house that we had asked for a late check out with our travel agent because our home flight to the uk was not until 1.00 am the following day and could we at least have the room until 18.00pm on the day of traveling home, we were told that check out was 10.00am, & if we wanted to have the room it would cost us the full price again, i was preperd to pay a small fee for another 8 hours but not another £124.00!!, we managed to get the room after some negotiation with front of house we were told we could have the room until 13.00pm, and they would look after our bags until we departed for the airport,
After this we were given our card to our room and told where the lifts were, BUT again no one came to collect our luggage, we took them ourselves to the room, & this is the hilton!!!
the lobby was designed very swish, in marble & black. But that was as good as it got, the hallways onto the rooms looked like something from the 70's, i'd hate to think when the last lick of paint was put on, the white paint looked more like tobacco yellow, the carpets looked like a sick paisley, so old fashoned
the room itself was dated, plastic bath, fixture and fittings were brass looking, again very 70's,
the room was meant to be a queen size, well i would have hated to see the standard room size!!
the bed was a nice size and comfortable, but at 7.00am the building site opposite started work, ok i understand that people have to work but this hotel does not believe in double glazing nor were we told about this when checking in (i.e. that there was building work going on), so we were up at 7.15am until we had to leave for the airport 21.00 later that day,
in all i was very disappointed in the hotel, i thought the hilton regarded itself on being one of the leading hotels of the world, not this one im affraid to say!!
oh and for the record, when we did finally depart for perth airport we took our own cases from the hotel to the taxi, yes no conceirge AGAIN!!!
This hotel badly needs upgrading on all accounts!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank hackbridge
Reviewed October 25, 2008

It's Saturday night and there is a party somewhere in the hotel and the music is so loud our room on the fourth floor is vibrating. A complaint to the front desk resulted in us being told that, although they too could feel the lobby shake, there is nothing the management can do about it except change our room. I don't believe there is any place in the hotel that wouldn't be affected by the noise. It's 11pm and we have a very early start tomorrow and all I want to do is get some sleep. I definitely don't recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank kazza01
Reviewed October 22, 2008

I've stayed at several of the main hotels in Perth, and often not been very impressed. However, despite some of the reviews, I was impressed by the Parmelia Hilton. The hotel is quiet. The location is unsurpassed for downtown Perth - whereas some hotels are quite a walk/short taxi ride away. The staff were pleasant, from start to go. And the rate I paid was reasonable. Yes, this is a hotel built 40 years ago - but the room I was in had been nicely renovated, and had some charm that more recent constructions lack. The fact that airline crews (who need their rest) stay in a hotel always means something to me - and I saw several during my stay at the Parmelia. If you need to be in central Perth (for example, for a convention or business meeting), this may be the hotel you are looking for!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank FrequentFrier
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed at this hotel 4 times over a period of 4 weeks.

The rooms varied from atrocious (I'm assuming it was the original 70's room that has never been renovated and they may think it is retro trendy to keep it this way) to above average (renovated within the last 10 years).

When we checked in to our room there was a mighty big cockroach outside out room (see the picture) and when we checked out the cockroach was still there even though our room had been cleaned three days in a row as with all the other rooms on our floor.

The best thing that Hilton could do with this hotel is demolish it.

Hilton should be ashamed to put their brand on this hotel.

We got better value at a three star hotel in Perth than we did at this Hilton.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DVS4017
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We got a great deal through wotif at this amazing hotel which we found out a few days before our stay was the first 5 star hotel in Australia back in 1968. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a king deluxe room and it was just amazing - very sophisticated and elegant. Great location, just unlucky for us we stayed during a public holiday so the city was especially quiet but very central spot. We didn't use the gym or pool facility but they looked great. The breakfast buffet was extremely good with a huge variety of foods available and it is clear they look after international visitors very well. Staff extremely friendly and professional - would definitely want to stay there again. Apparently they're undergoing an extensive renovation also, we saw the beginnings of that on the work happening outside so can't wait to see when finished.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MananaCake
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Stayed in Perth about 8 weeks ago, spent most of the time at the Hyatt (awesome hotel) as compared to the Hilton. Tho the hilton is in a better location.

I found the staff, service, all round quality of the property below par. Everything about them was either about cutting corners or trying to squeeze as much as they could out of you.

So i arrive early (noted in my res), I had a larger $7k+ booked hilton event booked at the hilton starting that day - I came suited and wanted to leave my bags in the room, I called the night before and also when I made my reservation and res notes. They said - we have no room for you. I said i'm happy anywhere. they said no. Come back at 10am. So I did.... still no room, they said they'd meet me at the function room 30 mins later with keys... no such thing... come 2pm, still no checkin, so about 4pm, they let me checkin - after having to go back to the desk and wait for 45 minutes... are they serious??? seems they are!

HH Gold - no upgrade, no b/fast voucher, nothing except some fruit (1 apple, some grapes and an old rotting bannana). That was my amenity. I asked for b/fast, they declined. I have never encountered a hilton in australia so adherent to policy. Hilton Bris, Melbourne, ex Sydney properties and Melb Airport are all flexible, friendly and always get a nice warm hearty breafkast plus an upgrade AND an amenity such as Brisbane (always a bottle of champagne, belgium choclates, 2 bottles of water and fruits), Melbourne Airport (fruit and cheese platter with bottle of wine), Melbourne (bottle of wine, water and a hand made dessert of choclates).... . Don't expect much at all from the Perth Hilton (but maybe we're too spoiled at the other hilton properties in Australia as HH Golds). Even though Melb Airport doesn't have an exec lounge - they know how to make up for it - jnr suites with sweeping views of the runway, the cheese, fruit platters and wine and the amazing breakfast in airo.

Meanwhile back at the Hilton Perth - The room card was not coded up for the gym, had to go back and ask. Then the card locked me out of the room when i came back from the gym. The phone service was expensive compared to the hyatt (i believe they charge in increments for the first 15 mins, then it's untimed, that's a first for me getting charged by the increments in an aussie hotel. And a late checkout? keep wishing. OK - we'll give you 30 mins extra. I've never encountered this - all other hiltons in Australia are more than happy if you need to check out at 4pm i've found.

walls are paper thin. tv is old, bathroom needs updating. beds and comfort in bed have a lot to be desired. Really big drop after the quality of the hyatt in perth.

Oh and that event.... they said I wouldn't receive any of the $7-8k in venue hire... because I had to have booked at least 10 room nights. Go figure hilton perth.

for the price (granted I paid for my nights accom there A$270/night), I expected a whole lot more for my queen standard room. Ah well... i'll never be staying here again. It's back to the regency club rooms at the hyatt with great service, great lounge, great pool, and value for money. Occasionally they do have good rates on friday nights. But jeez, I would still not stay there even if I had to rack up a stay, i'd just ruffle the sheets and leave!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business